ANTHONY KUTCHER (Antoni Kuczer)

  • kalicokat14
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 14, 2002
      I have just begun to research my Ukrainian roots, and would like some
      help in finding information about my Great Grandfather Anthony
      Kutcher (I believe the spelling of the name in the Ukraine was Antoni
      Kuczer).

      I believe he emigrated to Canada around 1900 from Shuparka, Borschiw
      with his wife Carolyn (nee Dowhan) with at least 4 young children.

      How do I find out the date of his birth and names of his parents in
      the Ukraine?

      How would I find out the same information about my Great Grandmother
      Carolyn Dowhan?

      How would I find out the exact date that they emigrated to Canada?

      Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    • frankly1us
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 15, 2002
        --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@y..., "kalicokat14" <sparks@m...> wrote:
        > I have just begun to research my Ukrainian roots, and would like some
        > help in finding information about my Great Grandfather Anthony
        > Kutcher (I believe the spelling of the name in the Ukraine was Antoni
        > Kuczer).
        >
        > I believe he emigrated to Canada around 1900 from Shuparka, Borschiw
        > with his wife Carolyn (nee Dowhan) with at least 4 young children.
        >
        > How do I find out the date of his birth and names of his parents in
        > the Ukraine?
        >
        > How would I find out the same information about my Great Grandmother
        > Carolyn Dowhan?
        >
        > How would I find out the exact date that they emigrated to Canada?
        >
        > Any help would be greatly appreciated.

        Shuparka, district Borshchiv/Borschiw/Borshchiv/Bors^c^iv/
        Borscov/Borshchev/ et al is located 235 miles WSW of Kiev, Ukraine
        and 8 miles from town of Borschiv as above.
        This is close to the current Romanian and Moldovian borders with
        the Ukraine.

        Try alpha letter S on map of the oblast' below for
        exact location of Shuparka/Shchuparka.

        http://www.rootsweb.com/~ukrwgw/cherni/chernicity.htm

        There are a number of problems associated with researching
        surnames in the Ukraine.

        When transliterating from Cyrillic alphabet to western (Latin)
        alphabet,5-6 different place name spellings are possible because
        there is no standard - all spellings are correct.
        It depends into which European language the name was transliterated
        last ?

        How are you ?

        K A K D E J| A' ? Russian (Cyrillic)
        (k ah k d ye l a )

        R K C || P A B |/| ? Ukrainian (Cyrillic)
        (yah k s p r รก v ee )

        Ukrainian has a H sound/letter, but no hard G.

        Russian has no H sound/letter, but a hard G.

        Besides the surnames village/town of origin you need birth dates of your
        surnames to research the birth dates of their parents.
        So, surname Kuczer was K y U| e p or something similar ?

        In 1945, Czechoslovakia was restored back to its pre-Munich borders,
        less Subcarpathian Rus' which the Soviet Union kept.
        (The Allies stripped Hungary of all its post-Munich acquisitions and
        returned the country to its Trianon (1920) boundaries)
        The Karpatho-Ukraine was annexed in June 1945 by the Soviet Union.
        Since 1991, it is part of the independent Republic Ukraine.

        If you write the Ukrainian Archives in Cyrillic Ukrainian, they may
        reply to a request for surname records in a year or so, or never !
        Or, your letter may never arrive.
        The above was true in good times.
        The last five years have not been good in the Ukraine.

        Sometimes emigrants to Canada trans-shipped through the U.S. ports of
        entry.

        To find exact date they emigrated to Canada you will need to try :

        Canadian Genealogical Pages and Immigration Records.

        http://www-personal.umich.edu/%7Ecgaunt/canada.html#CANADIAN