Re: Village Name

  • frankly1us
    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 20, 2002
      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@y..., John <jmatsko4@c...> wrote:
      > I have located the ship's manifest pages for Janos Butas^ and his wife
      > Katalin who immigrated about 3 years later. Janos is shown arriving with 5
      > other men from the village of LILITY. All are listed as Slovaks. His wife
      > and two children are listed as Slovaks coming from LILIAWAS or
      > LILIAMAS. In both cases the village is written legibly. I have had no luck
      > using "ShtetlSeeker" or "Nazvy Obci" in finding the village. The closest
      > I've been able to come to the spelling is Leled , which is now Lel'a.
      >
      > On the US marriage application of their son Steven, his birthplace is
      > listed as BACH BODROG. I have had no success with this one
      > either. Although on both manifests they are listed as Slovak, is it
      > possible that their village is currently in Hungary? I did find Butas^ in
      > the Bratislava and Nitra phone directory. Thanks.
      >
      > John

      No. John.

      You want Liliomos formerly located in old Hungarian Bac-Bodrog megye
      (county) Hodsag jaras (district) and now located in former Yugoslavia.
      I guess place is now located in Serbia.
      There were Rusyns and Slovaks resident in former Yugoslavia.
      The Hapsburg rulers invited them and other ethnicities to settle
      there to keep the Magyars out.
    • John
      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 20, 2002
        At 12:24 AM 2/21/02 +0000, you wrote:

        >You want Liliomos formerly located in old Hungarian Bac-Bodrog megye
        >(county) Hodsag jaras (district) and now located in former Yugoslavia.
        >I guess place is now located in Serbia.
        >There were Rusyns and Slovaks resident in former Yugoslavia.
        >The Hapsburg rulers invited them and other ethnicities to settle
        >there to keep the Magyars out.

        Many thanks Frank. I would have never found that one.

        John
      • frankly1us
        Message 3 of 10 , Feb 21, 2002
          --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@y..., John <jmatsko4@c...> wrote:
          > At 12:24 AM 2/21/02 +0000, you wrote:
          >
          > >You want Liliomos formerly located in old Hungarian Bac-Bodrog megye
          > >(county) Hodsag jaras (district) and now located in former Yugoslavia.
          > >I guess place is now located in Serbia.
          > >There were Rusyns and Slovaks resident in former Yugoslavia.
          > >The Hapsburg rulers invited them and other ethnicities to settle
          > >there to keep the Magyars out.
          >
          > Many thanks Frank. I would have never found that one.
          >
          > John

          -Nech sa pác^i

          Further investigation indicates there was also a place called Lality
          located in former Bács-Bodrog megye and close to Liliomos.

          Believe that Lality is now called Lalic and is located 73 miles NW of
          Beograd (Belgrade) Yugoslavia (Serbia)

          Somewhere around Kula and Kucora on Hungarian map ?
          Expect too small to show on map.

          http://lazarus.elte.hu/hun/maps/1910/bacsbod.jpg
        • John
          Message 4 of 10 , Feb 21, 2002
            At 01:31 PM 2/21/02 +0000, you wrote:
            >--- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@y..., John <jmatsko4@c...> wrote:
            > > At 12:24 AM 2/21/02 +0000, you wrote:
            > >
            > > >You want Liliomos formerly located in old Hungarian Bac-Bodrog megye
            > > >(county) Hodsag jaras (district) and now located in former Yugoslavia.
            > > >I guess place is now located in Serbia.
            > > >There were Rusyns and Slovaks resident in former Yugoslavia.
            > > >The Hapsburg rulers invited them and other ethnicities to settle
            > > >there to keep the Magyars out.
            > >
            > > Many thanks Frank. I would have never found that one.
            > >
            > > John
            >
            >-Nech sa pác^i
            >
            >Further investigation indicates there was also a place called Lality
            >located in former Bács-Bodrog megye and close to Liliomos.

            Thanks again. I'm not certain why the Slovaks settled in the south central
            part of Hungary. On the ship's manifest, all the people from that village
            were listed as Hungarian under nationality and then as Slovak under race or
            people. At the time of the immigration (1902-1905) of the Butas^ family
            that area was a part of Hungary and not Austria. As you indicated, it's
            probably a part of Serbia now.

            John
          • Gary Costel
            Message 5 of 10 , Mar 4, 2004
              I have a Declaration of Intention for Citizenship for a relative, and he
              lists his place of birth as "Krilovce" in the year 1889. Is this the
              same as present day "Krislovce"?

              If so, does anyone know with what village/town the Church Records would
              be located with in the FHL films?

              Thanks, again
              Gary

            • Frank
              Message 6 of 10 , Mar 4, 2004
                --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Gary Costel" <gcostel64@c...> wrote:
                > I have a Declaration of Intention for Citizenship for a relative, and he
                > lists his place of birth as "Krilovce" in the year 1889. Is this the
                > same as present day "Krislovce"?
                >
                > If so, does anyone know with what village/town the Church Records would
                > be located with in the FHL films?
                >
                > Thanks, again
                > Gary

                Kris^l'ovce (Sk) Krislivci (Ru) Kryslivci (H) was a C-R village located in
                Zemplén megye.

                Its LDS G.C. parish church records are listed under Brus^nica (1831-1945)
                Text in Latin and Hungarian and Rusyn.

                film #
                1792035
                1792036

                Frank
              • Gary Costel
                Message 7 of 10 , May 6, 2004
                  I have a name of a village that was written down as to where an ancestor
                  was from in present day Slovakia.

                  The "old village name" was either spelled Meges or Megyes. I believe
                  that the "new village name" is Medzianky.
                  Can anyone verify if this is correct?

                  Thanks,
                  Gary

                • June McKee
                  Message 8 of 10 , Nov 26, 2007
                    John,
                    thanks for the information. I hadnt thought of trying that one yet. I will diffently give it a try.

                    June

                    Message 9 of 10 , Jun 11 4:19 AM
                      Name of village is: (slovakian name)Laliť , (hun)Liliomos, or (serb-croatian)Lalić.

                      In ship records i found many misspelled variations of village name:  Hiliomos, Hilionos, Lihamos, Lility, Liliamas, Lality...

                      Slovak families come in  village between years 1760 – 1790s. Slovak evangelical church was built  between years 1848—1852, before that church records(births, deaths, marriages) was in Selenča.

                      Family Butaš still live in Lalit.