Re: Monchak, Zoldos, or Zoldas

  • Joyce Bracken
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 6, 1999
      There are Monjaks in Wheeling, WV. Could that be a variant of Monchak?

      Joyce

    • sabinov@xxxxx.xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx)
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 7, 1999
        Hello Joyce,

        What you need to do first is start with yourself or your parents and
        work backwards. Many hints on locations, parents names etc can be found
        in death certificates, obituaries, naturalizaiton records etc.

        You have a good start knowing they came in the 1920's -1930's, but you
        give no location of where they settled so a guess is not possible at a
        port. The most common port of arrival was NY, as it was the busiest, but
        it was not always the port of arrival.

        I would suggest if you have not done so already that you find death
        certificates on these people, and also naturalization papers, as after
        1906 in the US port and date of arrival are given on those.

        Read through and follow the directions on Obtaining Naturalization
        papers on my Helpful Hints page, url below. That would be a big help in
        your searching. You should have some information to start working
        backwards from there.

        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        Maura Petzolt Mobile Alabama USA
        sabinov@...
        Helpful Hints for Successful Searching
      • Rosamken@xxx.xxx
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 7, 1999
          Dear Joyce:

          I found two Mary Zoldos on the Social Security Death Index...Do you know how
          to check there? If not, please contact me and I will direct you.

          Rosemary - Las Vegas

          Rosamken@...