Village Name

  • John
    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 20, 2002
      I have located the ship's manifest pages for Janos Butas^ and his wife
      Katalin who immigrated about 3 years later. Janos is shown arriving with 5
      other men from the village of LILITY. All are listed as Slovaks. His wife
      and two children are listed as Slovaks coming from LILIAWAS or
      LILIAMAS. In both cases the village is written legibly. I have had no luck
      using "ShtetlSeeker" or "Nazvy Obci" in finding the village. The closest
      I've been able to come to the spelling is Leled , which is now Lel'a.

      On the US marriage application of their son Steven, his birthplace is
      listed as BACH BODROG. I have had no success with this one
      either. Although on both manifests they are listed as Slovak, is it
      possible that their village is currently in Hungary? I did find Butas^ in
      the Bratislava and Nitra phone directory. Thanks.

      John
    • frankly1us
      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 20, 2002
        --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@y..., John <jmatsko4@c...> wrote:
        > I have located the ship's manifest pages for Janos Butas^ and his wife
        > Katalin who immigrated about 3 years later. Janos is shown arriving with 5
        > other men from the village of LILITY. All are listed as Slovaks. His wife
        > and two children are listed as Slovaks coming from LILIAWAS or
        > LILIAMAS. In both cases the village is written legibly. I have had no luck
        > using "ShtetlSeeker" or "Nazvy Obci" in finding the village. The closest
        > I've been able to come to the spelling is Leled , which is now Lel'a.
        >
        > On the US marriage application of their son Steven, his birthplace is
        > listed as BACH BODROG. I have had no success with this one
        > either. Although on both manifests they are listed as Slovak, is it
        > possible that their village is currently in Hungary? I did find Butas^ in
        > the Bratislava and Nitra phone directory. Thanks.
        >
        > John

        No. John.

        You want Liliomos formerly located in old Hungarian Bac-Bodrog megye
        (county) Hodsag jaras (district) and now located in former Yugoslavia.
        I guess place is now located in Serbia.
        There were Rusyns and Slovaks resident in former Yugoslavia.
        The Hapsburg rulers invited them and other ethnicities to settle
        there to keep the Magyars out.
      • John
        Message 3 of 10 , Feb 20, 2002
          At 12:24 AM 2/21/02 +0000, you wrote:

          >You want Liliomos formerly located in old Hungarian Bac-Bodrog megye
          >(county) Hodsag jaras (district) and now located in former Yugoslavia.
          >I guess place is now located in Serbia.
          >There were Rusyns and Slovaks resident in former Yugoslavia.
          >The Hapsburg rulers invited them and other ethnicities to settle
          >there to keep the Magyars out.

          Many thanks Frank. I would have never found that one.

          John
        • frankly1us
          Message 4 of 10 , Feb 21, 2002
            --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@y..., John <jmatsko4@c...> wrote:
            > At 12:24 AM 2/21/02 +0000, you wrote:
            >
            > >You want Liliomos formerly located in old Hungarian Bac-Bodrog megye
            > >(county) Hodsag jaras (district) and now located in former Yugoslavia.
            > >I guess place is now located in Serbia.
            > >There were Rusyns and Slovaks resident in former Yugoslavia.
            > >The Hapsburg rulers invited them and other ethnicities to settle
            > >there to keep the Magyars out.
            >
            > Many thanks Frank. I would have never found that one.
            >
            > John

            -Nech sa pác^i

            Further investigation indicates there was also a place called Lality
            located in former Bács-Bodrog megye and close to Liliomos.

            Believe that Lality is now called Lalic and is located 73 miles NW of
            Beograd (Belgrade) Yugoslavia (Serbia)

            Somewhere around Kula and Kucora on Hungarian map ?
            Expect too small to show on map.

            http://lazarus.elte.hu/hun/maps/1910/bacsbod.jpg
          • John
            Message 5 of 10 , Feb 21, 2002
              At 01:31 PM 2/21/02 +0000, you wrote:
              >--- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@y..., John <jmatsko4@c...> wrote:
              > > At 12:24 AM 2/21/02 +0000, you wrote:
              > >
              > > >You want Liliomos formerly located in old Hungarian Bac-Bodrog megye
              > > >(county) Hodsag jaras (district) and now located in former Yugoslavia.
              > > >I guess place is now located in Serbia.
              > > >There were Rusyns and Slovaks resident in former Yugoslavia.
              > > >The Hapsburg rulers invited them and other ethnicities to settle
              > > >there to keep the Magyars out.
              > >
              > > Many thanks Frank. I would have never found that one.
              > >
              > > John
              >
              >-Nech sa pác^i
              >
              >Further investigation indicates there was also a place called Lality
              >located in former Bács-Bodrog megye and close to Liliomos.

              Thanks again. I'm not certain why the Slovaks settled in the south central
              part of Hungary. On the ship's manifest, all the people from that village
              were listed as Hungarian under nationality and then as Slovak under race or
              people. At the time of the immigration (1902-1905) of the Butas^ family
              that area was a part of Hungary and not Austria. As you indicated, it's
              probably a part of Serbia now.

              John
            • Gary Costel
              Message 6 of 10 , Mar 4, 2004
                I have a Declaration of Intention for Citizenship for a relative, and he
                lists his place of birth as "Krilovce" in the year 1889. Is this the
                same as present day "Krislovce"?

                If so, does anyone know with what village/town the Church Records would
                be located with in the FHL films?

                Thanks, again
                Gary

              • Frank
                Message 7 of 10 , Mar 4, 2004
                  --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Gary Costel" <gcostel64@c...> wrote:
                  > I have a Declaration of Intention for Citizenship for a relative, and he
                  > lists his place of birth as "Krilovce" in the year 1889. Is this the
                  > same as present day "Krislovce"?
                  >
                  > If so, does anyone know with what village/town the Church Records would
                  > be located with in the FHL films?
                  >
                  > Thanks, again
                  > Gary

                  Kris^l'ovce (Sk) Krislivci (Ru) Kryslivci (H) was a C-R village located in
                  Zemplén megye.

                  Its LDS G.C. parish church records are listed under Brus^nica (1831-1945)
                  Text in Latin and Hungarian and Rusyn.

                  film #
                  1792035
                  1792036

                  Frank
                • Gary Costel
                  Message 8 of 10 , May 6, 2004
                    I have a name of a village that was written down as to where an ancestor
                    was from in present day Slovakia.

                    The "old village name" was either spelled Meges or Megyes. I believe
                    that the "new village name" is Medzianky.
                    Can anyone verify if this is correct?

                    Thanks,
                    Gary

                  • June McKee
                    Message 9 of 10 , Nov 26, 2007
                      John,
                      thanks for the information. I hadnt thought of trying that one yet. I will diffently give it a try.

                      June

                      Message 10 of 10 , Jun 11, 2014
                        Name of village is: (slovakian name)Laliť , (hun)Liliomos, or (serb-croatian)Lalić.

                        In ship records i found many misspelled variations of village name:  Hiliomos, Hilionos, Lihamos, Lility, Liliamas, Lality...

                        Slovak families come in  village between years 1760 – 1790s. Slovak evangelical church was built  between years 1848—1852, before that church records(births, deaths, marriages) was in Selenča.

                        Family Butaš still live in Lalit.