SLOVAK or HUNGARIAN?

  • Tverdov@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 1, 2002
      Dear list members,

      I have a question about several family names I've recently found. Would the
      following names be Slovak or Hungarian? HATALA found in LDS records in early
      1800's, Kosice; MATUSCHAK in records from Hniezdne(just west of Stara
      Lubovna) from the 1700's and NIGRINI and KILIANI/KILLANI from the same town
      and time period.

      Thanks,
      Catherine Tverdov
      tverdov@...

    • frankly1us
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 1, 2002
        --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@y..., Tverdov@a... wrote:
        > Dear list members,
        >
        > I have a question about several family names I've recently found. Would t=
        he
        > following names be Slovak or Hungarian? HATALA found in LDS records in e=
        arly
        > 1800's, Kosice; MATUSCHAK in records from Hniezdne(just west of Stara
        > Lubovna) from the 1700's and NIGRINI and KILIANI/KILLANI from the same to=
        wn
        > and time period.
        >
        > Thanks,
        > Catherine Tverdov
        > tverdov@a...

        Don't know your surnames.

        Hatala is a Slovak surname which appears in Slovakia.

        Matuschak isn't a Magyar spelling, so probably a Slovak surname.

        Mathias (E) first name is Mátyás (H) and Matus (Sk)
        Probably a surname derived from this given name.
        With Slovak diacritic letters it was probably originally spelled Matus^c^á=
        k (Matushchak)

        There was an old Hungarian given name from a Celtic word Kilían meaning mo=
        nk.
        Hungarians names were derived from many other languages such as Latin
        and German.
        It also appears in Slovakia as a surname.
        Perhaps the surname was actually Kiliany ?

        Nigrini is a strange looking surname ?
        Can't tell the ethnicity of the the surname Nigrini ?

        Hniezdne (Sk) Gnézda (H) is located 178 miles ENE of Bratislava
        and 3 miles from Stará L'ubovn^a (Sk) O'bubló (H)

        Interesting region.
        Germans, Slovaks, Rusyns, Croatians, Hungarians, and Poles.
        Don't know which group settled here first in 12th, 14th, and 16th
        centuries.

        Not all people in East Central Europe who later spoke German
        owed their heritage to German settlers. Many were descendants of
        Germanized Slavs and in some cases Magyars whose ancestors had
        intermarried with neighbors of Germanic origin.

        Early in the 15th c the 16 towns in northern S^pis^ region (including
        Stará L'ubovn^a (S) O'lubló (H) and Vel'ké Sulín - were mortgaged to Pola=
        nd, under whose rule they remained 1412-1772.

        Maly' Sulín (Slovak) Szulin (H) was established in 1600. It was part of the=
        property of his lordship Plavec^ * and his own Croatian nobility, who had e=
        stablished the neighboring village of Vel'ké Sulín at the end of the 16th ce=
        ntury.

        Towns of Plavnica and Plavec^ were also part of the property of the
        Croatian nobility.
        * Plavnica, Plavec^ and nearby Plavec^ castle (Plavec^sky' hrad)