Re: [S-R] Mihalov Surname

  • John
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 10, 2002
      At 07:03 PM 2/10/02 -0500, you wrote:
      >I am new to the list and looking for any information regarding my
      >great-grandparents. Little is known about them other than they immigrated in
      >the late 1880-1890's to Clearfield County, PA.

      My wife's grandparents are from Gerlachov and emigrated to the Clearfield
      county area. I did not find a Hirkala in Gerlachov. I believe Hirkalova
      is the feminine ending for Hirkala. I found a Milan Hirkala in
      Bardejov. I visited Gerlachov and Malc^ov in the fall of 1999. Current
      records (>1895) for Gerlachov are now located in Malcov.

      > I have my great-grandfather's birth certificate from Malcov in 1866 in
      > Gerlachov. His name was Jon;
      >parents were Michal & Anna Hirkalova Mihalov. Godparents were Jan Kmetizeak &
      > Katarine Beluscsako. Can anyone tell me how I might be able to find any
      >Mihalov's or Hirkalo's in present day Gerlachov. I tried emails to Mihalov's
      >listed online; no one responded from Slovakia. I do not speak the language
      >and have tried the telephone book listed in Slovakian without any success.
      >Also have written to numerous Mihalov's listed in the US telephone directory
      >with no success. I do have the grandparents and great-grandparents death
      >certificate but all it says is birthplace Austra; likewise on the Census.

      Have you looked at the LDS microfilms for the villages? I believe I saw
      Hirkala in the Gerlachov microfilms. I'll do a little more checking in my
      records and reply again. My parents are also from the Bardejov area and I
      have first cousins in the area.

      John
    • John
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 10, 2002
        At 07:03 PM 2/10/02 -0500, you wrote:
        >I am new to the list and looking for any information regarding my
        >great-grandparents. Little is known about them other than they immigrated
        >in the late 1880-1890's to Clearfield County, PA. I have my
        >great-grandfather's birth certificate from Malcov in 1866 in
        >Gerlachov. His name was Jon; parents were Michal & Anna Hirkalova
        >Mihalov. Godparents were Jan Kmetizeak & Katarine Beluscsako. Can anyone
        >tell me how I might be able to find any Mihalov's or Hirkalo's in present
        >day Gerlachov.

        Did they go by the surname Mihalov? Could it be that his surname was
        Mihal. There are many Mihal in the area. Mihalova would be the feminine
        form of Mihal. Her name would be Anna Hirkalova Mihalova if her maiden and
        married surnames were included. I found others in my records that are
        researching the Hirkala line from Gerlachov. My wife's maternal
        grandmother was a Dorin from Gerlachov and one of the Dorins married a
        Hirkala in the late 19th century.

        > I tried emails to Mihalov's listed online; no one responded from
        > Slovakia. I do not speak the language and have tried the telephone book
        > listed in Slovakian without any success.

        Was the lack of success due to language limitations? Instructions for the
        book can be found at:

        http://www.centroconsult.sk/Support/phone.html

        If you use the first 3 letters of the surname and the first 3 letters of
        the village you can get a lot more options to choose from.

        > Also have written to numerous Mihalov's listed in the US telephone
        > directory with no success. I do have the grandparents and
        > great-grandparents death certificate but all it says is birthplace
        > Austra; likewise on the Census.

        Normally the records back then would indicate Hungarian because the
        villages were in Saros county in Upper Hungary. The villages are just a
        few miles south of the Polish border. Southeast Poland was known as
        Galacia and was under Austrian control. The dual kingdom of
        Austria-Hungary was sometimes referred to as AH on documents or may have
        been shortened to Austria.

        Go
        to: http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library/FHLC/frameset_fhlc.asp and
        do a place search on Gerlachov. There are about 4 Greek Catholic
        microfilms listed for Gerlachov. I would also look at the RC records for
        Lenartov. Many of Gerlachov marriages were listed there also.

        John