Re: [S-R] Re: Hanigovce near Sabinov

  • Richard D. Custer
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 25 7:46 PM
      Vul'shynky [now Vil'shynky] is in Ukraine, Zakarpatska Oblast.

      However, it is in that part of Ukraine which *used to be* in Czechoslovakia,
      namely Subcarpathian Rus'.
      Vul'shynky, Ung/Uzh County, is now part of the Perechynskyj Rajon [Perechyn
      District], Zakarpatska Oblast [Transcarpathian Region], Ukraine.

      The village appears on this map segment:
      http://www.lemko.org/atlas/Pages/Pg38.html
      In the lower third of the map, look just west of the blue arrow. In
      Cyrillic alphabet it appears like this: BI/|bWUHKU. This is about 20 km
      north of the city of Uzhhorod.

      Zakarpatska Oblast was part of Czechoslovakia (the eastern province, known
      as Podkarpatska Rus' or Subcarpathian Rus'/Ruthenia) from ~1920 until 1945
      when it was given to the Soviet Union.

      Most of Vul'shynky's inhabitants were/are Byzantine/Greek Catholics or
      Eastern Orthodox, and ethnically Rusyn.

      Rich Custer
      Carpatho-Rusyn Society
      www.carpathorusynsociety.org