Re: [S-R] Czech vs. Slovak

  • Jozef Riskalcik
    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 24, 2002
      hi Chris,

      slovak and czech languages are as close as American English and British English,
      but there are many different words and gramatics features.

      but it depend of you which language you want to learn, if you are going to go to the Slovakia,
      it's better to learn slovak language.

      I recommend you to choose language which speak your friends or relatives :-)
      They help you to learn.

      If you looking for slovak or czech audios, you can try real audio.
      I recommend you:
      www.twist.sk - mews, fun... real audio and download audio files
      www.slovakradio.sk - slovak state radios - http://www.slovakradio.sk/rsi/index.html - there you
      can find short wave broadcasting in America too

      www.mesto.sk - slovak towns and cities

      internet portals -Slovakia:
      www.zoznam.sk
      www.superzoznam.sk or www.szm.sk
      www.atlas.sk
      www.centrum.cz

      internet portals -Czech:
      www.seznam.cz
      www.centrum.cz
      www.atlas.cz

      Slovak book shop:
      www.dunaj.sk (Dunaj - the river -Danube :-)

      Czech book shop:
      www.vltava.cz

      but I don't know if they have delivery to the USA.

      If you want I can help you to obtain slovak books or audios, because I am slovak inhabitant and I
      live in Bratislava (capital city of Slovakia). Write directly to mail email: riskalcik@...

      joseph

      --- PopeBela@... wrote:

      > Hi List,
      >
      > Just how close are the languages of Czech and Slovak?
      >
      > I may be visiting Slovakia next fall and would like to learn the language.
      > While I can find Slovak-English dictionaries and grammar books, I can't find
      > an
      > audio cassette or CD of Slovak. No luck on Amazon.com either!
      >
      > So, since I can't find any Slovak-audio, could I substitute a Czech CD/tape
      > if the languages are close enough?
      >
      > Thanks for any insight!
      > Chris

      =====

      http://auctions.yahoo.com
    • Milan Huba
      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 24, 2002
        Some people will tell you that Czech and Slovak are almost the same. Most
        Slovaks who live in Slovakia understand the Czech language because half of
        the radio and later TV programs were in the Czech language. But, as a
        person who grew up hearing and speaking only Slovak, I have a great deal of
        difficulty understanding Czech. As a matter of fact, I find it easier to
        understand Polish than Czech.

        There are plenty of Slovak language tapes available. Go on google.com and
        search for Slovak Language tapes.

        Milan Huba

        Message 3 of 11 , Jan 24, 2002
          Thank you for your information> If you could step back in time 1830's and you
          lived in or near Reichenberg, which at that time was considered Bohemia, what
          language would you have spoken? Would it be the same as what you described?
          Ray
        • frankly1us
          Message 4 of 11 , Jan 25, 2002
            --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@y..., "Milan Huba" <illy@f...> wrote:
            > Some people will tell you that Czech and Slovak are almost the same. Mos=
            > Slovaks who live in Slovakia understand the Czech language because half o=
            > the radio and later TV programs were in the Czech language. But, as a
            > person who grew up hearing and speaking only Slovak, I have a great deal =
            of
            > difficulty understanding Czech. As a matter of fact, I find it easier to
            > understand Polish than Czech.
            >
            > There are plenty of Slovak language tapes available. Go on google.com an=
            > search for Slovak Language tapes.
            >
            > Milan Huba

            Subject: Are Slovak and Czech different ?
            It was addressed in this forum back in July 2001.

            Czech is a Slavic (or Slavonic) language belonging to
            a group of West Slavic languages which include Polish,
            Slovak, Sorbian (Saxony, Germany), and Polabian, now
            extinct.

            The Slavic languages are more similar to each other
            than are the Romance languages, especiallyin respect
            to their basic lexicons, phonologies and morphological
            structures.
            Czech and Slovak are very similar and mutually intelligible.

            Czech dialects are generally divided into four major groups:
            Bohemian, Central Moravian, Eastern Moravian or Moravian Slovak,
            and Silesian (Lach).
            The Prague dialect is the basis for standard written Czech,
            also known as Standard or Literary Czech.
            The colloquial spoken form of the language is called Common Czech.
            It is rooted in Central Bohemia but is spoken beyond this traditional
            area.
            Local dialect differences are increasingly subsumed by Common Czech,
            which is itself influenced by local dialect differences.
            The Eastern Moravian dialect is a transitional dialect between Czech
            and Slovak.
            The dialects are all mutually intelligible.
            Bohemian forms of Czech are fairly uniform with greater diversity in
            Bohemia; Silesian dialects are most diverse and some grade into Polish.
            Czech has borrowed extensively from German.

            Modern Standard Czech is the language of publication, education, and
            cultivated speech, but it exists alongside Common Czech, a sixteenth
            century development that in some cases rivals the standard.

            Both Czech and Slovak descend from "Middle Czech," which was spoken in
            fifteenth and sixteenth centuries, and ultimately from "Old Czech,"
            which dates back to the eleventh century.
            Although Czech and Slovak are closely related, they are considered
            distinct languages -- a result of their political and linguistic heritage.
            For example, the German influence on Czech, seen in the substantial number =
            of loan words from German, derives from the period when Austria dominated Bo=
            hemia and Moravia.
            Slovak, on the other hand, shows signs of Hungarian influence, due to
            political domination by the Hungarian Empire.

            Czech is the offical language of the Czech Republic, spoken
            by virtually the entire population of 10 million people.
            It is closely related to Slovak, spoken in Slovakia, the two
            languages in fact being mutually intelligible.

            Slavic as a branch of the Indo-European family of languages,
            is usually divided into East Slavic, West Slavic, and South Slavic.

            East Slavic (Russian, Ukrainian, Byelorussian)
            West Slavic (Polish, Czech, Slovak, Sorbian)
            South Slavic (Serbo-Croatian, Slovenian, Macedonian, Bulgarian,
            Old Church Slavonic)

            Czech is a Slavic language written in the Roman script. The
            foundations of the alphabet were laid by the great religious
            reformer Jan Hus, in the early 15th century. The letters q, w,
            and x are missing, while c is pronounced ts (e.g.,cena—price),
            ch as in German (kachna—duck), and j as y (jazyk—language).
            Acute accents lengthen the vowels (kámen—stone), while a circle
            over the u produces a long oo sound (dum—house).
            The chevron (carat) over c, s, and z produces ch, sh, and zh
            respectively (cislo—number, kos—basket, zivot—life).
            But n is pro-nounced ny as in "canyon" (dan—tax), e is pronounced
            ye (mesto—city), and r is pronounced rzh, as in the name Dvorak.
            The letter r serves as a vowel, producing such strange-looking
            words as krk (neck), smrt (death), and (ivri (quarter).
            Czech language doesn't like to use many vowels.
            One Czech phrase is 'strc^ prst skrz krk' = stick your
            finger through your throat. (Now that's hard to do ! Joke)

            Czech alphabet uses certain diacritics : A~á,C^c^,D^d^,E~é,
            E^e^, I'í, N^n^, O'ó, R^r^, S^s^, T^t', U'ú, U~u~, Y'y', Z^z^.
            (As you can see except for certain ASCII equivalents below you
            need to use Czech fonts and KB to replicate these diacritics)

            So Czech and Slovak are both West Slavic languages.

            Czech language doesn't like to use many vowels.
            One Czech phrase is 'strc^ prst skrz krk' = stick your
            finger through your throat. Now that's hard ! :-)

            Slovak has some features that distinguish it from Czech.
            43 letters of Slovak language are pronounced similarily
            to those of Czech 40 letters.
            Slovak has a flat vowel ä (Slovak pät=Czech pe^t, 'five)
            a palatized l [written l'](Slovak majitel'a vs. Czech
            majitele)
            Slovak uses diphthongs ia, ie, io, iu, and Czech doesn't.
            (Slovak zamestnanie vs. Czech zame^stnáni = employment)

            Slovak uses dz and dz^ and does not have the Czech r^
            (pron. rzh)[Slovak u'rad vs. Czech ur^ad =office]

            Czech alphabet uses certain diacritics : A~á,C^c^,D^d^,E~é,
            E^e^, I'í, N^n^, O'ó, R^r^, S^s^, T^t', U'ú, U~u~, Y'y', Z^z^.
            (As you can see except for certain ASCII equivalents you
            need to use Czech fonts and KB to replicate these diacritics)

            But Czech spelling is among the most phonetic of all European
            languages.
            However, Czech spelling in the past differed quite a bit from
            modern pratctice. Present day diacritical marks were introduced
            about 1820. In the past a different system was used similar to
            current Hungarian and Polish practices. For example, 'ch' was
            'cz', 'v' was 'w', and 'sh' was 'sch'.

            The main reason the spelling of Czech surnames varies was the
            conversion of the Czech letters with diacritical marks into
            German i.e. Dvorak - Dvorschak.
            When the Czech immigrants moved to America they often dropped
            the diacritics to reflect the actual pronunciation (i.e.Nemetz,
            for Nemec), or retained the German spelling (i.e.Swoboda, for
            Svoboda).

            You can use ASCII characters only so far, and for e-mail, Netscape
            automatically converts Central European (Win1250) to ISO-8859-2
            (Internet) before sending. You must use what your correspondents
            are using and most are using nothing !
            MS Internet Explorer is suppose to be multi-lingual but it isn't.

            Accent Marks ?

            [Slovak diacritical marks c^,s^, z^, n^ can't be reproduced in
            ASCII]
            ('caret' should appear inverted above the letter, not next to
            letter as above) This mark is called a mäc^en^ = 'softener' in Slovak.
            Many use ~ or just ' to represent diacritics.

            Slovak alphabet uses certain diacritics : A'á; Ä,ä ; C~,c~; D~,d';
            É,é;I',í; L',l'; L`,l`; N~,n~ ; O',ó; O~,ô; ,R,'r'; S~,s~; T~,t'; U',ú
            ; Y',y'; Z~`,z~.
            A few marks can be made using extended ASCII code, but most require Slovak =
            fonts and a Slovak keyboard.

            Hác~ek in Czech (literally "little hook")

            the two dots over a are called dve bodky = two dots (ä = s~iroké ä or
            'wide ä and pron. same as e )

            the dl'zen~ = prolonger is called dlz~en~ = long sign (as in á)

            makc~en is called mäkc~en~ = soft sound (c~,D~/d')

            vokán~ = cicumflex (ô)

          • monica wentworth
            Message 5 of 11 , Jan 28, 2002
              I thought these languages were as close as Italian and Spanish. But if they
              are as close and US english and Brit english that's pretty amazing.

            • Armata, Joseph R. (JArmata)
              Message 6 of 11 , Jan 28, 2002
                Here's a bit more input.

                I learned Slovak the hard way as an adult, and when I started trying to read
                Czech it was very very difficult. It seemed I had to look up every 3rd or
                4th word, and some sentences I had to read many times until I understood the
                syntax and could make sense of them. So from my perspective, the
                differences between them aren't trivial.

                A year or so ago I was talking with a Slovak visiting the US. He was in his
                40s and had grown up under Czechoslovakia, where he heard Czech all the time
                on TV and radio etc, and he understood it fine. But his young children who
                grew up under the Slovak Republic have not been exposed to Czech like he
                was, and he's amazed that they can't understand it. I think native Slovak
                speakers of middle age and older find Slovak and Czech so similar because
                they've grown up with both.

                Joe

                Message 7 of 11 , Jan 28, 2002
                  I not sure that I would agree that Czech and Slovak are as close as British
                  and American English. I have no problem speaking and understanding Slovak,
                  but have a great deal of difficulty understanding Czech. I have Slovak
                  relatives in Prague that I visit periodically. The Czechs there don't seem
                  to have any problem understanding my Slovak. I was told that they understood
                  Slovak because both languages were used on radio and TV. But, I haven't
                  been exposed to Czech so that when they talk to me in Czech, I understand
                  only about 50% of what they are saying.