Re: [S-R] Need help with town locations in Slovakia: Orava, Lipnica, Terssten...

  • EMSCRS@aol.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 22, 2002
      Have you been to all the Czech websites? One problem, is that none of these
      areas are now where they were then. That is, they didn't move, but are under
      different countries at different times. My family's records indicate that
      they were from Hungary, but they were actually from Bohemia. The Czech
      Embassy is very helpful, and there are researchers they can refer you to.
      Town name spellings are often confusing, as sometimes they were spelled the
      way they sounded to officials, rather than the accurate spelling. I got a
      lot of help from the Austrian Philatelic Society (I have no idea how I got
      there) and they were really nice. Good luck Elizabeth
    • EMSCRS@aol.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 22, 2002
        Forgot to say - just because he was living there before he came here does not
        mean that that was where he was from originally.
      • Wvlyle@aol.com
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 22, 2002
          Thanks for the tips Elizabeth; Lyle Corder