Risko/Vintondale

  • shelley20640
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 21, 2002
      Frankly 1 and Milan thanks so much for helping me. I was able to
      find out alot of information once I knew what the columns were. I
      went and looked up the names of all of the columns. I was able to
      find out that Charles immigrated here when he was 25 and that Annie
      came here when she was 5. That matches my family history. He was to
      have come here alone as a young man and met her in New York City.
      Also when I was little my grandmother told me how terrible New York
      was, how her mother when she was a very young child had to work in
      factories. All the children had to work that was the only way they
      could survive. In the census records I found that Charles could read
      and write but Annie could not, so even though she spent her childhood
      in the US she had never gone to school.

      I know that you said alot of the census records were rubber stamped
      Slovak. I was lucky they were all hand written. Also it listed both
      of them as being born in Austria and that their language was Slovak.
      I looked at other families in the area and they seem to have recorded
      accurately. I found some families listed as born in Austria but
      their language is Magyar.

      One thing that did throw me for a few minutes. Was that Charles was
      listed as a merchant when I thought he would have been a miner. But
      he might have been a miner for a while and then opened a store. He's
      listed as owning a grocery store. Then I remembered when I was little
      my g-uncle Steve Risko ran a grocery store which the Riskos had run
      for years. So that makes sense also.

      One clue that I have is he was writing letters to Hungary and
      Denmark. By the dates on the stamps it was 1937 or after. My
      grandmother saved the stamps and gave them to me, but they had cut
      them off the letters. I would have been great to have had the return
      address. Oh well.

      I can't seem to find any information on them in 1910. But if they
      might have still been in New York. If they lived in some tenement
      section of New York, I'm not sure how well the census takers covered
      those areas. Also I still can't figure out why he was in a prison
      camp. He came here in 1900, so it must have been something that was
      going on in the 1890's. I'll have to do more research on that.
      Sorry I have dragged on so long.

      Thank you again for your help,
      Shelley Clark
    • Richard D. Custer
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 21, 2002
        Hi Shelley,

        Where did Charles Risko go to church? Where is he buried? There were
        several immigrant Risko men (e.g., John, Nicholas, Michael) in Vintondale;
        some of them are buried in the Saints Peter & Paul Russian Orthodox Church
        cemetery:
        http://members.tripod.com/warholic/st_p_&_p_vintondale.htm

        These people were Carpatho-Rusyns; not Slovaks, not Hungarians. They were
        from the village of Drahovo, Maramaros County, Hungary.

        I see a Vasyl' Risko (Vasyl'/Basil usually was Anglicized to Charles) who
        had a child baptized in this church in 1908, another in 1909. His wife is
        listed as Anna. Vasyl' was from Drahovo as well.

        Drahovo is now in Ukraine. However, they are in that part of Ukraine which
        *used to be* in Czechoslovakia, namely Zakarpattia / Subcarpathian Rus'.
        Drahovo, Maramaros County, Hungary, is now part of the Khustskyj Rajon
        [Khust District], Zakarpatska Oblast [Transcarpathian Region], Ukraine.

        Drahovo appears on this map segment:
        http://www.lemko.org/atlas/Pages/Pg59.html
        In the lower third of the map, look just east of the red blotch, the city of
        Khust (XYCT). It's along the road from Khust; the road goes east & north to
        Drahovo.

        Zakarpatska Oblast was part of Czechoslovakia (the eastern province, known
        as Podkarpatska Rus' or Subcarpathian Rus'/Ruthenia) from ~1920 until 1945
        when it was given to the Soviet Union.

        Rich Custer
        Carpatho-Rusyn Society
        www.carpathorusynsociety.org
        www.carpatho-rusyn.org

        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 22, 2002
          I am not Shelley - I think you have your addresses confused. Unfortunately,
          I have never heard of the families you need. I am looking for Csejka's. I
          wish you all the luck in the world in your search, I'm getting nowhere with
          mine. Elizabeth
        • shelley20640
          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 1, 2002
            Hello Richard,

            Sorry to take so long to get back with you, but I was checking to
            see that I had the right Charles Risko. Luckily I got ahold of a 2nd
            cousin that had her mothers birth certificate. She was born in
            Vintondale, Pa and her parents were Charles Risko and Anna Chabra
            (maiden name) so it is the right Charles and Annie in the 1920
            census. You said that Vasyl and Anna had 2 children baptized in 1908
            and 1909. Their oldest children were Charlie born 1907 and Steve
            born 1909. So it could be them. I'm sure they are the Riskos on the
            1920 census, and all the children are listed as born in PA. On the
            1920 census it said that Charles immigrated in 1900 and family
            history says that he went to live with an Uncle, I'm not sure if it
            was in Pa or not, but their does seem to be a few Riskos living
            there. You seem to know alot about the history of Hungary, so I have
            a question. Charles was in a prison camp and escaped and came to the
            US. He was here in 1900, it must have been something that was going
            on in the 1890's. Family members thought it was the breakup of
            Austria/Hungary, but he was here and had children before that, also
            the earliest Russian Revolution I can find is 1905. I only heard he
            was in a prison camp, but other family members said they heard he was
            a soldier, but I'm not sure what he was fighting for? Other cousins
            said that the family were "white russians" and that that meant they
            weren't communist. I don't know how true that is, but my
            ggrandfather did tell my father that he hated communist, so I'm not
            sure. I saw your other post about not being able to email me, my
            email address is scobby@.... I don't know why yahoo list that
            yahoo address for this group when it gives my real email for all the
            rest of my groups. Sorry this has been so long.

            Thanks,
            Shelley Clark