PERCHALUK - ZADOROZNY

  • kalicokat14
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 14, 2002
      I am trying to find information about my second set of Great
      Grandparents who emigrated to Canada arriving in Quebec, Canada in
      August 1896.

      My Great Grandfather's name was Peter (Petro) Perchaluk and I believe
      that he was born in the mid-1850's in Terebovla, Galicia. His wife's
      maiden name was Zadorozny (either Clara or Barbara). How do I trace
      back to find information about them and their respective families,
      eg. birth dates for Peter and his wife, as well as their parents and
      their birth dates/death dates? They settled near Dauphin, Manitoba
      in Valley River.

    • frankly1us
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 15, 2002
        --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@y..., "kalicokat14" <sparks@m...> wrote:
        > I am trying to find information about my second set of Great
        > Grandparents who emigrated to Canada arriving in Quebec, Canada in
        > August 1896.
        >
        > My Great Grandfather's name was Peter (Petro) Perchaluk and I believe
        > that he was born in the mid-1850's in Terebovla, Galicia. His wife's
        > maiden name was Zadorozny (either Clara or Barbara). How do I trace
        > back to find information about them and their respective families,
        > eg. birth dates for Peter and his wife, as well as their parents and
        > their birth dates/death dates? They settled near Dauphin, Manitoba
        > in Valley River.

        Don't know your surnames.

        From the late 1700s until the end of WW I, Poland did not exist as a
        country. It was divided among the Russian, German (Prussian), and
        Austrian Empires. These divisions were known as Partitions.
        There was Russian-Poland, German-Poland, and Austrian-Poland.

        Galicia was formerly a Austrian Kronland and part of Austro-Hungarian
        Monarchy (1867-1918). Sometimes referred to as Austrian Poland.
        Other names for the area were Galicja (Polish), Galizien (German),
        Halychyna (Ukrainian) and Rus Halicka (Polish).

        In 1918, Galicia was annexed to Poland as "Kleinpolen" (Malopolska [P],
        Little Poland [E)
        After the 1939 partition of Poland by Germany and Russia, East Galicia
        became part of Ukraine while West Galicia remained in Poland as part of
        the provisional government of Warsaw.
        Its former territories are now shared between southern Poland and
        western Ukraine.
        Under a Polish-Soviet agreement in 1945, Galicia was assigned to the
        USSR and incorporated into the Ukrainian SSR.
        After the Ukraine achieved independence in 1991, Tarnopol province was
        changed to Ternopil' oblast, Lówów to L'viv, and Stanislawów became Stanisl=
        av
        oblast (renamed Ivano-Frankovsk oblast in 1962) and in 1991 Ivan-Frankivs'k=

        oblast.

        Terebovlya/Terebovla/Terbovlia/Trembowla/Tyeryebovlya was the district cent=
        er
        in Ternpoli' region of the Ukraine.
        It is located 227 miles WSW of Kiev K | | B, Ukraine.

        http://www.monmouth.com/~fkobylarz/maps/dist1906.html
        http://home.swipnet.se/roland/galicia.html

        As to researching your surnames, read reply to Re: Anthony Kutcher query ab=
        ove
        Your two towns were only about 10 miles distant.