Re: Lichtwar/Kisha

  • frankly1us
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 9, 2002
      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@y..., "itsallhamlet" <kkaraff@g...> wrote:
      > Hello, I have just joined as I am searching for information regarding
      > my mother's father's family name, which is Lichtwar. From my
      > understanding my grandfather was Slovak as were my mother's mother's
      > family who have the last name Kisha. Once I was told that Lichtwar
      > meant meadow or something like that. However, I have had little luck
      > finding information about the name, and there only seems a handful of
      > people with that last name. Any help or even information about the
      > word or origin would be appreciated.
      >
      > Kim

      ahoj

      Don't know your surnames.

      Expect that the Slovak version of surname Lichtwar was Lichvár or Lichvar.
      Lichtwar is a German spelling, which would suggest Zips (G) Szepes (H)
      Spis^ (Sk) region, or Hauerland in central Slovakia, or Bratislava (Sk) Poz=
      sony (H) Pressburg (G).
      A German surname would probably be spelled Lichtwark.

      In German the letter w is pron. v and letter v is pron. f, v.
      In Slovak and Hungarian , the letter w appeared only in foreign words.
      In most Slavic languages (Polish is an exception) the letter v is pron. v.=

      Meadow (E) Wiese (G) lúka (Sk) rét (H)