Re: [S-R] Risko/Vintondale

  • EMSCRS@aol.com
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 22, 2002
      I am not Shelley - I think you have your addresses confused. Unfortunately,
      I have never heard of the families you need. I am looking for Csejka's. I
      wish you all the luck in the world in your search, I'm getting nowhere with
      mine. Elizabeth
    • shelley20640
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 1, 2002
        Hello Richard,

        Sorry to take so long to get back with you, but I was checking to
        see that I had the right Charles Risko. Luckily I got ahold of a 2nd
        cousin that had her mothers birth certificate. She was born in
        Vintondale, Pa and her parents were Charles Risko and Anna Chabra
        (maiden name) so it is the right Charles and Annie in the 1920
        census. You said that Vasyl and Anna had 2 children baptized in 1908
        and 1909. Their oldest children were Charlie born 1907 and Steve
        born 1909. So it could be them. I'm sure they are the Riskos on the
        1920 census, and all the children are listed as born in PA. On the
        1920 census it said that Charles immigrated in 1900 and family
        history says that he went to live with an Uncle, I'm not sure if it
        was in Pa or not, but their does seem to be a few Riskos living
        there. You seem to know alot about the history of Hungary, so I have
        a question. Charles was in a prison camp and escaped and came to the
        US. He was here in 1900, it must have been something that was going
        on in the 1890's. Family members thought it was the breakup of
        Austria/Hungary, but he was here and had children before that, also
        the earliest Russian Revolution I can find is 1905. I only heard he
        was in a prison camp, but other family members said they heard he was
        a soldier, but I'm not sure what he was fighting for? Other cousins
        said that the family were "white russians" and that that meant they
        weren't communist. I don't know how true that is, but my
        ggrandfather did tell my father that he hated communist, so I'm not
        sure. I saw your other post about not being able to email me, my
        email address is scobby@.... I don't know why yahoo list that
        yahoo address for this group when it gives my real email for all the
        rest of my groups. Sorry this has been so long.

        Thanks,
        Shelley Clark

        --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@y..., "Richard D. Custer" <rcuster@e...> wrote:
        > Hi Shelley,
        >
        > Where did Charles Risko go to church? Where is he buried? There
        were
        > several immigrant Risko men (e.g., John, Nicholas, Michael) in
        Vintondale;
        > some of them are buried in the Saints Peter & Paul Russian Orthodox
        Church
        > cemetery:
        > http://members.tripod.com/warholic/st_p_&_p_vintondale.htm
        >
        > These people were Carpatho-Rusyns; not Slovaks, not Hungarians.
        They were
        > from the village of Drahovo, Maramaros County, Hungary.
        >
        > I see a Vasyl' Risko (Vasyl'/Basil usually was Anglicized to
        Charles) who
        > had a child baptized in this church in 1908, another in 1909. His
        wife is
        > listed as Anna. Vasyl' was from Drahovo as well.
        >
        > Drahovo is now in Ukraine. However, they are in that part of
        Ukraine which
        > *used to be* in Czechoslovakia, namely Zakarpattia / Subcarpathian
        Rus'.
        > Drahovo, Maramaros County, Hungary, is now part of the Khustskyj
        Rajon
        > [Khust District], Zakarpatska Oblast [Transcarpathian Region],
        Ukraine.

        > Drahovo appears on this map segment:
        > http://www.lemko.org/atlas/Pages/Pg59.html
        > In the lower third of the map, look just east of the red blotch,
        the city of
        > Khust (XYCT). It's along the road from Khust; the road goes east &
        north to
        > Drahovo.
        >
        > Zakarpatska Oblast was part of Czechoslovakia (the eastern
        province, known
        > as Podkarpatska Rus' or Subcarpathian Rus'/Ruthenia) from ~1920
        until 1945
        > when it was given to the Soviet Union.
        >

        > Rich Custer
        > Carpatho-Rusyn Society
        > www.carpathorusynsociety.org
        > www.carpatho-rusyn.org

        Vintondale,
        > > Pa. His name was Charles Risko, his age (45 in 1920) and the
        > > children's name match the information I have on him. I had always
        > > been told he was Hungarian. On the census form he is listed as
        being
        > > born in Austria and beside Austria was the word Slovak. I know
        that