RE: [S-R] Czech vs. Slovak

  • Milan Huba
    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 28, 2002
      I not sure that I would agree that Czech and Slovak are as close as British
      and American English. I have no problem speaking and understanding Slovak,
      but have a great deal of difficulty understanding Czech. I have Slovak
      relatives in Prague that I visit periodically. The Czechs there don't seem
      to have any problem understanding my Slovak. I was told that they understood
      Slovak because both languages were used on radio and TV. But, I haven't
      been exposed to Czech so that when they talk to me in Czech, I understand
      only about 50% of what they are saying.