Re: [S-R] Mihalov Surname

  • John
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 10, 2002
      At 07:03 PM 2/10/02 -0500, you wrote:
      >I am new to the list and looking for any information regarding my
      >great-grandparents. Little is known about them other than they immigrated
      >in the late 1880-1890's to Clearfield County, PA. I have my
      >great-grandfather's birth certificate from Malcov in 1866 in
      >Gerlachov. His name was Jon; parents were Michal & Anna Hirkalova
      >Mihalov. Godparents were Jan Kmetizeak & Katarine Beluscsako. Can anyone
      >tell me how I might be able to find any Mihalov's or Hirkalo's in present
      >day Gerlachov.

      Did they go by the surname Mihalov? Could it be that his surname was
      Mihal. There are many Mihal in the area. Mihalova would be the feminine
      form of Mihal. Her name would be Anna Hirkalova Mihalova if her maiden and
      married surnames were included. I found others in my records that are
      researching the Hirkala line from Gerlachov. My wife's maternal
      grandmother was a Dorin from Gerlachov and one of the Dorins married a
      Hirkala in the late 19th century.

      > I tried emails to Mihalov's listed online; no one responded from
      > Slovakia. I do not speak the language and have tried the telephone book
      > listed in Slovakian without any success.

      Was the lack of success due to language limitations? Instructions for the
      book can be found at:

      http://www.centroconsult.sk/Support/phone.html

      If you use the first 3 letters of the surname and the first 3 letters of
      the village you can get a lot more options to choose from.

      > Also have written to numerous Mihalov's listed in the US telephone
      > directory with no success. I do have the grandparents and
      > great-grandparents death certificate but all it says is birthplace
      > Austra; likewise on the Census.

      Normally the records back then would indicate Hungarian because the
      villages were in Saros county in Upper Hungary. The villages are just a
      few miles south of the Polish border. Southeast Poland was known as
      Galacia and was under Austrian control. The dual kingdom of
      Austria-Hungary was sometimes referred to as AH on documents or may have
      been shortened to Austria.

      Go
      to: http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library/FHLC/frameset_fhlc.asp and
      do a place search on Gerlachov. There are about 4 Greek Catholic
      microfilms listed for Gerlachov. I would also look at the RC records for
      Lenartov. Many of Gerlachov marriages were listed there also.

      John