Re: [S-R] Falatko, Kotsybar, Rakotsy

  • John
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 27, 2002
      At 09:50 PM 2/27/02 +0000, you wrote:
      >Looking for information on the following surnames: FALATKO and
      >KOTSYBAR(I am told this was RAKOTSY before coming to the U.S. I
      >could really use some help with this as I've had little luck tracing
      >this family line. It's very important to me. Any information would
      >be greatly appreciated!
      >surrellsm@...

      Do you have any idea of what villages these names came from. Have you
      checked Social Security, church records, etc. There are 10 Falatko listed
      as entering through Ellis Island. Most were from a village called Csorgo,
      which is now known as C^erhov (pronounced Cherhov). It is located in
      southeast Slovakia on the border of Hungary and about 10 miles south of
      Trebisov.

      There is a Michal Falatko in the SK online phone directory in the town of
      C^erhov, and others in Kosice which is not far away. There appear to be a
      few variations of the name beginning with Falat, Falatko, Falatovic, etc. I
      don't know what the root word Falat means. There are others on the list
      that may be able to give you more information on the history of that area
      and the KOTSYBAR name. The name Rakotsy may also be spelled Rakocsi. I've
      seen a few in the directory under Kosice.

      John