Re: [S-R] Re: Census madness

  • Andrea Vangor
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 27, 2002
      The idea that names were changed at Ellis Island seems to be one of those
      urban myths. In fact, the American immigration officials used the manifest
      lists written up at the European port, by people who were very familiar with
      all the languages.

      I think a lot of names were changed due to city directory entries. These
      were written by local people hired for petty patronage jobs. What they
      wrote had a lasting impact on the lives of the immigrants, because their
      name was published for all to see. I don't think anybody took any interest
      in what was written on a census record nor a passenger manifest.
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 29, 2002
        as hard as it is for some of us to understand all these differences-I can
        only imagine what the enumerators must have gone through back then-maybe
        barely understanding the immigrant and then having to decipher their
        origin-I still don't quite get all the differnces!:)