Re: [S-R] Re: Census madness

  • nbenyo@aol.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 27, 2002
      I find the passenger ship lists amazingly accurate. I've identified hundreds of relatives or "village people", and all but one was correctly identified as either Slovak or Ruthenian. The one mistake was identified as Slovene, but she happened to be listed on a page of mostly Slovenes (real Slovenes!).

      Although a variety of surname spellings were used (Polish, Hungarian and/or Slovak conventions were mixed together), none of the names were "Americanized" on the manifest.
    • Andrea Vangor
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 27, 2002
        The idea that names were changed at Ellis Island seems to be one of those
        urban myths. In fact, the American immigration officials used the manifest
        lists written up at the European port, by people who were very familiar with
        all the languages.

        I think a lot of names were changed due to city directory entries. These
        were written by local people hired for petty patronage jobs. What they
        wrote had a lasting impact on the lives of the immigrants, because their
        name was published for all to see. I don't think anybody took any interest
        in what was written on a census record nor a passenger manifest.
        > I find the passenger ship lists amazingly accurate. I've identified
        hundreds of relatives or "village people", and all but one was correctly
        identified as either Slovak or Ruthenian. The one mistake was identified as
        Slovene, but she happened to be listed on a page of mostly Slovenes (real
        Slovenes!).

        > Although a variety of surname spellings were used (Polish, Hungarian
        and/or Slovak conventions were mixed together), none of the names were
        "Americanized" on the manifest.

      • monica wentworth
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 29, 2002
          as hard as it is for some of us to understand all these differences-I can
          only imagine what the enumerators must have gone through back then-maybe
          barely understanding the immigrant and then having to decipher their
          origin-I still don't quite get all the differnces!:)