Re: [S-R] Re: Hanigovce near Sabinov

  • David J Hanich
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 25, 2002
      Hello!

      I've just received the naturalization papers for my grandfather, Frank
      Hanich. They say that his place of birth was Vulsinki, Czechoslovakia.
      This was in 1925, although he emigrated in 1907, so he was using the
      then-current name of the country. I can't find any town by the name of
      Vulsinki. I believe he came from the Hungarian megye of Zemplen. My
      grandmother was from Hanigovce, Saris, but they didn't meet until they
      had immigrated to Perth Amboy, NJ where they were married. Soon after
      they moved to Aliquippa, PA, (Beaver County, northwest of Pittsburgh,
      where all of their children were born.
      Does anyone know where Vulsinki is?)

      Thanks! --David Hanich
    • Richard D. Custer
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 25, 2002
        Vul'shynky [now Vil'shynky] is in Ukraine, Zakarpatska Oblast.

        However, it is in that part of Ukraine which *used to be* in Czechoslovakia,
        namely Subcarpathian Rus'.
        Vul'shynky, Ung/Uzh County, is now part of the Perechynskyj Rajon [Perechyn
        District], Zakarpatska Oblast [Transcarpathian Region], Ukraine.

        The village appears on this map segment:
        http://www.lemko.org/atlas/Pages/Pg38.html
        In the lower third of the map, look just west of the blue arrow. In
        Cyrillic alphabet it appears like this: BI/|bWUHKU. This is about 20 km
        north of the city of Uzhhorod.

        Zakarpatska Oblast was part of Czechoslovakia (the eastern province, known
        as Podkarpatska Rus' or Subcarpathian Rus'/Ruthenia) from ~1920 until 1945
        when it was given to the Soviet Union.

        Most of Vul'shynky's inhabitants were/are Byzantine/Greek Catholics or
        Eastern Orthodox, and ethnically Rusyn.

        Rich Custer
        Carpatho-Rusyn Society
        www.carpathorusynsociety.org