Re: [S-R] Czech vs. Slovak

  • monica wentworth
    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 28, 2002
      I thought these languages were as close as Italian and Spanish. But if they
      are as close and US english and Brit english that's pretty amazing.

    • Armata, Joseph R. (JArmata)
      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 28, 2002
        Here's a bit more input.

        I learned Slovak the hard way as an adult, and when I started trying to read
        Czech it was very very difficult. It seemed I had to look up every 3rd or
        4th word, and some sentences I had to read many times until I understood the
        syntax and could make sense of them. So from my perspective, the
        differences between them aren't trivial.

        A year or so ago I was talking with a Slovak visiting the US. He was in his
        40s and had grown up under Czechoslovakia, where he heard Czech all the time
        on TV and radio etc, and he understood it fine. But his young children who
        grew up under the Slovak Republic have not been exposed to Czech like he
        was, and he's amazed that they can't understand it. I think native Slovak
        speakers of middle age and older find Slovak and Czech so similar because
        they've grown up with both.

        Joe

      • Milan Huba
        Message 3 of 11 , Jan 28, 2002
          I not sure that I would agree that Czech and Slovak are as close as British
          and American English. I have no problem speaking and understanding Slovak,
          but have a great deal of difficulty understanding Czech. I have Slovak
          relatives in Prague that I visit periodically. The Czechs there don't seem
          to have any problem understanding my Slovak. I was told that they understood
          Slovak because both languages were used on radio and TV. But, I haven't
          been exposed to Czech so that when they talk to me in Czech, I understand
          only about 50% of what they are saying.