Re: Census madness

  • frankly1us
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 27, 2002
      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@y..., "Andrea Vangor" <drav@o...> wrote:
      > An Awful Warning: I have been strolling through the 1910 CT census
      on
      > Ancestry.com looking for assorted relatives, and was astonished to
      find my
      > Slovak great-grandparents identified as Slovenians coming from
      > "Austro-Slovenia".
      >
      > They would have spoken very little English at that point, having
      arrived in
      > 1905 and 1907. Still, that is the first time I ever came across
      this
      > particular blooper.

      Not until 1920 U.S. Census was this form of blooper began to be
      corrected.
      The 1920 U.S. Census reflected the political changes that occurred
      in Europe after 1918.
      Slovak(land) was often used for new part of Czechoslovakia
      that was now called Slovakia.
      The census record keeping didn't improve much until the 1920 U.S.
      Census when they hired some female census takers with Slavic surnames.
      Census-takers were for the most part white, Anglo males who spoke no
      foreign language.

      But, in ship manifest listings it continued into the 1920s.

      Have read any number of pre-WW I ship manifests and 1900/1910/1920
      U.S.
      Census enumeration microfilms where the term Slovak could mean either
      a Slovak or a Slovenian (depending on how knoweledgeable the writer).

      When I used to reply to surname queries at Searching in Slovakia
      website asked :

      Did you mean Slovakia or Slovenia ?
      Some who seek Slovenija (Slovenia) think it is the the same
      country as Slovakia (Slovensko)

      Slovenia was a part of former Yugoslavia in the Balkans.
      Slovakia was a part of former Czechoslovakia in Central Europe.

      Or, I asked :
      What was surname ethnicity ?
      Did you mean Austrian-Slovak or Austrian-Slovenian ?
      Before WW I, Slovakia was Hungarian and not Austrian.
      Before WW I, Slovenia was Austrian.
      When referring to the former Austrian Empire or Austro-Hungarian
      Monarchy (1867-1918) the term Austrian means very little in
      identification of surname ethnicity.
      Austrian meant nationality and not ethnicity.
      Have read pages of U.S. census enumerations where word Austria was
      later
      rubber stamped with Slovakland or Slovak.

      Slovak the official language of Slovakia is spoken by 5.6 million
      people.

      Ako sa maté ? (How are you ?)
      Rozumiem. (I understand )

      Slovenian is similar to Croatian and the official language of the
      Republic
      of Slovenia , formerly part of Yugoslavia.
      Total about 2.2 million speakers (2 million are in Slovenia)

      Kako ste ? (How are you ?)
      Razumen. (I understand )

      The Cleveland, OH area had the largest concentration of Slovenes
      outside of the capital city of Ljubljana, Slovenia.

      If you write to Slovenija and don't use Slovenia, the letter
      probably gets mailed to Slovakia. If you use Slovensko for Slovakia
      the letter probably ends up in Slovenia ?
      U.S. Postal Service only recognizes these countries under "Slovenia"
      and "Slovak Republic".

      Slovenia had once been part of former Yugoslavia in the Balkans until
      it gained its independence in 1990s.
      Slovakia had once been part of Czechoslovakia in Central Europe until
      it gained its independence in 1993.
      There was confusion even back then which contimues into 2001.

      A Slovenian recently wrote a letter to Slovenia and it ended up in
      Sierra Leone (Africa, where a civil war is being waged)
      The letter sat there was a month, before being forwarded to
      Bratislava, Slovkia, from where is was finally forwarded to the correct add=
      ress in Ljubljana, Slovenia a month later.

      A Slovenian had attempted to enter Slovakia on a Slovenian passport
      and was denied entry.
      Border guard had never seen a Slovene passport and was convinced it
      was a forgered Slovakia passport.
      After conversation with customs supervisor Slovenian was able to
      convince them that it was a legitimate passport.

      Actually, Slovak a west Slavic language is probably closest to Slovenian a =
      south Slavic language.