Re: [S-R] Re: Arranged marriages

  • Andrea Vangor
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 18, 2002
      If you go through old church records, you will see plenty of peculiar
      looking marriages that took place in the old villages. Widows marrying men
      up to fifteen years younger were rare events but did occur. Newly widowed
      men with orphaned infants might marry young girls within days or weeks of
      the wife's death, so as to be able to care for the baby. Marriage was a
      serious business. Nonetheless, many of these marriages of convenience may
      have turned out very happily for the spouses. Certainly many marriages made
      "for love" turned out very badly!