Monchak, Zoldos, or Zoldas

  • ginger2@nauticom.net
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 6, 1999
      I am searching for my grandparents families, I know that they came to the USA about 1920 or 1930. I do remember my grandparents but never knew anything about their families, my grandmother was Mary Zoldos,and her parents came over too from the Czech Republic. My grandfather and some of his brothers came over but not all of them, they all were from Praque. I don't know where to begin, can someone help? Thank you, My name is Joyce,and I have never posted here before.
    • Joyce Bracken
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 6, 1999
        There are Monjaks in Wheeling, WV. Could that be a variant of Monchak?

        Joyce

      • sabinov@xxxxx.xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx)
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 7, 1999
          Hello Joyce,

          What you need to do first is start with yourself or your parents and
          work backwards. Many hints on locations, parents names etc can be found
          in death certificates, obituaries, naturalizaiton records etc.

          You have a good start knowing they came in the 1920's -1930's, but you
          give no location of where they settled so a guess is not possible at a
          port. The most common port of arrival was NY, as it was the busiest, but
          it was not always the port of arrival.

          I would suggest if you have not done so already that you find death
          certificates on these people, and also naturalization papers, as after
          1906 in the US port and date of arrival are given on those.

          Read through and follow the directions on Obtaining Naturalization
          papers on my Helpful Hints page, url below. That would be a big help in
          your searching. You should have some information to start working
          backwards from there.

          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          Maura Petzolt Mobile Alabama USA
          sabinov@...
          Helpful Hints for Successful Searching
        • Rosamken@xxx.xxx
          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 7, 1999
            Dear Joyce:

            I found two Mary Zoldos on the Social Security Death Index...Do you know how
            to check there? If not, please contact me and I will direct you.

            Rosemary - Las Vegas

            Rosamken@...