Hungarian Name of Town and Current Name

  • tskvarenina
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 4, 2002
      Hi,

      I have a Rudolph Skvarenina in the Ellis Island records that is listed
      as coming from Kolbeny. However, it looks to me like the first letter
      should be "H" yielding Holbeny. Does anyone know if there was a
      Holbeny and what it is now?

      If you want to see the manifest, there are links to it from here:

      http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~skvarenina/individuals/rudolf
      .htm

      Most Skvarenina's are from Bosany. When I looked at the 1910 map:

      http://lazarus.elte.hu/hun/maps/1910/nyitra.jpg

      I noticed there is a town about 5 km NE of Bosany that looks like it
      might say Holbeny or Helbeny but it's not clear enough to be sure.

      Thanks,

      Tim
    • frankly1us
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 5, 2002
        --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@y..., "tskvarenina" <tskvarenina@y...> wrote:
        > Hi,
        >
        > I have a Rudolph Skvarenina in the Ellis Island records that is listed
        > as coming from Kolbeny. However, it looks to me like the first letter
        > should be "H" yielding Holbeny. Does anyone know if there was a
        > Holbeny and what it is now?
        >
        > If you want to see the manifest, there are links to it from here:
        >
        > http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~skvarenina/individuals/rudolf
        > .htm
        >
        > Most Skvarenina's are from Bosany. When I looked at the 1910 map:
        >
        > http://lazarus.elte.hu/hun/maps/1910/nyitra.jpg
        >
        > I noticed there is a town about 5 km NE of Bosany that looks like it
        > might say Holbeny or Helbeny but it's not clear enough to be sure.
        >
        > Thanks,
        >
        > Tim

        Alsóhelbény was formerly located in Nyitra megye.
        Felso"helbény was formrly located in Nyitra megye.

        Hungarian English Slovak grammatical form
        kis little malá/malé/maly'
        nagy large vel'ká/vel'ké/vel'ky'
        felso" upper horná/horné/horny'
        alsó lower dolná/dolné/dolny'
        felso" upper vys^ná/vys^né/vys^ny'
        alsó lower niz^ná/niz^né/niz^ny'

        R.C. parish church records (1813-1895) for Horné Chlebany and
        Dolné Chlebany are listed under Krus^ovce (Sk) Nyitrakoros (H)