Lichtwar/Kisha

  • itsallhamlet
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 8, 2002
      Hello, I have just joined as I am searching for information regarding
      my mother's father's family name, which is Lichtwar. From my
      understanding my grandfather was Slovak as were my mother's mother's
      family who have the last name Kisha. Once I was told that Lichtwar
      meant meadow or something like that. However, I have had little luck
      finding information about the name, and there only seems a handful of
      people with that last name. Any help or even information about the
      word or origin would be appreciated.

      Kim
    • frankly1us
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 9, 2002
        --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@y..., "itsallhamlet" <kkaraff@g...> wrote:
        > Hello, I have just joined as I am searching for information regarding
        > my mother's father's family name, which is Lichtwar. From my
        > understanding my grandfather was Slovak as were my mother's mother's
        > family who have the last name Kisha. Once I was told that Lichtwar
        > meant meadow or something like that. However, I have had little luck
        > finding information about the name, and there only seems a handful of
        > people with that last name. Any help or even information about the
        > word or origin would be appreciated.
        >
        > Kim

        ahoj

        Don't know your surnames.

        Expect that the Slovak version of surname Lichtwar was Lichvár or Lichvar.
        Lichtwar is a German spelling, which would suggest Zips (G) Szepes (H)
        Spis^ (Sk) region, or Hauerland in central Slovakia, or Bratislava (Sk) Poz=
        sony (H) Pressburg (G).
        A German surname would probably be spelled Lichtwark.

        In German the letter w is pron. v and letter v is pron. f, v.
        In Slovak and Hungarian , the letter w appeared only in foreign words.
        In most Slavic languages (Polish is an exception) the letter v is pron. v.=

        Meadow (E) Wiese (G) lúka (Sk) rét (H)