Hungarian Help needed

  • Andrea Vangor
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 26, 1999
      In the course of browsing through the baptism records for Rankovce in the
      18th century I found a part of the book where there appeared to be some
      other kind of list. The words used were Duchodek Roku -- come to think of
      it, that sounds more Slovak than Magyar. I tried to find it on the
      Hungarian Dictionary on-line page but no luck --- maybe it needs diacritical
      marks? I can try the Slovak Dictionary, but does anyone have a suggestion?
      There were columns of numbers and names.

      Thanks, Andrea
    • John Matsko
      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 26, 1999
        Duchodek Roku --

        My guess is it's the expiration date (year) of the person.

        John

      • MJESKO@xxxxx.xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx)
        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 26, 1999
          Hi again

          DUCHODEK ROKU may mean confirmation year.

          DUCH means spirit as in Holy Spirit and ROKU is a form of the word ROK
          or year.

          Will talk with my Slovak friends and see what they suggest.

          mark
        • Andrea Vangor
          Message 4 of 9 , Jun 26, 1999
            I think that is a very good guess. It was a list of names and numbers, in
            columns. I will look at it more carefully and see if that makes sense. It
            is interesting that the Lutheran pastor wrote that bit in Slovak when he was
            so careful to write everything else in church Latin or Hungarian. There are
            extended bits of commentary in the baptismal records here and there, as if
            some unusual situation required explanation, or perhaps because some local
            landowner or official had a baby and the names of the important people in
            attendance were recorded. Well, I just got my introductory Slovak textbook,
            so some of the fog will lift eventually.

            Andrea

            Message 5 of 9 , Jun 26, 1999
              Hi Andrea

              If the notes are in Hungarian, then the records are after 1850 or so.
              This was about the time that the Crown made Hungarian the official
              language of commerce and of recording all governmental procedures such
              as records of births, deaths, marriages etc.

              And the Hungarians wonder why we want Slovak the official language of
              commerce today!!!!

              mark
            • John Matsko
              Message 6 of 9 , Jun 26, 1999
                At 08:51 PM 6/26/99 -0400, you wrote:
                >From: MJESKO@... (mark JESKO)
                >
                >Hi again
                >
                >DUCHODEK ROKU may mean confirmation year.

                Mark,

                Confirmation in Slovak is "birmovanie". I thought it might have something to
                do with death registerations but that is "zomrel�i". It may have something to
                do with the clergy:

                Slovensky Anglicky

                duchovensk� cleric
                duchovensk� cleric
                duchovensk� cleric
                duchovenstvo clergy
                duchovenstvo sacerdocy
                duchovenstvo ministry
                duchovia angels
                duchovn� pastorate
                duchovn� cleric
                duchovn� mor�lka spirit

                Czech = English

                duchod = income
                duchod = pension
                duchod = rent
                duchod (rocni) = annuity
                duchod (starobni) = old-age pension
                duchod (starobni, GB) = old age pension
                duchod (statni) = revenue
                duchodce = annuitant
                duchodce (penzista) = pensionary
                duchodce (penzista) = pensioner
                duchodova dan = assessment on income
                duchodovy urad = revenue
                duchody (penezni) = monetary incomes
                duchovensky = clerical
                duchovensky = ecclesiastical
                duchovenstvo = clergy
                duchovenstvo = ministry
                duchovni = Reverend
                duchovni = ecclesiastic
                duchovni = inward
                duchovni = priest
                duchovni = spiritual
                duchovni (hovor.) = parson
                duchovni (knez) = divine
                duchovni (nab.) = ghostly
                duchovni (nejnizsi, anglikansky, GB = deacon
                duchovni (obycejne anglikansky) = clergyman
                duchovni (presbytarianske neb nekon = minister
                duchovni (zkr.) = Rev. (Reverend)
                duchovni pece = cure
                duchovni urad = ministry
                duchovno = spirituality
                duchovnost = inwardness
                duchovnost = spirituality
                duchovy (netelesny) = unbodied
                duchovy (strasidelny) = spectral

                John

                Message 7 of 9 , Jun 26, 1999
                  No, the records are from the 18th century. They are mostly in Latin but I
                  thought that I saw some Hungarian here and there, where the pastor wrote a
                  longer note about something. There are also bits of Slovak. I have a lot
                  more work to do on this microfilm so I can write down some of the text bits.

                  > If the notes are in Hungarian, then the records are after 1850 or so.
                  > This was about the time that the Crown made Hungarian the official
                  > language of commerce and of recording all governmental procedures such
                  > as records of births, deaths, marriages etc.
                  >
                  > And the Hungarians wonder why we want Slovak the official language of
                  > commerce today!!!!
                  >
                  > mark

                  > Who is the most visited e-mail list community Web Service?
                  > http://www.onelist.com
                  > ONElist.com - where more than 20 million e-mails are exchanged each day!

                • Joe Armata
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jun 28, 1999
                    About Duchodek Roku - today it's spelled Do~chodok Roku (an upside-
                    down v over the first o), meaning "Income for the Year". Who
                    gave how much to the church - I hope your ancestors come out OK! :^)

                    Joe Armata
                    joe@...

                    Message 9 of 9 , Jun 28, 1999
                      At 08:55 AM 6/28/99 -0500, you wrote:
                      >From: "Joe Armata" <JOE@...>
                      >
                      >About Duchodek Roku - today it's spelled Do~chodok Roku (an upside-
                      >down v over the first o), meaning "Income for the Year". Who
                      >gave how much to the church - I hope your ancestors come out OK! :^)

                      Hi Joe,

                      Thanks for the definition. I wondered if it had something to do with it after
                      finding the following in a Czech on-line dictionary:

                      duchod = income
                      duchod = pension
                      duchod = rent
                      duchod (rocni) = annuity