Re: [S-R] Census madness

  • Dee Hass
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 27, 2002
      I do not find a 1910 CT Census on ancestry.com. I was going to take a look to see how my relatives were listed. Are you certain it was the above web site or another?

      --

      On Tue, 26 Mar 2002 22:41:46
      Andrea Vangor wrote:
      >An Awful Warning: I have been strolling through the 1910 CT census on
      >Ancestry.com looking for assorted relatives, and was astonished to find my
      >Slovak great-grandparents identified as Slovenians coming from
      >"Austro-Slovenia".
      >
      >They would have spoken very little English at that point, having arrived in
      >1905 and 1907. Still, that is the first time I ever came across this
      >particular blooper.

      See Dave Matthews Band live or win a signed guitar
      http://r.lycos.com/r/bmgfly_mail_dmb/http://win.ipromotions.com/lycos_020201/splash.asp
    • Caye Caswick
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 27, 2002
        I believe it is something you must be a member to obtain -- although, I've heard some Census are purchasable on CD. Also the 1930 Census should be available shortly as well.
        Caye

        Dee Hass <deehass@...> wrote: I do not find a 1910 CT Census on ancestry.com. I was going to take a look to see how my relatives were listed. Are you certain it was the above web site or another?

        --

        On Tue, 26 Mar 2002 22:41:46
        Andrea Vangor wrote:
        >An Awful Warning: I have been strolling through the 1910 CT census on
        >Ancestry.com looking for assorted relatives, and was astonished to find my
        >Slovak great-grandparents identified as Slovenians coming from
        >"Austro-Slovenia".
        >
        >They would have spoken very little English at that point, having arrived in
        >1905 and 1907. Still, that is the first time I ever came across this
        >particular blooper.

        See Dave Matthews Band live or win a signed guitar
        http://r.lycos.com/r/bmgfly_mail_dmb/http://win.ipromotions.com/lycos_020201/splash.asp

        Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 27, 2002
          There are many many errors in the census records - I believe they resulted from uninformed census takers. I have accessed several Ohio census records and found that my Slovak great-grandparents were listed as coming from "Slovakland." Almost all of the Slovaks in the 1900 and 1910 census records were listed this way. As many of you have probably seen, the immigration databases (e.g., the Immigration Records Translation Guild) usually list "Austria" for Slovak immigrants.
        • Andrea Vangor
          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 27, 2002
            I don't mind "Slovakland" -- it is at least accurate. Slovenia, now, is a
            whole different country. I'd rather like to imagine my relatives claiming
            that they came from Slovakland instead of Hungary!

            Message 5 of 8 , Mar 27, 2002
              Yes, you have to be a member and/or pay extra to search their database. But
              all the censuses (censi????) are there. Not all are indexed; only a scant
              few from the 1920. But in fact not all the 1910 censuses were indexed
              anyway. I struggled through some microfilms at NARA last year or so, to
              find my great-grandmother's family in Bridgeport in the 1910, and managed t
              succeed.

              Now, armed with my pile of ancient city maps from a directory of the period,
              I am strolling through 1910 Bridgeport looking for my relatives. Both
              Jewish and Slovak -- three-fourths of my grandparents grew up in Bridgeport.
              I have addresses from the 1910 city directory and then try to figure out
              which Enumeration District they are in. Since they were all poor
              working-class people, I can ignore the expensive neighborhoods.

              Message 6 of 8 , Mar 28, 2002
                Andrea,
                Perhaps you and I should get in touch with each other! I too am searching my Slovak great-grandparents who were in Bridgeport in 1910.
                Family names of Lokaj (Lokay), Soltis and Zaleta.
                I'm finding it very hard to navigate the census with so many districts and I don't have an address for reference.

                I am new to this mission and your comments lead me to think that you are a veteran.

                Please email me if you are so inclined. Your input would be greatly appreciated.

                Message 7 of 8 , Mar 28, 2002
                  I will tell you what you need: get your hands on the microfilms for
                  Bridgeport City Directories, through the Family History Center. You can
                  track your relatives from about 1902 until 1919, more or less. Before that
                  year, you can call up the B'port Public Library and ask them to look up one
                  or two names for you. It is recommended to write a letter for more
                  information.

                  I actually found a couple of angels who have looked up various things for
                  me. I send them a $20 from time to time as a thank-you.

                  But, with the city directories, you find out where people lived. The
                  missing link is a map of the old city. Every city directory has one. I
                  made a copy -- multiple pages that overlap -- of a 1906 map, I think. So,
                  when I am trying to find someone in the census, and I know the address, I
                  have to play another game trying to pinpoint it on the map re the list of
                  Enumeration Districts that Ancestry.com provides. Which, by the way, is
                  identical to what you get on a microfilm at NARA.

                  They tell you the boundary streets and you try to figure out where you are.
                  For the 1910, we are stuck doing it this way, as you know.

                  Cheers and good luck,

                  Message 8 of 8 , Mar 29, 2002
                    Many thanks for pointing me in the right direction.