Writing to Slovakia for Information

  • annavanek
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 15, 2002
      I'm using the FHL form for requesting information and have some
      questions which hopefully someone can help me with.

      Under scope of the search it asks if I want to have the data reported
      on genealogical forms or a complete transcription of the original
      records. Does anyone know the differences between the two?

      The other question is on the fees. Without knowing the hourly rate,
      I cannot determine how much information I would get for say $100, or
      increments from that. I will be requesting data for all direct-line
      ancestors as well as the siblings of the direct-line. Based on that,
      if I wanted information on at least 3 lines of ancestors, what would
      be a dollar amount to put in to obtain that information?

      Researching: Vanek, Ovecka: Radimo, Slovakia
      Also researching: Hlagky, Fajer
    • frankly1us
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 18, 2002
        --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@y..., "annavanek" <annavanek@n...> wrote:
        > I'm using the FHL form for requesting information and have some
        > questions which hopefully someone can help me with.
        >
        > Under scope of the search it asks if I want to have the data
        reported
        > on genealogical forms or a complete transcription of the original
        > records. Does anyone know the differences between the two?
        >
        > The other question is on the fees. Without knowing the hourly rate,
        > I cannot determine how much information I would get for say $100,
        or
        > increments from that. I will be requesting data for all
        direct-line
        > ancestors as well as the siblings of the direct-line. Based on
        that,
        > if I wanted information on at least 3 lines of ancestors, what
        would
        > be a dollar amount to put in to obtain that information?
        >
        > Thanks in advance for any help you can give.
        >
        > Researching: Vanek, Ovecka: Radimo, Slovakia
        > Also researching: Hlagky, Fajer

        You had better specify a dollar limit for possible research charges
        for what you are seeking ?
        Can always go back and restate for possible additional charges.
        Don't know what exact fees might be ?
        Doubt the archives know at this point either ?
        Their hourly rate will vary by which individual does the actual
        research ?

        http://www.iarelative.com/embassy.htm

        You can write the Main Archives (Archív hlavného mesta
        Bratislavy) to research your surname records.
        Their narrative research report will be written in Slovak, not
        English (which is not a complete transcription of the original
        records)
        If you don't know Slovak you would need to get their research report
        translated.

        There are three different rates.
        Clerical, the cheapest, the basic research, and the most difficult,
        the more expensive.
        They will do research you request then send you a bill which you must
        pay before they mail you the information.

        Slovak State Archives URLs

        http://www.netway.at/ihff/c.htm

        http://www.slovak.com/genealogy/adresy_na_slovensku.html