Census madness

  • Andrea Vangor
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 26, 2002
      An Awful Warning: I have been strolling through the 1910 CT census on
      Ancestry.com looking for assorted relatives, and was astonished to find my
      Slovak great-grandparents identified as Slovenians coming from
      "Austro-Slovenia".

      They would have spoken very little English at that point, having arrived in
      1905 and 1907. Still, that is the first time I ever came across this
      particular blooper.
    • frankly1us
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 27, 2002
        --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@y..., "Andrea Vangor" <drav@o...> wrote:
        > An Awful Warning: I have been strolling through the 1910 CT census
        on
        > Ancestry.com looking for assorted relatives, and was astonished to
        find my
        > Slovak great-grandparents identified as Slovenians coming from
        > "Austro-Slovenia".
        >
        > They would have spoken very little English at that point, having
        arrived in
        > 1905 and 1907. Still, that is the first time I ever came across
        this
        > particular blooper.

        Not until 1920 U.S. Census was this form of blooper began to be
        corrected.
        The 1920 U.S. Census reflected the political changes that occurred
        in Europe after 1918.
        Slovak(land) was often used for new part of Czechoslovakia
        that was now called Slovakia.
        The census record keeping didn't improve much until the 1920 U.S.
        Census when they hired some female census takers with Slavic surnames.
        Census-takers were for the most part white, Anglo males who spoke no
        foreign language.

        But, in ship manifest listings it continued into the 1920s.

        Have read any number of pre-WW I ship manifests and 1900/1910/1920
        U.S.
        Census enumeration microfilms where the term Slovak could mean either
        a Slovak or a Slovenian (depending on how knoweledgeable the writer).

        When I used to reply to surname queries at Searching in Slovakia
        website asked :

        Did you mean Slovakia or Slovenia ?
        Some who seek Slovenija (Slovenia) think it is the the same
        country as Slovakia (Slovensko)

        Slovenia was a part of former Yugoslavia in the Balkans.
        Slovakia was a part of former Czechoslovakia in Central Europe.

        Or, I asked :
        What was surname ethnicity ?
        Did you mean Austrian-Slovak or Austrian-Slovenian ?
        Before WW I, Slovakia was Hungarian and not Austrian.
        Before WW I, Slovenia was Austrian.
        When referring to the former Austrian Empire or Austro-Hungarian
        Monarchy (1867-1918) the term Austrian means very little in
        identification of surname ethnicity.
        Austrian meant nationality and not ethnicity.
        Have read pages of U.S. census enumerations where word Austria was
        later
        rubber stamped with Slovakland or Slovak.

        Slovak the official language of Slovakia is spoken by 5.6 million
        people.

        Ako sa maté ? (How are you ?)
        Rozumiem. (I understand )

        Slovenian is similar to Croatian and the official language of the
        Republic
        of Slovenia , formerly part of Yugoslavia.
        Total about 2.2 million speakers (2 million are in Slovenia)

        Kako ste ? (How are you ?)
        Razumen. (I understand )

        The Cleveland, OH area had the largest concentration of Slovenes
        outside of the capital city of Ljubljana, Slovenia.

        If you write to Slovenija and don't use Slovenia, the letter
        probably gets mailed to Slovakia. If you use Slovensko for Slovakia
        the letter probably ends up in Slovenia ?
        U.S. Postal Service only recognizes these countries under "Slovenia"
        and "Slovak Republic".

        Slovenia had once been part of former Yugoslavia in the Balkans until
        it gained its independence in 1990s.
        Slovakia had once been part of Czechoslovakia in Central Europe until
        it gained its independence in 1993.
        There was confusion even back then which contimues into 2001.

        A Slovenian recently wrote a letter to Slovenia and it ended up in
        Sierra Leone (Africa, where a civil war is being waged)
        The letter sat there was a month, before being forwarded to
        Bratislava, Slovkia, from where is was finally forwarded to the correct add=
        ress in Ljubljana, Slovenia a month later.

        A Slovenian had attempted to enter Slovakia on a Slovenian passport
        and was denied entry.
        Border guard had never seen a Slovene passport and was convinced it
        was a forgered Slovakia passport.
        After conversation with customs supervisor Slovenian was able to
        convince them that it was a legitimate passport.

        Actually, Slovak a west Slavic language is probably closest to Slovenian a =
        south Slavic language.