RE: Fetchick

  • Appalacia@aol.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 13 10:55 PM
      Hi, my name is Stacy. I am doing genealogical research on the surname
      Fetchick (Americanized). I believe the closest Eastern European version of
      the name is Fecik, although I am not sure. I have the social security
      application for Michal (Matey) Fetchick, which says he was born on November
      11, 1889 in what looks like "Czetto Slovak". It is hard to read the first
      word. The first word may also be Czeatto, Czatto Czealto, or another
      variation. I have been trying to find out what that word is so I can
      further my research. His wife's social security application says Anna
      Stephene
      (maiden name) was born September 9, 1893 in Czechoslovakia. I would assume
      they lived near each other before immigrating to the United States. The
      social security applications both say that they were living in Rockaway,
      Morris County, New Jersey. Do you have any resources or information that may
      help me in my research (both pertaining to the name Fetchick and Michal
      Fetchick's birth place)? Any information would be greatly appreciated.
      Thank you for your time. Stacy Hessian

    • Dr. Joe Quashnock
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 13 11:41 PM
        The name is probably spelled Fečík (Fec^i'k), pronounced Fay-cheek. The name of
        the town is more difficult to figure out. The letters "cz" usually occur in a
        Hungarian spelling, the Slovak or Czech equivalent is just the letter "c" that
        sounds like the "ts" in bets, e.g. the name Brabec is "braw-bets". If the
        letters are "cs" then the Slovak equivalent is "c^" (č) pronounced like the "ch"
        in church. In either case, I cannot find a similar old Hungarian name or present
        day name in the Czech Republic (Česká republika) or Slovakia.

        The combination of "cz" also is found in Poland, but I cannot it there either.

        Since the application states Czechoslovakia, it was referring to the country that
        existed from about 1920-1990. There are some technical details that will
        demonstrate that Slovakia did exists a couple of times during that period, but it
        is really only a technical historical footnote because it for only a very short
        time at each instance. In 1889 and 1893, the area was the Austria-Hungary Empire
        - the "dual monarchy" (so there were oxymorons even then see -
        http://www.oxymorons.com/oxymorons.html ). Regardless, the area in question was
        not Czechoslovakia before 1920, but the term Czechoslovakia applies to a specific
        area of Europe. The question you have to answer is: was it eastern (Slovakia) or
        western (Czech) Czechoslovakia?

        Do you have any other information about "where" he or his wife came from such as
        any other town names?

        Appalacia@... wrote:

        > Hi, my name is Stacy. I am doing genealogical research on the surname
        > Fetchick (Americanized). I believe the closest Eastern European version of
        > the name is Fecik, although I am not sure. I have the social security
        > application for Michal (Matey) Fetchick, which says he was born on November
        > 11, 1889 in what looks like "Czetto Slovak". It is hard to read the first
        > word. The first word may also be Czeatto, Czatto Czealto, or another
        > variation. I have been trying to find out what that word is so I can
        > further my research. His wife's social security application says Anna
        > Stephene
        > (maiden name) was born September 9, 1893 in Czechoslovakia. I would assume
        > they lived near each other before immigrating to the United States. The
        > social security applications both say that they were living in Rockaway,
        > Morris County, New Jersey. Do you have any resources or information that may
        > help me in my research (both pertaining to the name Fetchick and Michal
        > Fetchick's birth place)? Any information would be greatly appreciated.
        > Thank you for your time. Stacy Hessian
      • John M.
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 14 12:25 AM
          At 01:55 AM 3/14/02 -0500, you wrote:
          >Hi, my name is Stacy. I am doing genealogical research on the surname
          >Fetchick (Americanized). I believe the closest Eastern European version of
          >the name is Fecik, although I am not sure. I have the social security
          >application for Michal (Matey) Fetchick, which says he was born on November
          >11, 1889 in what looks like "Czetto Slovak". It is hard to read the first
          >word. The first word may also be Czeatto, Czatto Czealto, or another
          >variation. I have been trying to find out what that word is so I can
          >further my research.

          Czechoslovakia did not come into being until just after WWI. Prior to that
          Slovakia was a part of Upper Hungary. When he filled out his Social
          Security application he probably wrote his version of Czechoslovakia which
          probably was Czetto Slovak or something similar.

          > His wife's social security application says Anna Stephene (maiden name)
          > was born September 9, 1893 in Czechoslovakia. I would assume they lived
          > near each other before immigrating to the United States. The social
          > security applications both say that they were living in Rockaway, Morris
          > County, New Jersey. Do you have any resources or information that may
          > help me in my research (both pertaining to the name Fetchick and Michal
          > Fetchick's birth place)? Any information would be greatly
          > appreciated. Thank you for your time. Stacy Hessian

          Again, Czechoslovakia did not exist in 1893 but did when they were filling
          SS applications. I believe SS came into being in 1935. Were you able to
          get any information on their villages from church records, Declaration of
          Intent, citizenship papers, marriage records, death certificates, etc? The
          LDS have microfilmed nearly all the church records of Slovakia and they are
          available at their Family History Centers. You will need to know their
          villages though.

          Using the online SK phone directory, I found 11 Fec^ik and Fec^ikova
          (feminine version) in Bratislava, 5 in Kos^ice, 2 in Pres^ov. These are a
          few of the larger cities in Slovakia.

          John
        • Tim Skvarenina
          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 14 8:45 AM
            --- Appalacia@... wrote:

            > His wife's social security
            > application says Anna Stephene
            > (maiden name) was born September 9, 1893 in
            > Czechoslovakia. I would assume
            > they lived near each other before immigrating to the
            > United States.

            They may or may not have lived near each other.
            Unless you know they came over together, it could be a
            bad assumption. My grandparents met in Chicago after
            immigrating separately. He was from Bosany, she from
            Chminany, which would be about 100 miles I believe.

            Tim

            http://sports.yahoo.com/