Risko/Vintondale

  • shelley20640
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 18, 2002
      Hello everyone,

      On friday I believe I found my ggrandfather listed in Vintondale,
      Pa. His name was Charles Risko, his age (45 in 1920) and the
      children's name match the information I have on him. I had always
      been told he was Hungarian. On the census form he is listed as being
      born in Austria and beside Austria was the word Slovak. I know that
      he had been a coal miner in Hungary and lived in New York for
      awhile. Then moved to PA, where he was a coal miner again. There is
      also a story that he had been in a prison camp and escaped and came
      to the United States. I'm not sure what was going on in Europe at
      that time (why he would have been imprisoned). I have also in the
      last few days tried to do some research on Slovacs, but everything
      was so techincal that I still don't know who the Slovac are, or what
      language they speak. I'm hoping some of you would be able to answer
      some of my questions.

      Thanks,
      Shelley Clark
    • Milan Huba
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 18, 2002
        A good guess is that he was in a prisoner of war camp.. World War I.

        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 19, 2002
          --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@y..., "shelley20640" <shelley20640@y...> wrote:
          > Hello everyone,
          >
          > On friday I believe I found my ggrandfather listed in
          Vintondale,
          > Pa. His name was Charles Risko, his age (45 in 1920) and the
          > children's name match the information I have on him. I had always
          > been told he was Hungarian. On the census form he is listed as
          being
          > born in Austria and beside Austria was the word Slovak. I know
          that
          > he had been a coal miner in Hungary and lived in New York for
          > awhile. Then moved to PA, where he was a coal miner again. There
          is
          > also a story that he had been in a prison camp and escaped and came
          > to the United States. I'm not sure what was going on in Europe at
          > that time (why he would have been imprisoned). I have also in the
          > last few days tried to do some research on Slovacs, but everything
          > was so techincal that I still don't know who the Slovac are, or
          what
          > language they speak. I'm hoping some of you would be able to
          answer
          > some of my questions.
          >
          > Thanks,
          > Shelley Clark

          Don't know your surnames.
          Assume you don't know German, Slovak, Slovene, or Hungarian.

          Czech-Bohemia was Austria, Slovakia was Hungary.
          And both were Austria-Hungary.
          In the census records it might have been written as AH, A-H E,
          Austro-Hungary, Austria, Hungary, or some other designation ?

          Have read 1910/1920 U.S. Census columns listing birth place which
          had been written as Austria by the census taker and each entry on
          page had been later rubber stamped with a small SLOVAK.
          So much for country of origin.

          1920 U.S. Census

          Column 13 Year of Immigration
          Column 14 Naturalized or Alien
          Column 15 If Naturalized Year of Natural.

          Column 19 Person Place of birth (Country)
          Column 21 Father Place of birth (country)
          Column 23 Mother Place of birth (Country)

          What did Charles Risko speak ?

          How are you ? English

          Wie geht es Ihnen ? German

          Hogy Van ? Hungarian

          Ako sa más^ ? Slovak

          Jak se máte ? Czech

          Jak sie masz ? Polish

          Kako ste ? Croatian/Slovene

          Slavs
          http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/14042a.htm

          Vintondale borough (PA uses boroughs) is small (pop.500)
          It was located in Cambria CO PA.
          Near Nanty Glo which was a coal mining region.

          Cambria County PA Genealogy

          http://www.rootsweb.com/~pacambri/
        • shelley20640
          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 21, 2002
            Frankly 1 and Milan thanks so much for helping me. I was able to
            find out alot of information once I knew what the columns were. I
            went and looked up the names of all of the columns. I was able to
            find out that Charles immigrated here when he was 25 and that Annie
            came here when she was 5. That matches my family history. He was to
            have come here alone as a young man and met her in New York City.
            Also when I was little my grandmother told me how terrible New York
            was, how her mother when she was a very young child had to work in
            factories. All the children had to work that was the only way they
            could survive. In the census records I found that Charles could read
            and write but Annie could not, so even though she spent her childhood
            in the US she had never gone to school.

            I know that you said alot of the census records were rubber stamped
            Slovak. I was lucky they were all hand written. Also it listed both
            of them as being born in Austria and that their language was Slovak.
            I looked at other families in the area and they seem to have recorded
            accurately. I found some families listed as born in Austria but
            their language is Magyar.

            One thing that did throw me for a few minutes. Was that Charles was
            listed as a merchant when I thought he would have been a miner. But
            he might have been a miner for a while and then opened a store. He's
            listed as owning a grocery store. Then I remembered when I was little
            my g-uncle Steve Risko ran a grocery store which the Riskos had run
            for years. So that makes sense also.

            One clue that I have is he was writing letters to Hungary and
            Denmark. By the dates on the stamps it was 1937 or after. My
            grandmother saved the stamps and gave them to me, but they had cut
            them off the letters. I would have been great to have had the return
            address. Oh well.

            I can't seem to find any information on them in 1910. But if they
            might have still been in New York. If they lived in some tenement
            section of New York, I'm not sure how well the census takers covered
            those areas. Also I still can't figure out why he was in a prison
            camp. He came here in 1900, so it must have been something that was
            going on in the 1890's. I'll have to do more research on that.
            Sorry I have dragged on so long.

            Thank you again for your help,
            Shelley Clark
          • Richard D. Custer
            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 21, 2002
              Hi Shelley,

              Where did Charles Risko go to church? Where is he buried? There were
              several immigrant Risko men (e.g., John, Nicholas, Michael) in Vintondale;
              some of them are buried in the Saints Peter & Paul Russian Orthodox Church
              cemetery:
              http://members.tripod.com/warholic/st_p_&_p_vintondale.htm

              These people were Carpatho-Rusyns; not Slovaks, not Hungarians. They were
              from the village of Drahovo, Maramaros County, Hungary.

              I see a Vasyl' Risko (Vasyl'/Basil usually was Anglicized to Charles) who
              had a child baptized in this church in 1908, another in 1909. His wife is
              listed as Anna. Vasyl' was from Drahovo as well.

              Drahovo is now in Ukraine. However, they are in that part of Ukraine which
              *used to be* in Czechoslovakia, namely Zakarpattia / Subcarpathian Rus'.
              Drahovo, Maramaros County, Hungary, is now part of the Khustskyj Rajon
              [Khust District], Zakarpatska Oblast [Transcarpathian Region], Ukraine.

              Drahovo appears on this map segment:
              http://www.lemko.org/atlas/Pages/Pg59.html
              In the lower third of the map, look just east of the red blotch, the city of
              Khust (XYCT). It's along the road from Khust; the road goes east & north to
              Drahovo.

              Zakarpatska Oblast was part of Czechoslovakia (the eastern province, known
              as Podkarpatska Rus' or Subcarpathian Rus'/Ruthenia) from ~1920 until 1945
              when it was given to the Soviet Union.

              Rich Custer
              Carpatho-Rusyn Society
              www.carpathorusynsociety.org
              www.carpatho-rusyn.org

            • EMSCRS@aol.com
              Message 6 of 7 , Mar 22, 2002
                I am not Shelley - I think you have your addresses confused. Unfortunately,
                I have never heard of the families you need. I am looking for Csejka's. I
                wish you all the luck in the world in your search, I'm getting nowhere with
                mine. Elizabeth
              • shelley20640
                Message 7 of 7 , Apr 1 10:20 AM
                  Hello Richard,

                  Sorry to take so long to get back with you, but I was checking to
                  see that I had the right Charles Risko. Luckily I got ahold of a 2nd
                  cousin that had her mothers birth certificate. She was born in
                  Vintondale, Pa and her parents were Charles Risko and Anna Chabra
                  (maiden name) so it is the right Charles and Annie in the 1920
                  census. You said that Vasyl and Anna had 2 children baptized in 1908
                  and 1909. Their oldest children were Charlie born 1907 and Steve
                  born 1909. So it could be them. I'm sure they are the Riskos on the
                  1920 census, and all the children are listed as born in PA. On the
                  1920 census it said that Charles immigrated in 1900 and family
                  history says that he went to live with an Uncle, I'm not sure if it
                  was in Pa or not, but their does seem to be a few Riskos living
                  there. You seem to know alot about the history of Hungary, so I have
                  a question. Charles was in a prison camp and escaped and came to the
                  US. He was here in 1900, it must have been something that was going
                  on in the 1890's. Family members thought it was the breakup of
                  Austria/Hungary, but he was here and had children before that, also
                  the earliest Russian Revolution I can find is 1905. I only heard he
                  was in a prison camp, but other family members said they heard he was
                  a soldier, but I'm not sure what he was fighting for? Other cousins
                  said that the family were "white russians" and that that meant they
                  weren't communist. I don't know how true that is, but my
                  ggrandfather did tell my father that he hated communist, so I'm not
                  sure. I saw your other post about not being able to email me, my
                  email address is scobby@.... I don't know why yahoo list that
                  yahoo address for this group when it gives my real email for all the
                  rest of my groups. Sorry this has been so long.

                  Thanks,
                  Shelley Clark