Re: [S-R] Mihalov Surname

  • Andrea Vangor
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 10, 2002
      I have a Hirkala connection. A young woman named Annie Hirkala came to
      Nanaimo BC where she married a presumably very distant cousin, one of dozens
      named Andrej Vangor.

      He was a young fellow who worked in the coal mines and was killed around
      1895, leaving a young widow and two young children. Annie Hirkala remarried
      a man named Vargo. Her first husband's sister Elizabeth Vangor married a
      man named Mayovsky and left what seem like hundreds of descendants in the
      Northwest. I am in touch with one of them, who gave me some details about
      Annie Hirkala and a photograph of her. I know that she came from some town
      up in the Malcov area. The story goes that she spent some time in New
      Jersey before going out to Canada.

      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 10, 2002
        There are three microfilms available for Gerlichov:

        FHL INTL Film 1792655 Items 4-5
        FHL INTL Film 1792632
        FHL INTL Film 1792633 Items 1-3

        Cirkevná matrika, 1768-1895 Cirkev grécko-katolícka. Farský úrad Malcov
        (Bardejov)
        Greek Catholic parish registers of baptisms, marriages and deaths for
        Malcov, Slovakia, formerly Malyczó, Sáros, Hungary. Includes
        affiliated towns
        of Gerlachov, Slovakia, formerly Gerlahó, Sáros, Hungary and
        Lenartov,
        Slovakia, formerly Lénártó, Sáros, Hungary. Text in Latin,
        Hungarian and
        Ruthenian.

        Slovakia, Malcov - Church records
        Hungary, Sáros, Malyczó - Church records
        Slovakia, Gerlachov - Church records
        Hungary, Sáros, Gerlahó - Church records
        Slovakia, Lenartov - Church records
        Hungary, Sáros, Lénártó - Church records

        I think you can get directly to the site:

        http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library/fhlcatalog/supermainframeset.asp?display=titlefilmnotes&columns=*%2C180%2C0&titleno=733824&disp=Cirkevn%E1_matrika

        Just be sure to past all the parts of the address together.

        Dr. "Q"

      • KMehallow@aol.com
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 11, 2002
          To all of you who responded to my queries on the MIHALOV Surname, I thank you
          from the bottom of my heart. It certainly is looking for a needle in a
          haystack with only the one birth certificate I have; but I will look into
          everything that was suggested by each of you.

          Again, Thank you

          Kathy
          Las Vegas

          Other Surnames PLEVYAK, PEROW, MOTEL, ZUMALYAK