Re: [S-R] Re: Church Records: Spis, Trencin areas

  • Dr. Joe Quashnock
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 2, 2002
      The name of Šofranko (S^ofranko) is found through out the records of Spišský
      Hrušov (S^pis^sky’ Hrus^ov). The LDS film numbers are #1739885: 1861-1896
      (parts 1-2) and #1739903: 1713-1861 (parts 6-9).

      Former Hungarian and German names of present day Spišský Hrušov (postal code:
      05363)

      1253 - Kurtues
      1255 - Kurtuelus
      1294 - Horusk, Hurusk
      1364 - Hruschfálva, Hruskfálva
      1368 - Grussov
      1386 - Graucza
      1495 - Gravross
      1500 - Hrussow
      1773 - Grussow, Körtvélyes, Körtvélesz, Bierndorff
      1786 - Hrussow, Körtvélyes, Körtwélyesch, Birndorf
      1808 - Grausch, Hrussow, Körtvélyes, Birndorf
      1863-1902 - Körtvélyes
      1907-1918 - Szepeskörtvélyes, Grausch, Birndorf
      1920 - Hrušov
      1927 - Spišský Hrušov

      Spišský Hrušov is 38 km (24 miles) west of Prešov, 10 km (6 miles) east of
      Spišská Nová Ves, 46 km (29 miles) northwest of Košice, and 300 km (195 miles)
      northeast of Bratislava.

      Kört is the Hungarian root for pear, hrus^ov is the Slovak root word for pear.
      The towns crest is a tree with four pears on it, the tree sits on a hill.

      Dr. "Q"