Re: [S-R] Church Records: Spis, Trencin areas

  • Dr. Joe Quashnock
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 2, 2002
      The name of Šofranko (S^ofranko) is found through out the records of Spišský
      Hrušov (S^pis^sky’ Hrus^ov). The LDS film numbers are #1739885: 1861-1896
      (parts 1-2) and #1739903: 1713-1861 (parts 6-9).

      Former Hungarian and German names of present day Spišský Hrušov (postal code:
      05363)

      1253 - Kurtues
      1255 - Kurtuelus
      1294 - Horusk, Hurusk
      1364 - Hruschfálva, Hruskfálva
      1368 - Grussov
      1386 - Graucza
      1495 - Gravross
      1500 - Hrussow
      1773 - Grussow, Körtvélyes, Körtvélesz, Bierndorff
      1786 - Hrussow, Körtvélyes, Körtwélyesch, Birndorf
      1808 - Grausch, Hrussow, Körtvélyes, Birndorf
      1863-1902 - Körtvélyes
      1907-1918 - Szepeskörtvélyes, Grausch, Birndorf
      1920 - Hrušov
      1927 - Spišský Hrušov

      Spišský Hrušov is 38 km (24 miles) west of Prešov, 10 km (6 miles) east of
      Spišská Nová Ves, 46 km (29 miles) northwest of Košice, and 300 km (195 miles)
      northeast of Bratislava.

      Kört is the Hungarian root word for pear, hurs^ov is the Slovak root word for
      pear. The town's crest is a tree with four pears on it, the tree sits on a
      hill.

      Dr. "Q"

      "Mary Anne L. Waltz" wrote:

      > Before I actually go to my local LDS Family Center, can some one please
      > verify that I will be asking for the correct parish registers?
      >
      > I am looking for my grandmother SOFRANKO from "Spis." According to the Ellis
      > Island records (she doesn't show up) and a few other bits of info I've
      > discovered, most Sofrankos were from either Kortvelyes/Spissky Hrusov or
      > Hrabko/Harapko/Hrabkov. I've identified LDS records for
      >
      > Cirkev rímsko-katolícka. Farský úrad Spisský Hrusov (Spisská Nová Ves).
      > Cirkevná matrika, 1713-1898
      > and
      > Cirkev rímsko-katolícka. Farský úrad Spisská Nová Ves (Ves Spisská Nová).
      > Cirkevná matrika, 1626-1895
      >
      > My grandfather SIMASEK was from the Trencin region, probably Stara Bystrica.
      > I've identified LDS records for
      >
      > Cirkev rímsko-katolícka. Farský úrad Presov. Cirkevná matrika, 1610-1933
      >
      > Do these church registers cover the villages I want to research?
      >
      > Thanks for your help.
      > Mary Anne Waltz
    • Dr. Joe Quashnock
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 2, 2002
        Here is the site for Spišský Hrušov, it's in Slovak.

        http://www.gymsnv.sk/~d1sk/x0dsofj/

        Dr. "Q"

        "Mary Anne L. Waltz" wrote:

        > Before I actually go to my local LDS Family Center, can some one please
        > verify that I will be asking for the correct parish registers?
        >
        > I am looking for my grandmother SOFRANKO from "Spis." According to the Ellis
        > Island records (she doesn't show up) and a few other bits of info I've
        > discovered, most Sofrankos were from either Kortvelyes/Spissky Hrusov or
        > Hrabko/Harapko/Hrabkov. I've identified LDS records for
        >
        > Cirkev rímsko-katolícka. Farský úrad Spisský Hrusov (Spisská Nová Ves).
        > Cirkevná matrika, 1713-1898
        > and
        > Cirkev rímsko-katolícka. Farský úrad Spisská Nová Ves (Ves Spisská Nová).
        > Cirkevná matrika, 1626-1895
        >
        > My grandfather SIMASEK was from the Trencin region, probably Stara Bystrica.
        > I've identified LDS records for
        >
        > Cirkev rímsko-katolícka. Farský úrad Presov. Cirkevná matrika, 1610-1933
        >
        > Do these church registers cover the villages I want to research?
        >
        > Thanks for your help.
        > Mary Anne Waltz
      • Mary Anne L. Waltz
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 4, 2002
          Thanks so much to all for your information. Perhaps I shouldn't let myself get so
          excited about borrowing these films, but this seems like the best lead I've had in
          literally years. Wish me luck.
          Mary Anne Waltz
          (researching Simasek/Sofranko)

        • ppik900
          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 15 8:05 AM
            Mary,
            I can help you in your research in Stara Bystrica, Slovakia. Ther
            are living many Simacek´s. You can write to me at: ppik900@...