Re: Stefko

  • frankly1us
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 26, 2002
      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@y..., deschappell@c... wrote:
      > I have been reading e-mail from this group for several weeks and have fou=
      nd
      > the information extremely beneficial. Thank you for your thorough
      > explanations as I have learned much.
      >
      > I am looking for information on my grandfather John Stefko (b1897), or an=
      > relation to him born in Slovakia. I suspect he may have been born under =
      the
      > name of Janos (?) Janota, since I have procured the citizenship papers of=
      his
      > older brother whose birth name was Andras Janota.
      >
      > I later found out that their parents did not marry for approximately four=
      teen
      > years after the birth of their first child (Andras). How common was this=

      > lengthy engagement and what might have caused it? It was allegedly a "fa=
      mily
      > secret." The time period would have been around 1885.
      >
      > I have not been able to obtain INS papers regarding my grandfather yet, b=
      ut
      > his brother's citizenship papers place him in Ploske and Varhanovce,
      > Slovakia. There are two Ploskes in Slovakia, and I suspect that their fa=
      mily
      > has come from the smaller Ploske which is not two miles from Varhanovce. =

      > I have poured over the microfilms from the Family History Center, but I h=
      ave
      > not found either Stefko or Janota, realizing that there may be another
      > spelling. Could anyone perhaps point me in the direction where I may obt=
      ain
      > some further information?
      >
      > Thank you,
      > Dawn Stefko Chappell

      You can find the surnames Stefka, Stefko, Stefkovic, Stefkovy in
      Slovakia.
      Whether these are variant surname spellings or related have no idea.

      The Ellis Island Records list 219 surname Stefko emigrated to U.S.
      1892-1924.
      A large clan, but from many places located in Central and Eastern Europe.

      This Ploské (Sv) was called Lapispatak in Hungarian.
      Varhan^ovce (Sk) was called Várgony in Hungarian.

      A Janos Stefko, age 24, emigrated in 1910 from Wargony.
      A Janos Stefko, age 3, emigrated in 1913 from Vargony.
      A Julia Stefko emigrated in 1913 from Vargony.
      Mother ?
      A Anna Stefko emigrated in 1924 from Varhanowce.
      (All are the same place name Varhan^ovce)
    • Milan Huba
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 27, 2002
        Regarding the long engagement, it could have been because of a military
        obligation. Every young man had a military obligation and the lower ranks
        were not allowed to get married until their active duty obligation was
        finished. This meant that many young men could not get married until they
        were approximately 28 years old.

        I read this somewhere long time ago andy my not