Re: [S-R] Surname help

  • Fran M Roen
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 22, 2002
      My grandfather's half brother was born in Limberg, Austria. He was
      under the rule of Francis Joseph, Emperor of Austria and Apostolic King
      of Hungary. Does anyone know where this is?

      Take Care
      Fran

      On Fri, 22 Feb 2002 14:25:49 EST Hrtswhspr@... writes:
      > could you tell us whether the RINDOS name is ethnically slovak or
      > some
      > minority group because the only town where this name was known was
      > plavnica
      > and in conversations with slovaks they are unfamiliar with the name
      > and say
      > that they do not think that it is a slovak surname.

    • frankly1us
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 23, 2002
        --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@y..., Fran M Roen <artbyfran@j...> wrote:
        > My grandfather's half brother was born in Limberg, Austria. He was
        > under the rule of Francis Joseph, Emperor of Austria and Apostolic King
        > of Hungary. Does anyone know where this is?
        >
        > Take Care
        > Fran

        Half of which surname was GF's half brother's surname ?

        When Cyrillic alphabet is transliterated into Roman (Latin)
        alphabet, 5-6 different place name spellings are possible - all
        correct because there is no standard.
        Depends into which European language the place name was
        transliterated to last.

        For example :

        LEMBERG (G) once the former Austrian capital of former Galizien
        and now located 468 km. west of Kiev in the Ukraine.

        Leopolis (L)
        Lvov (E) Lwów (P)
        Lvóv, Lvyv
        J| b B i B (Uk)
        J| b B O B (Ru)

        Austria's presence in Galicia began in 1769, when Hapsburg troops
        occupied the 16 Polish-held towns and villages in the Spis^ region
        on the southern slopes of the Carpathians.
        As a result of the partition of Poland by Russsia, Prusssia and
        Austria in 1772, Austria was awarded 31,600 sqaure miles with 2.6 million =
        inhabitants in Rus' (Galicia) and parts of Volhynia.
        The new Austrian acquisition was named The Kingdom of Galicia-Lodomeria, r=
        ecalling the title in the Hungarian crown ,
        whose origins went back to 12th century claim of Hungary's kings to mediev=
        al Rus' principalities of Galicia and Volhynia (Lodomeria).

        From the 1790s until the end of WW I, Poland did not exist as a
        country. It was divided among the Russian, German (Prussian), and
        Austrian Empires.
        These divisions were known as Partitions.
        There was Russian-Poland,German-Poland, and Austrian-Poland.

        Austrian-Poland

        By the First Partition (1792) of Poland, Austria had obtained
        Galicia (consisting of Red Russia, the city of Lemberg [Lwów],
        a part of western Podolia, and southern Little Poland).
        Austria did not take any Polish land in the Second Partition.
        During the Third Partition (1795) of Poland, Austria took the
        remainder of Little Poland and Kraków.

        The southern Polish territories around Kraków and Lwów were
        incorporated into the Austrian Empire and renamed "Galicia".

        Galicia was formerly a Austrian Crownland and part of
        Austro-Hungarian Monarchy(1867-1918).
        Sometimes referred to as Austrian Poland.
        Other names for the area were Galicja (Polish), Galizien (German),
        Halychyna (Ukrainian) and Rus Halicka (Polish).

        In 1918, Galicia was annexed to Poland as "Malopolska" (Little
        Poland)
        After the 1939 partition of Poland by Germany and Russia, East
        Galicia became part of Ukraine while West Galicia remained in Poland.
        Its former territories are now shared between southern Poland and
        western Ukraine.