Need help with town locations in Slovakia: Orava, Lipnica, Tersstena, Tablonka

  • Wvlyle@aol.com
    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 22, 2002
      Trying to find where the Lehosit family lived in Slovakia. Really confused
      here. I have been told and found the following:

      They were from the Orava region.

      They were from Tersstena, Lipnica on the Austria-Hungary border.

      Here is what I have found on maps and some immigration listings:

      I have found the Orava Region; found the river and lake in northcentral
      Slovakia near the Poland border.

      I have found a Trstena, near the Orava Lake on Rt 59, northeast of the city
      Martin.

      I brought up another map from Expedia.com and found another Trstena listed
      just west of Martin. Are there two or is one of the maps incorrect?

      On Lipnica; now that one has me stumped. I have found some immigrants with
      Slovak names listing Lipnica as their former place of residence. Some just
      say Lipnica and some say Lipnica, Hungary.

      In 1902, a Karoly Lihosit 25, listed his place of residence before coming
      here as:
      TABLONKA. Now, that one has me really confused too. Can't find any name
      like that. WE THINK HE IS THE RIGHT LEHOSIT FAMILY. The age is about right
      and a Karoly Lehosit lived here in WV. We think his father was Karoly
      Charles Lehosit who married Anna Saligo/Saliga about 1878.

      Now, I suppose these people could have been spread out a bit in the years
      before coming to America. Really need some help. I have looked at about all
      the maps I can find locally.

      Thanks for the help...

      Lyle Corder

    • patskanovo
      Message 2 of 10 , Jun 11, 2011
        "On Lipnica; now that one has me stumped. I have found some immigrants
        with
        Slovak names listing Lipnica as their former place of residence. Some
        just
        say Lipnica and some say Lipnica, Hungary."

        Hello Group,

        Pretty much have followed this members path researching this area......

        I am working the Name Jozef Wrona from Lipnica. Emigrated 1905,Arrived
        Ellis Island September 5th. Age 15...changed Surname to "Vrona" Lived in
        Crucible,PA and died in Cleveland , Ohio April 1972.

        Searching for more information on the region of Galicia known as
        Orava,which is now part of Poland and the village of Lipnica.

        I am trying to home in on which Lipnica Jozef may have been from,
        Lipnica Wielka/Velka Lipnica or Lipnica Mala....

        Can anyone expand on this?

        Thanks, Dennis

        --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, Wvlyle@... wrote:

        > Trying to find where the Lehosit family lived in Slovakia. Really
        confused
        > here. I have been told and found the following:
        >
        > They were from the Orava region.
        >
        > They were from Tersstena, Lipnica on the Austria-Hungary border.
        >
        > Here is what I have found on maps and some immigration listings:
        >
        > I have found the Orava Region; found the river and lake in
        northcentral
        > Slovakia near the Poland border.
        >
        > I have found a Trstena, near the Orava Lake on Rt 59, northeast of the
        city
        > Martin.
        >
        > I brought up another map from Expedia.com and found another Trstena
        listed
        > just west of Martin. Are there two or is one of the maps incorrect?
        >
        > On Lipnica; now that one has me stumped. I have found some immigrants
        with
        > Slovak names listing Lipnica as their former place of residence. Some
        just
        > say Lipnica and some say Lipnica, Hungary.
        >
        > In 1902, a Karoly Lihosit 25, listed his place of residence before
        coming
        > here as:
        > TABLONKA. Now, that one has me really confused too. Can't find any
        name
        > like that. WE THINK HE IS THE RIGHT LEHOSIT FAMILY. The age is about
        right
        > and a Karoly Lehosit lived here in WV. We think his father was Karoly
        > Charles Lehosit who married Anna Saligo/Saliga about 1878.
        >
        > Now, I suppose these people could have been spread out a bit in the
        years
        > before coming to America. Really need some help. I have looked at
        about all
        > the maps I can find locally.
        >
        > Thanks for the help...
        >
        > Lyle Corder

      • nilo3rak
        Message 3 of 10 , Jun 11, 2011
          To get your bearings, go to the historical maps on Bill's site. You want to look at Arva (Orava) county, in the historical Hungarian map collection. (or the map is here http://lazarus.elte.hu/hun/maps/1910/arva.jpg

          In the upper right hand corner of the map, in green, is the jaras or district of Trsztena.

          You shouldn't have any trouble finding Jablonka, which is your "Fablonka" as a transcription error. To the NW is Lipnicza.

          The bad news is that t

          > "On Lipnica; now that one has me stumped. I have found some immigrants
          > with
          > Slovak names listing Lipnica as their former place of residence. Some
          > just
          > say Lipnica and some say Lipnica, Hungary."
          >

          > Hello Group,
          >
          > Pretty much have followed this members path researching this area......
          >
          > I am working the Name Jozef Wrona from Lipnica. Emigrated 1905,Arrived
          > Ellis Island September 5th. Age 15...changed Surname to "Vrona" Lived in
          > Crucible,PA and died in Cleveland , Ohio April 1972.
          >

          > Searching for more information on the region of Galicia known as
          > Orava,which is now part of Poland and the village of Lipnica.
          >
          > I am trying to home in on which Lipnica Jozef may have been from,
          > Lipnica Wielka/Velka Lipnica or Lipnica Mala....
          >
          > Can anyone expand on this?
          >
          > Thanks, Dennis
          >

          > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, Wvlyle@ wrote:
          > >
          > > Trying to find where the Lehosit family lived in Slovakia. Really
          > confused
          > > here. I have been told and found the following:
          > >
          > > They were from the Orava region.
          > >
          > > They were from Tersstena, Lipnica on the Austria-Hungary border.
          > >
          > > Here is what I have found on maps and some immigration listings:
          > >
          > > I have found the Orava Region; found the river and lake in
          > northcentral
          > > Slovakia near the Poland border.
          > >
          > > I have found a Trstena, near the Orava Lake on Rt 59, northeast of the
          > city
          > > Martin.
          > >
          > > I brought up another map from Expedia.com and found another Trstena
          > listed
          > > just west of Martin. Are there two or is one of the maps incorrect?
          > >
          > > On Lipnica; now that one has me stumped. I have found some immigrants
          > with
          > > Slovak names listing Lipnica as their former place of residence. Some
          > just
          > > say Lipnica and some say Lipnica, Hungary.
          > >
          > > In 1902, a Karoly Lihosit 25, listed his place of residence before
          > coming
          > > here as:
          > > TABLONKA. Now, that one has me really confused too. Can't find any
          > name
          > > like that. WE THINK HE IS THE RIGHT LEHOSIT FAMILY. The age is about
          > right
          > > and a Karoly Lehosit lived here in WV. We think his father was Karoly
          > > Charles Lehosit who married Anna Saligo/Saliga about 1878.
          > >
          > > Now, I suppose these people could have been spread out a bit in the
          > years
          > > before coming to America. Really need some help. I have looked at
          > about all
          > > the maps I can find locally.
          > >
          > > Thanks for the help...
          > >
          > > Lyle Corder

        • patskanovo
          Message 4 of 10 , Jun 11, 2011
            The bad news is that t.......?? Nilo?

            --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "nilo3rak" <eirrac25@...> wrote:

> [...]
            > > with
            > > > Slovak names listing Lipnica as their former place of residence. Some
            > > just
            > > > say Lipnica and some say Lipnica, Hungary.
            > > >
            > > > In 1902, a Karoly Lihosit 25, listed his place of residence before
            > > coming
            > > > here as:
            > > > TABLONKA. Now, that one has me really confused too. Can't find any
            > > name
            > > > like that. WE THINK HE IS THE RIGHT LEHOSIT FAMILY. The age is about
            > > right
            > > > and a Karoly Lehosit lived here in WV. We think his father was Karoly
            > > > Charles Lehosit who married Anna Saligo/Saliga about 1878.
            > > >
            > > > Now, I suppose these people could have been spread out a bit in the
            > > years
            > > > before coming to America. Really need some help. I have looked at

          • nilo3rak
            Message 5 of 10 , Jun 11, 2011
              Sorry, my computer crashed. Back to Arva county, Trsztena district and Jablonka and Lipnicza - and the bad news. In 1920, Poland took or was given that part of Arva county. The church records for these villages handed over to Poland have not been filmed by the LDS. Neither has the 1869 census.

              It is possible to visit a church to view records. Another option is to hire a researcher (someone like Vlado Flak).

              My families are from Pekelnik and Jablonka, and I have found the site
              Polish Origins http://polishorigins.com/document/home_page quite helpful. It has place, surname, and relative databases. They also sponsor targeted tours and may arrange for you to visit churches of interest.

              Cleveland is my home town. There used to be so many Slovaks there.

              Carolyn

            • nilo3rak
              Message 6 of 10 , Jun 11, 2011
                I took a hard look at the old Hungarian map. The convention seems to be that the name Lipnicza, and also the name Zubricza, is placed midway between the locations of an F. and an A., denoting Felso Lipnicza or upper Lipnicza, and Also Lipnicza or lower Lipnicza.

                You can do the same for Zubricza.

                This old map also has some distortion of distance and direction.

                The Google Earth, modern map of Poland, now has F. Lipnicza named Lipnica Mala (little Lipnica) and A. Lipnicza named Lipnica Wielka (big Lipnica).

                Lipnica Wielka is 3.9 km from Lipnica Mala, 6.3 km from Jablonka. So they are really not that far apart.

                We are probably related. How, when and where that happened, who knows. I have some close matches, genetically speaking, but they all seem to lead to somewhere in the distant past in the Western Ukraine.

                Carolyn
              • patskanovo
                Message 7 of 10 , Jun 11, 2011
                  I am from Cleveland too! Old Brooklyn on the West Side...

                  Thanks Carolyn.

                  Dennis

                • nilo3rak
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jun 11, 2011
                    Me too! Lived near the airport and went to John Marshall. Parents and their generation from "Birdtown" in Lakewood. All married there in SS Cyril & Methodius church.

                    Carolyn

                    > I am from Cleveland too! Old Brooklyn on the West Side...
                    >
                    > Thanks Carolyn.
                    >
                    > Dennis
                    >

                    > .
                  • patskanovo
                    Message 9 of 10 , Jun 12, 2011
                      Carolyn,

                      Most of my family attended Holy Ghost/Spirit in Tremont and later Parma. Also St.Theodosius for the Russian Orthodox crowd..

                      Sure miss Cleveland.(Can't believe I said that!)

                      Dennis

                      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "nilo3rak" <eirrac25@...> wrote:

                      > Me too! Lived near the airport and went to John Marshall. Parents and their generation from "Birdtown" in Lakewood. All married there in SS Cyril & Methodius church.
                      >
                      > Carolyn
                      >
                      > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "patskanovo" <ddhalusker@> wrote:
                      > >

                      > > I am from Cleveland too! Old Brooklyn on the West Side...
                      > >
                      > > Thanks Carolyn.
                      > >
                      > > Dennis
                      > >

                      > > .

                    • tom geiss
                      Message 10 of 10 , Jun 12, 2011
                        I attended OLA church on Rocky River Drive. My grandma died in Lakewood in 1939. She was born in SPIS.
                        I wasn't paying attention back then, but now I notice the old Slovak names of BEDNAR and JENKO.