Church Records: Spis, Trencin areas

  • Mary Anne L. Waltz
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 1, 2002
      Before I actually go to my local LDS Family Center, can some one please
      verify that I will be asking for the correct parish registers?

      I am looking for my grandmother SOFRANKO from "Spis." According to the Ellis
      Island records (she doesn't show up) and a few other bits of info I've
      discovered, most Sofrankos were from either Kortvelyes/Spissky Hrusov or
      Hrabko/Harapko/Hrabkov. I've identified LDS records for

      Cirkev rímsko-katolícka. Farský úrad Spisský Hrusov (Spisská Nová Ves).
      Cirkevná matrika, 1713-1898
      and
      Cirkev rímsko-katolícka. Farský úrad Spisská Nová Ves (Ves Spisská Nová).
      Cirkevná matrika, 1626-1895

      My grandfather SIMASEK was from the Trencin region, probably Stara Bystrica.
      I've identified LDS records for

      Cirkev rímsko-katolícka. Farský úrad Presov. Cirkevná matrika, 1610-1933

      Do these church registers cover the villages I want to research?

      Thanks for your help.
      Mary Anne Waltz

    • frankly1us
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 1, 2002
        --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@y..., "Mary Anne L. Waltz" <waltzm@r...> wrote:
        > Before I actually go to my local LDS Family Center, can some one please
        > verify that I will be asking for the correct parish registers?
        >
        > I am looking for my grandmother SOFRANKO from "Spis." According to the El=
        lis
        > Island records (she doesn't show up) and a few other bits of info I've
        > discovered, most Sofrankos were from either Kortvelyes/Spissky Hrusov or
        > Hrabko/Harapko/Hrabkov. I've identified LDS records for
        >
        > Cirkev rímsko-katolícka. Farský úrad Spisský Hrusov (Spisská Nová Ves).
        > Cirkevná matrika, 1713-1898
        > and
        > Cirkev rímsko-katolícka. Farský úrad Spisská Nová Ves (Ves Spisská Nová).=

        > Cirkevná matrika, 1626-1895
        >

        > My grandfather SIMASEK was from the Trencin region, probably Stara Bystri=
        ca.
        > I've identified LDS records for
        >
        > Cirkev rímsko-katolícka. Farský úrad Presov. Cirkevná matrika, 1610-1933
        >
        > Do these church registers cover the villages I want to research?
        >
        > Thanks for your help.
        > Mary Anne Waltz

        Before WW I, Slovakia was part of Upper Hungary (Felvidék) and
        part of the Austro-Hungarian Empire (1867-1918) and earlier a
        part of Hungary under the Austrian Empire.
        Hungarian names were used for towns and counties.

        In this forum,the term Spis has been discussed before.
        Spis^ z^upa (county) was the name for former old Hungarian Szepes megye
        (county)
        Szepes means beautiful in Hungarian.

        Spis^sky' Hrus^ov (Sk) was formerly Szepeskörtyelyes (H) and is located
        173 miles ENE of Bratislava in the Stará Nová Ves region.
        LDS filmed the R.C. parish church records.
        Cirkevná matrika, 1713-1898 Cirkev rímsko-katolícka. Farský úrad
        Spisský Hrusov
        Text in latin and Hungarian.
        film #
        1739903
        1739885

        Hrabkov (Sk) was formerly Harapkó (H) and is located 187 miles ENE of
        Bratislava in the Pres^ov region.
        (Its R.C. records (1792-1895) are under listed under Kriz^ovany)

        Stará Bystrica (Sk) was formerly O'beszterce (H) and is located 117 miles N=
        E of Bratislava in the C^adca region.

        The LDS filmed the R.C. parish church records.
        Cirkevná matrika, 1689-1895 Cirkev rímskó-katolícka.
        Farský úrad Stará Bystrica
        Text Latin and Hungarian.

        film #
        2058229