Re: [S-R] Slovak Names

  • frankly1us
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 31, 2002
      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@y..., SantiDClaireS@a... wrote:
      > Hi to all you experts,
      > I finally have found an alternative spelling to my grandfather's surname,=

      > SANTI. I found the church where an uncle married in Pennsylvania and wrot=
      > for more information. They sent me death information on my grandparents, =

      > which is something I had been looking for. The church records my grandfat=
      > as Michael Santi but my grandmother's name is written as Elizabeth Santij=
      > Out of 23 entries, that spelling is used 4 times. My uncles name is spell=
      > that way on his marriage entry, but spelled without the j on the baptism =

      > entries for five children. It is also spelled Santij for the marriage of =
      > aunt and also for another woman who I think is a cousin. My question, is =
      > more in the line of "proper" Slovak spelling since everyone keeps telling=
      > that Santi is not a Slovak name.
      > Also along same line, as I understand some of the posts that I read, ska =
      is a
      > feminine ending so if my grandmother's maiden name is given as Petruska, =
      > family name is really Petru?
      > I have no village or town information, have sent for death certificates
      > hoping that the informant knew where grandparents were born. If it was th=
      > oldest son, he should know since he was born in Austria Hungary also,
      > although he was brought to US as a two year old. I'm still looking for
      > immigration information so all I have is census info. 1900 census gives p=
      > of birth as Hungary but all the rest say Austria.
      > Any input is gratefully accepted. TIA Sandy

      Santij looks like a Slavic surname spelling.
      In Hungarian and most Slavic languages the letter j is pron. y.
      In Slavic surnames the letters i/y are usually interchangeable.

      There is a surname Santaj in Slovakia from around LĂșc^ka (Roz^nava)
      This doesn't mean it was your surname.

      The Czech Republic never permitted the LDS to film records in Czech-Bohemia=
      Have transliterated surname records from Czech Archives and their narrative=

      reports are written in Czech, while the actual records are usually trilingu=
      i.e., Czech-Latin-German.

      Czech Republic and Slovakia are two separate countries, nothwithstanding
      they were once Czechoslovakia 1920-1938 and 1945-1993.
      The pre-1895 records from the Slovak State Archives (and LDS)
      are written in Latin and Hungarian.

      Whether 1900/1910/1920 U.S. Censuses list Austria or Hungary as birthplace =
      means very little.
      Actual birth place could have been located somewhere between Austria and Mo=
      ntenegro in the Balkans ?
      Austria-Hungary, one of the largest countries of Europe in the 19th century=
      , was split
      into many countries (Austria, Hungary, Czechoslovakia, Yugoslavia, Romania=
      , the Soviet
      Union, Poland, Italy etc.) at the end of World War I (1918).
      When talking about people of Hungarian nationality it means that at least =
      50% of
      Hungarians became citizens of countries other than Hungary (Romania, Slovak=
      ia, Yugoslavia,
      the Soviet Union, Austria etc)