George Girman

  • sgirman2002
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 2, 2002
      I am a new member. My great grandfather,George Girman, immigrated to
      America in 1886 from Gerchel, Zemplen County, Austria Hungary.He
      first settled in the Pittsburg area to work in the coal mines and
      then moved to Whiting, Indiana about 1900. He had 15 children in the
      USA and 10 reached adulthood. Does anyone know where Gerchel is
      located? It might be under a different name. Also, does anyone have
      information on the town. My dad told me that my great grandfather
      said that it was a one-day travel to 5 countries. My dad also told me
      that he was quite a story teller.

      Thankyou Scott Girman
    • John M.
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 2, 2002
        At 09:42 PM 3/2/02 +0000, you wrote:
        >information on the town. My dad told me that my great grandfather
        >said that it was a one-day travel to 5 countries. My dad also told me
        >that he was quite a story teller.
        >
        > Thank you Scott Girman

        Joe answered your primary question but I thought I'd mention that if he
        just stayed at home, several of the countries would have come to him. I
        had a cousin who was born near Bardejov in 1914 and died there in 2000. He
        was born in Upper Hungary, it became Czechoslovakia after WWI, Slovakia
        after 1939, under German control during the latter part of WWII,
        Czechoslovakia after WWII, Under Russian control a bit later and then in
        1993 it became the Slovak Republic.

        You might do a Google search on Hrc^el to see if there is anything of
        interest to you. For some reason I had to use the spelling Hrce instead of
        Hrcel to get Mapquest and Expedia to locate the village, which is south of
        Trebisov.

        John