Surname help

  • Hrtswhspr@aol.com
    Message 1 of 12 , Feb 22, 2002
      could you tell us whether the RINDOS name is ethnically slovak or some
      minority group because the only town where this name was known was plavnica
      and in conversations with slovaks they are unfamiliar with the name and say
      that they do not think that it is a slovak surname.

    • John
      Message 2 of 12 , Feb 22, 2002
        At 02:25 PM 2/22/02 -0500, you wrote:
        >RINDOS

        SK phone directory: http://www.zoznamst.sk/sk/index.html

        I found 9 listings for Rindos^ (pronounced Rindosh) and Rindos^ova
        (feminine form) in Plavnica, 2 in Stara Lubovna, 1 in Orlov, 8 in
        Kosice, and 4 in Poprod.

        Do you know if they were Greek or Roman Catholic. Most of the villages and
        towns are in Eastern Slovakia so it might be a Rusyn name. Rusyns are
        normally Greek Catholic or Russian Orthodox.

        John
      • frankly1us
        Message 3 of 12 , Feb 23, 2002
          --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@y..., Hrtswhspr@a... wrote:
          > could you tell us whether the RINDOS name is ethnically slovak or some
          > minority group because the only town where this name was known was plavni=
          ca
          > and in conversations with slovaks they are unfamiliar with the name and s=
          ay
          > that they do not think that it is a slovak surname.

          Note Plavnica (Sk) Palonca (H) and Stará L'ubovn^a (Sk) O'lubló (H)
          reference to Slovakia below :

          Interesting region.
          Germans, Slovaks, Rusyns, Croatians, Hungarians, and Poles.
          Don't know which group settled here first in 12th, 14th, and 16th
          centuries.

          Not all people in East Central Europe who later spoke German
          owed their heritage to German settlers. Many were descendants of
          Germanized Slavs and in some cases Magyars whose ancestors had
          intermarried with neighbors of Germanic origin.

          Among the earliest German colonies were those begun in the late
          12th c in Transylvania and in the mountainous area of Spis^/Zips/
          Szepes county in northern Hungary near the towns of Levoc^a (Sv)/
          Leutschau (G) and Kez^marok (Sv)/Késmárk (H)/Käsmarkt(G)
          The Spis^ enclave was expanded through special privileges granted in
          1224 and 1271.
          It was at this time that the "Saxons" (actually not from Saxony but
          from the Rhineland) came in large numbers.

          It was during the 13th c that organized efforts were undertaken to
          settle Carpathian Rus' with East Slavic farmers and shepherds from
          neighboring Galicija (Poland)
          Early in 15th c the 16 towns in the northen Spis^ region of central
          Slovakia (including Stará L'ubovn^a and L'ubica)- near to but not
          including the royal Saxon towns of Käsmark and Leutschau - were sold to Pol=
          and, under whose rule they remained 1412-1772.

          Maly' Sulín (Slovak) Szulin (H) was established in 1600.
          It was part of the property of his lordship Plavec^ * and his own Croatian =
          nobility, who had established the neighboring village of Vel'ké Sulín (S) at=
          the end of the 16th century.

          Towns of Plavnica and Plavec^ were also part of the property of
          the Croatian nobility.
          * Plavnica, Plavec^ and nearby Plavec^ castle (Plavec^sky' hrad)

          (Rindos^ would not be a Croatian surname either)
          Of the 40 surnames Rindos, who emigrated to U.S. 1892-1924, nearly every em=
          igrant was from Plavnica (2 from Stará L'ubovn^a) and 37 bore Hungarian or S=
          lovak first names.
          Any names or dates ?
        • jwm469@wireweb.net
          Message 4 of 12 , Aug 8 4:40 PM
            I am asking for help in deciding wher to try to look next. My great-grandmother Maria Bratko married my great-
            grandfather Andrew Molchany (Molcsany/Molcanyi) around 1891shortly before he left for America. Their first son
            Andrew was born in Dec 1892 in Jurske, Slovakia. (I have the Molcanyi family traced back to about 1800 in Jurske.)

            I have been trying for 10+ years to find the village that my great-grandmother may have been from. There is no
            information in the Ellis Island records on-line. In fact the link is wrong and it took me weeks to find the correct record
            (which I have misplaced/mis-filed). I have been told that there were Bratko's in Bratislava. But I think that is too large a
            city to try to find her.

            Does anyone have any ideas where I might look? My gut tells me that she might have been from a village to the east.
            There are more Molcanyis to the east of Jurske. A Nicholas Molchany, a Greek Catholic priest was from 'Bajer Vagas,
            Saros". I think the Molchanys migrated west from that area, maybe even Svidnik and surrounds. I was once told the
            names that end in 'ko' are most likely Rusyn. That makes me want to look east. Another cousin said that his relatives
            said the Molcanyi name is Rusyn. My paternal grandmother said that the family was part Russian - but prbably meant
            Rusyn.

            I'm at a loss and any help would be appreciated.

            Thanks,

            Jerry
            Message 5 of 12 , Aug 8 7:23 PM
              Have you considered looking at the other BRATKO manifest entries to see from
              where these folk came?

              Have you used the online phonebook, with an areacode of zero?
              http://www.zoznamst.sk/eng/plsql/ccat_002en$.startup
              Have you looked up both surnames here and try to correlate to a village in
              which both surnames may be present?

              If you are looking for Maria Molcsany June 17, 1895 manifest,
              Go here http://www.jewishgen.org/databases/EIDB/mm.htm?back=index.htm
              Enter Series M237, Roll 643, Frame 290. You will find her on that page.
              Traveled with 2 year old child ANDRO.

              Have you used 1-step
              http://www.jewishgen.org/databases/EIDB/ellisshort.html

              Bajer Vagas is present-day BAJEROVCE, but priests get assigned to many
              distant villages.

              ______________
              Bill Tarkulich

[...]

              Yahoo! Groups Links
            • John M,
              Message 6 of 12 , Aug 8 9:45 PM
                >At 06:40 PM 8/8/2004 -0500, you wrote:
                >
                >Does anyone have any ideas where I might look? My gut tells me that she
                >might have been from a village to the east. There are more Molcanyis to
                >the east of Jurske. A Nicholas Molchany, a Greek Catholic priest was from
                >'Bajer Vagas,

                I found 57 Bratko listings in the SK online phone directory. From just a
                cursory scan of the listings, there appear to be Bratkos in many areas of
                Slovakia including Eastern Slovakia. Go
                to http://www.zoznamst.sk/eng/index.html and place a "0" (without the
                quotes) in the area telephone code window. Search for Bratko and check to
                see if any are located in the villages near Jurske. Instead of using the
                "0", you might try placing at least the first three letters of the nearby
                villages in the town window to see if you can find a Bratko nearby. I
                tried Jurske and a couple of towns nearby but did not find any.

                John M.
              • Bohdana Badzio
                Message 7 of 12 , Aug 9 9:17 AM
                  Hello Jerry,

                  have you located the marriage record for Maria Bratko and Andrew
                  Molchany, for example on an FHL microfilm? It should have information
                  on the bride's home village, among other. If the Molchanys had lived
                  in Jurske since 1800 and Maria and Andrew's son was born there, I'd
                  say Jurske would be the first place to look for a marriage record.
                  For Jurske, FHL has Roman Catholic church books for years 1768-1897
                  and Evangelical ones for 1808 - 1906 <www.familysearch.org>.

                  By the way, familysearch.org lists an International Genealogical
                  Index (IGI) entry for MARY BRATKO, born 14 AUG 1883 in Zaborow
                  Brzesko, Galizien Kroenlande, Austria, died 14 MAY 1954. Parents were
                  ANDREW BRATKO and SOPHIE ANTOSZ:

                  http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Search/frameset_search.asp

                  A Zaborow, in the vicinity of Brzesko, may be the one found now
                  about 16mi North-West of Tarnow in Poland, some 45mi North of Jurske,
                  and across the current Poland-Slovakia border. In 1991, there were
                  170 BRATKOs still living in the region of Tarnow, the gratest
                  concentration of BRATKOs in Poland (www.herby.pl/herby/).

                  This Mary would be, of course, too young to be your ggm, if the dates
                  in this IGI entry are correct. On the whole, this is just a side
                  note, as the accuracy of the IGI entries should not be taken for
                  granted.

                  Regards,

                  Bohdana Badzio

                  --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, jwm469@w... wrote:
                  > I am asking for help in deciding wher to try to look next. My
                  great-grandmother Maria Bratko married my great-
                  > grandfather Andrew Molchany (Molcsany/Molcanyi) around 1891shortly
                  before he left for America. Their first son
                  > Andrew was born in Dec 1892 in Jurske, Slovakia. (I have the
                  Molcanyi family traced back to about 1800 in Jurske.)

                  > I have been trying for 10+ years to find the village that my great-
                  grandmother may have been from. There is no
                  > information in the Ellis Island records on-line. In fact the link
                  is wrong and it took me weeks to find the correct record
                  > (which I have misplaced/mis-filed). I have been told that there
                  were Bratko's in Bratislava. But I think that is too large a
                  > city to try to find her.
                  >
                  > Does anyone have any ideas where I might look? My gut tells me
                  that she might have been from a village to the east.
                  > There are more Molcanyis to the east of Jurske. A Nicholas
                  Molchany, a Greek Catholic priest was from 'Bajer Vagas,
                  > Saros". I think the Molchanys migrated west from that area, maybe
                  even Svidnik and surrounds. I was once told the
                  > names that end in 'ko' are most likely Rusyn. That makes me want
                  to look east. Another cousin said that his relatives
                  > said the Molcanyi name is Rusyn. My paternal grandmother said that
                  the family was part Russian - but prbably meant
                  > Rusyn.
                  >
                  > I'm at a loss and any help would be appreciated.
                  >
                  > Thanks,
                  >
                  > Jerry
                • Bohdana Badzio
                  Message 8 of 12 , Aug 9 4:29 PM
                    By the way, from the Ukrainian speaker's point of view, BRATKO is a
                    diminutive of "brat", which is "brother". The word also exists ib
                    Polish, Czech (bratr) and probably Slovak (don't have a dictionary
                    handy to check).

                    Perhaps you already knew that...

                    Regards,

                    Bohdana

                    --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, jwm469@w... wrote:
                    > I am asking for help in deciding wher to try to look next. My
                    great-grandmother Maria Bratko married my great-
                    > grandfather Andrew Molchany (Molcsany/Molcanyi) around 1891shortly
                    before he left for America. Their first son
                    > Andrew was born in Dec 1892 in Jurske, Slovakia. (I have the
                    Molcanyi family traced back to about 1800 in Jurske.)

                    > I have been trying for 10+ years to find the village that my great-
                    grandmother may have been from. There is no
                    > information in the Ellis Island records on-line. In fact the link
                    is wrong and it took me weeks to find the correct record
                    > (which I have misplaced/mis-filed). I have been told that there
                    were Bratko's in Bratislava. But I think that is too large a
                    > city to try to find her.
                    >
                    > Does anyone have any ideas where I might look? My gut tells me
                    that she might have been from a village to the east.
                    > There are more Molcanyis to the east of Jurske. A Nicholas
                    Molchany, a Greek Catholic priest was from 'Bajer Vagas,
                    > Saros". I think the Molchanys migrated west from that area, maybe
                    even Svidnik and surrounds. I was once told the
                    > names that end in 'ko' are most likely Rusyn. That makes me want
                    to look east. Another cousin said that his relatives
                    > said the Molcanyi name is Rusyn. My paternal grandmother said that
                    the family was part Russian - but prbably meant
                    > Rusyn.
                    >
                    > I'm at a loss and any help would be appreciated.
                    >
                    > Thanks,
                    >
                    > Jerry
                  • Joe Mrnka
                    Message 9 of 12 , Aug 10 10:11 AM
                      Bohdana,

                      The diminutive of Bratr in Czech is Bratr^i'k (i'm pretty
                      sure) and Bratri'k or Bratri'c^ek in Slovak, but I think I
                      have heard the term Bratko as well, and that would have
                      been from the old timers.

                      Joe

                      http://messenger.yahoo.com
                    • Bohdana Badzio
                      Message 10 of 12 , Aug 10 10:23 AM
                        Hello Joe,

                        thank you for the information.

                        I should've said that in Ukrainian "bratko" is one of many diminutive
                        form, and not necessarily the most common in everyday speech. It was
                        interesting to learn what such forms are in Czech and Slovak. Thank
                        you.

                        Bohdana

                        --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, Joe Mrnka <jmrnka@y...> wrote:
                        > Bohdana,
                        >
                        > The diminutive of Bratr in Czech is Bratr^i'k (i'm pretty
                        > sure) and Bratri'k or Bratri'c^ek in Slovak, but I think I
                        > have heard the term Bratko as well, and that would have
                        > been from the old timers.
                        >
                        > Joe
                      • Paul Sabol
                        Message 11 of 12 , Jun 4, 2009
                          I need some assistance with surnames in Slovakia. I'm almost 100% certain my g-g-grandmother was Maria Fecso who married Andrej Sabol back in the old country (Sosujfalu). Her father was Mathias Fecso according to the local parish register.

                          Two of their sons, John and Andrew (Americanized spelling) immigrated to America in 1885. Fast forward to 1914 and Andrew dies in Yonkers, NY. On the death certificate it lists his mother's maiden name as Maria Mathias.

                          Did the Slovak culture do anything weird with female surnames where Maria might have been born a Fecso but carried her father's name as her maiden name?

                          If I didn't explain it well let me know and I'll try again.
                        • Michael Mojher
                          Message 12 of 12 , Jun 4, 2009
                            Paul,
                            The use of an "alias" name occurs in Slovak records.
                            Mathias is Latin for Matthew. Female names always end with "ova" in Slovakia. To have it become Mathias in America seems to indicated the change was made here. Mathias happens to be the given name of her father, as you saw. How alias names were chosen I have not discovered.
                            What is an Alias?
                            Alias or aka or nickname appears sometimes with individuals, mostly male, in church records and other documents. The main reason for someone to have an alias appears to be the need of community to tell apart several families with the same surname. Alias was always given to a person or family by the community there were living in. However, there are also instances, where someone was alone with his surname, but still had an alias. He probably brought it from another place when he married into a new community or was it given to him for some other reasons. Very often it is not possible to explain the meaning of an alias.
                            In my recent research I came across a Roman Catholic parish of Kysucke Nove Mesto, where there were very many aliases used. I found this so interesting that I transcribed some of them. From the research point of view this parish is also interesting because it is very hard to figure out, when one name is an alias and the other is a regular surname and vice versa. Several aliases namely gradually changed into regular surnames. Names and aliases are written as found in the Church records from 1880 till 1895.
                            There is a thread at Ancestry.com on Slovak alias names. If you care to read that discussion go to - http://boards.ancestry.com/localities.ceeurope.slovakia.general/1749.1/mb.ashx