KUCHER

  • kalicokat14
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 1, 2002
      Is the name Kucher an unfamiliar one from the Ukraine?

      My Great Grandparents, Anthony (Anton, Antoni) Kucher (could also
      have been spelled Kuczer or Kuczar) with his wife Carolyn (could have
      been spelled Karola - nee Dowhan) emigrated to Canada about 1900 from
      Austria (or was it a part of the Ukraine then) I am told from a
      village called Shuparka in the province of Borschiw.

      I am having trouble getting the exact spelling of their last name, or
      tracing any information about their emigration. I'd like to know the
      date they emigrated, exactly where they came from, or if another
      Dowhan came with them as well. I know that they had at least 4 young
      children with them when they emigrated. I have been reaching dead
      ends wherever I look. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    • frankly1us
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 2, 2002
        --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@y..., "kalicokat14" <sparks@m...> wrote:
        > Is the name Kucher an unfamiliar one from the Ukraine?
        >
        > My Great Grandparents, Anthony (Anton, Antoni) Kucher (could also
        > have been spelled Kuczer or Kuczar) with his wife Carolyn (could
        have
        > been spelled Karola - nee Dowhan) emigrated to Canada about 1900
        from
        > Austria (or was it a part of the Ukraine then) I am told from a
        > village called Shuparka in the province of Borschiw.
        >
        > I am having trouble getting the exact spelling of their last name,
        or
        > tracing any information about their emigration. I'd like to know
        the
        > date they emigrated, exactly where they came from, or if another
        > Dowhan came with them as well. I know that they had at least 4
        young
        > children with them when they emigrated. I have been reaching dead
        > ends wherever I look. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

        I posted reply to your 2 March 2002 message on 15 February 2002 at
        Slovak-Roots.
        Perhaps you didn't read it, or didn't care for what I had written.
        This is a repost.

        Shuparka, district Borshchiv/Borschiw/Borshchiv/Bors^c^iv/
        Borscov/Borshchev et al is located 235 miles WSW of Kiev, Ukraine
        and 8 miles from town of Borschiv as above.
        This is close to the current Romanian and Moldovian borders with
        the Ukraine.

        Try alpha letter S on map of the oblast' below for
        exact location of Shuparka/Shchuparka.

        http://www.rootsweb.com/~ukrwgw/cherni/chernicity.htm

        There are a number of problems associated with researching
        surnames in the Ukraine.

        When transliterating from Cyrillic alphabet to western (Latin)
        alphabet,5-6 different place name spellings are possible because
        there is no standard - all spellings are correct.
        It depends into which European language the name was transliterated
        last ?

        How are you ?

        K A K D E J| A' ? Russian (Cyrillic)
        (k ah k d ye l a )

        R K C || P A B |/| ? Ukrainian (Cyrillic)
        (yah k s p r รก v ee )

        Ukrainian has a H sound/letter, but no hard G.

        Russian has no H sound/letter, but a hard G.

        Besides the surnames village/town of origin you need birth dates of
        your surnames to research the birth dates of their parents.
        So, surname Kuczer was K y U| e p or something similar in Cyrillic ?

        Kuchar means a 'cook' in Slovak.
        Kurcharz means a 'cook' in Polish.
        I would expect Kucher was the German spelling of surname.
        Kuczer/Kuczar would have been the Hungarian spelling of surname.

        Anthony (E) Antal (H) Anton (G) Anton (Sk) Antoni (P)

        In 1945, Czechoslovakia was restored back to its pre-Munich borders,
        less Subcarpathian Rus' which the Soviet Union kept.
        (The Allies stripped Hungary of all its post-Munich acquisitions and
        returned the country to its Trianon (1920) boundaries)
        The Karpatho-Ukraine was annexed in June 1945 by the Soviet Union.
        Since 1991, it is part of the independent Republic Ukraine.

        If you write the Ukrainian Archives in Cyrillic Ukrainian, they may
        reply to a request for surname records in a year or so, or never !
        Or, your letter may be stolen in route.
        The above was true in good times.
        The last five years have not been good in the Ukraine.
        Today, Ukrainians don't like western foreigners.
        It is impossible for them to get a license to research in Ukraine.

        Sometimes emigrants to Canada trans-shipped through the U.S. ports
        of entry.

        To find exact date surnames emigrated to Canada you will need to try :

        Canadian Genealogical Pages and Immigration Records.

        http://www-personal.umich.edu/%7Ecgaunt/canada.html#CANADIAN