Stefko

  • deschappell@cs.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 25, 2002
      I have been reading e-mail from this group for several weeks and have found
      the information extremely beneficial. Thank you for your thorough
      explanations as I have learned much.

      I am looking for information on my grandfather John Stefko (b1897), or any
      relation to him born in Slovakia. I suspect he may have been born under the
      name of Janos (?) Janota, since I have procured the citizenship papers of his
      older brother whose birth name was Andras Janota.

      I later found out that their parents did not marry for approximately fourteen
      years after the birth of their first child (Andras). How common was this
      lengthy engagement and what might have caused it? It was allegedly a "family
      secret." The time period would have been around 1885.

      I have not been able to obtain INS papers regarding my grandfather yet, but
      his brother's citizenship papers place him in Ploske and Varhanovce,
      Slovakia. There are two Ploskes in Slovakia, and I suspect that their family
      has come from the smaller Ploske which is not two miles from Varhanovce.

      I have poured over the microfilms from the Family History Center, but I have
      not found either Stefko or Janota, realizing that there may be another
      spelling. Could anyone perhaps point me in the direction where I may obtain
      some further information?

      Thank you,
      Dawn Stefko Chappell

    • John
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 25, 2002
        At 11:48 PM 1/25/02 -0500, you wrote:
        >I have not been able to obtain INS papers regarding my grandfather yet, but
        >his brother's citizenship papers place him in Ploske and Varhanovce,
        >Slovakia. There are two Ploskes in Slovakia, and I suspect that their family
        >has come from the smaller Ploske which is not two miles from Varhanovce.

        The distance looks more like 6 miles by road (3 miles to the north and then
        3 miles to the east)

        There are 3 S^tefko (Shtefko) listed for Varhanovce in the SK phone directory:

        Alena Štefková Varhanovce
        Anna Štefková Varhanovce
        Ján Štefko Varhanovce

        >I have poured over the microfilms from the Family History Center, but I
        >have not found either Stefko or Janota, realizing that there may be
        >another spelling. Could anyone perhaps point me in the direction where I
        >may obtain some further information?

        Were you looking at the Greek Catholic microfilms for Varhanovce? I
        believe the Roman Catholic registers are located in Brestov. Sometimes it
        pays to look at both.

        I found one case of a 2 year difference between the birth of a child and
        the parents marrying in my tree.

        John
      • frankly1us
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 26, 2002
          --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@y..., deschappell@c... wrote:
          > I have been reading e-mail from this group for several weeks and have fou=
          nd
          > the information extremely beneficial. Thank you for your thorough
          > explanations as I have learned much.
          >
          > I am looking for information on my grandfather John Stefko (b1897), or an=
          > relation to him born in Slovakia. I suspect he may have been born under =
          the
          > name of Janos (?) Janota, since I have procured the citizenship papers of=
          his
          > older brother whose birth name was Andras Janota.
          >
          > I later found out that their parents did not marry for approximately four=
          teen
          > years after the birth of their first child (Andras). How common was this=

          > lengthy engagement and what might have caused it? It was allegedly a "fa=
          mily
          > secret." The time period would have been around 1885.
          >
          > I have not been able to obtain INS papers regarding my grandfather yet, b=
          ut
          > his brother's citizenship papers place him in Ploske and Varhanovce,
          > Slovakia. There are two Ploskes in Slovakia, and I suspect that their fa=
          mily
          > has come from the smaller Ploske which is not two miles from Varhanovce. =

          > I have poured over the microfilms from the Family History Center, but I h=
          ave
          > not found either Stefko or Janota, realizing that there may be another
          > spelling. Could anyone perhaps point me in the direction where I may obt=
          ain
          > some further information?
          >
          > Thank you,
          > Dawn Stefko Chappell

          You can find the surnames Stefka, Stefko, Stefkovic, Stefkovy in
          Slovakia.
          Whether these are variant surname spellings or related have no idea.

          The Ellis Island Records list 219 surname Stefko emigrated to U.S.
          1892-1924.
          A large clan, but from many places located in Central and Eastern Europe.

          This Ploské (Sv) was called Lapispatak in Hungarian.
          Varhan^ovce (Sk) was called Várgony in Hungarian.

          A Janos Stefko, age 24, emigrated in 1910 from Wargony.
          A Janos Stefko, age 3, emigrated in 1913 from Vargony.
          A Julia Stefko emigrated in 1913 from Vargony.
          Mother ?
          A Anna Stefko emigrated in 1924 from Varhanowce.
          (All are the same place name Varhan^ovce)
        • Milan Huba
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 27, 2002
            Regarding the long engagement, it could have been because of a military
            obligation. Every young man had a military obligation and the lower ranks
            were not allowed to get married until their active duty obligation was
            finished. This meant that many young men could not get married until they
            were approximately 28 years old.

            I read this somewhere long time ago andy my not