Re: [S-R] Mihalov Surname

  • Dr. Joe Quashnock
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 10, 2002
      No response is not unusual. No acknowledgment from mailing lists is also not
      unusual. I looked for your names on the Slovak online phone directory. There is
      nothing in Gerlachov (10 km west of Bardejov), your names are not in the Bardejov
      area either. And I could not find Hirkalo in any of the major cities.

      The Hungarian name for Gerlachov was Gerlachó. It is a small town on the main
      road west out of Bardejov, I believe it has three churches or chapels, two are
      Greek Catholic.

      Try the Slovak telephone directory:

      http://www.zoznamst.sk/sk/index.html

      Select VŠETKY STANICE V SR (on the right)

      Put in at least three letters of the person's last name in the field - Názov alebo
      priezvisko

      Put in at least three letters in the town field - Mesto

      (You can ignore the rest)

      Press “search” - Vyhľadať

      Vymazať means “clear” - press it if you don't want to begin the search

      After the search, click on the name for details or Späť for a new search.

      Ďalších (any number) záznamov = the next (any number) records

      Predcházajúcich 20 (unless it’s the last few hits) záznamov = the previous 20
      (...) records

      Začiatok stránky = sort in alphabetical order back to the first records

      The other fields:

      Kľúšové slovo = key word

      Ulica = Street

      Meno, titul = First Name, Title

      Číslo domu = House Number

      Smerové telefónne číslo = Telephone Area Code

      Branžovnik = gives an alphabetical listing of key words for businesses and
      services, copy the word to the Kľúšové slovo field to get a list of the
      corresponding names and telephone numbers

      Ďalších (any number) záznamov = the next (any number) records

      Predcházajúcich 20 (unless it’s the last few hits) záznamov = the previous 20
      (...) records

      Začiatok stránky = sort in alphabetical order back to the first records

      ------------

      I tried to find the film numbers from the LDS site:
      http://www.familysearch.org/ but I could not reach it, you want to search the
      film library for the name Gerlachov, I am pretty sure they exist because the
      records from nearly all the towns in the Bardejov area have been microfilmed.
      Below is the direct link to the film library, be sure to copy the whole thing, it
      will probably wrap around at the end and leave a few parts of the address without
      a hypertext high light:

      http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library/fhlcatalog/supermainframeset.asp?display=localitysearch&columns=*,180,0

      I suggest you begin and concentrate your search in the Bardejov area, my relatives
      "began" in Livov, came to the US, went back this time to Gerlachov, and then moved
      to Bardejov by 1910, this was all within a 20 year period.

      Dr. "Q"

      KMehallow@... wrote:

      > I am new to the list and looking for any information regarding my
      > great-grandparents. Little is known about them other than they immigrated in
      > the late 1880-1890's to Clearfield County, PA. I have my great-grandfather's
      > birth certificate from Malcov in 1866 in Gerlachov. His name was Jon;
      > parents were Michal & Anna Hirkalova Mihalov. Godparents were Jan Kmetizeak &
      > Katarine Beluscsako. Can anyone tell me how I might be able to find any
      > Mihalov's or Hirkalo's in present day Gerlachov. I tried emails to Mihalov's
      > listed online; no one responded from Slovakia. I do not speak the language
      > and have tried the telephone book listed in Slovakian without any success.
      > Also have written to numerous Mihalov's listed in the US telephone directory
      > with no success. I do have the grandparents and great-grandparents death
      > certificate but all it says is birthplace Austra; likewise on the Census.
      >
      > Any suggestions would be appreciated.
      >
      > Thank you,
      >
      > Kathy Mehallow
      > Las Vegas
    • Andrea Vangor
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 10, 2002
        I have a Hirkala connection. A young woman named Annie Hirkala came to
        Nanaimo BC where she married a presumably very distant cousin, one of dozens
        named Andrej Vangor.

        He was a young fellow who worked in the coal mines and was killed around
        1895, leaving a young widow and two young children. Annie Hirkala remarried
        a man named Vargo. Her first husband's sister Elizabeth Vangor married a
        man named Mayovsky and left what seem like hundreds of descendants in the
        Northwest. I am in touch with one of them, who gave me some details about
        Annie Hirkala and a photograph of her. I know that she came from some town
        up in the Malcov area. The story goes that she spent some time in New
        Jersey before going out to Canada.

> [...]
        > > birth certificate from Malcov in 1866 in Gerlachov. His name was Jon;
        > > parents were Michal & Anna Hirkalova Mihalov. Godparents were Jan
        Kmetizeak &
        > > Katarine Beluscsako. Can anyone tell me how I might be able to find
        any
        > > Mihalov's or Hirkalo's in present day Gerlachov. I tried emails to
        Mihalov's
        > > listed online; no one responded from Slovakia. I do not speak the
        language
        > > and have tried the telephone book listed in Slovakian without any
        success.
        > > Also have written to numerous Mihalov's listed in the US telephone
        directory
        > > with no success. I do have the grandparents and great-grandparents
        death
        > > certificate but all it says is birthplace Austra; likewise on the

      • Dr. Joe Quashnock
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 10, 2002
          There are three microfilms available for Gerlichov:

          FHL INTL Film 1792655 Items 4-5
          FHL INTL Film 1792632
          FHL INTL Film 1792633 Items 1-3

          Cirkevná matrika, 1768-1895 Cirkev grécko-katolícka. Farský úrad Malcov
          (Bardejov)
          Greek Catholic parish registers of baptisms, marriages and deaths for
          Malcov, Slovakia, formerly Malyczó, Sáros, Hungary. Includes
          affiliated towns
          of Gerlachov, Slovakia, formerly Gerlahó, Sáros, Hungary and
          Lenartov,
          Slovakia, formerly Lénártó, Sáros, Hungary. Text in Latin,
          Hungarian and
          Ruthenian.

          Slovakia, Malcov - Church records
          Hungary, Sáros, Malyczó - Church records
          Slovakia, Gerlachov - Church records
          Hungary, Sáros, Gerlahó - Church records
          Slovakia, Lenartov - Church records
          Hungary, Sáros, Lénártó - Church records

          I think you can get directly to the site:

          http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library/fhlcatalog/supermainframeset.asp?display=titlefilmnotes&columns=*%2C180%2C0&titleno=733824&disp=Cirkevn%E1_matrika

          Just be sure to past all the parts of the address together.

          Dr. "Q"

        • KMehallow@aol.com
          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 11, 2002
            To all of you who responded to my queries on the MIHALOV Surname, I thank you
            from the bottom of my heart. It certainly is looking for a needle in a
            haystack with only the one birth certificate I have; but I will look into
            everything that was suggested by each of you.

            Again, Thank you

            Kathy
            Las Vegas

            Other Surnames PLEVYAK, PEROW, MOTEL, ZUMALYAK