RE: [S-R] Czech vs. Slovak

  • Gregory J. Kopchak
    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 23, 2002
      We have the Slovak set at

      http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1506126253

      There is a difference in the languages although they are related.

      Greg Kopchak
      It's All Relative

      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 23, 2002
        In a message dated 1/23/02 6:37:57 PM, PopeBela@... writes:

        << While I can find Slovak-English dictionaries and grammar books, I can't
        find
        an audio cassette or CD of Slovak. No luck on Amazon.com either! >>

        On October 30, 2001 I placed the following order with Amazon.com. And I
        received delivery of the item.
        It consists of two (2) audio cassettes plus a book.

        1 "Colloquial Slovak : A Complete Language Course (Colloquial
        Series)" J. D. Naughton; Paperback; @ $31.50 each
        Usually available in 24 hours
      • Tbeiceman@aol.com
        Message 3 of 11 , Jan 23, 2002
          Hi,

          I'm sorry I can't give you the exact web site( I have the address
          somewhere,but a recent move of residence and I can't locate too many things)
          But- try contacting the First Catholic Slovak Union (Jednota). It is in PA
          near Camp Hill, Pa

          Good luck.

          Theresa

        • Jozef Riskalcik
          Message 4 of 11 , Jan 24, 2002
            hi Chris,

            slovak and czech languages are as close as American English and British English,
            but there are many different words and gramatics features.

            but it depend of you which language you want to learn, if you are going to go to the Slovakia,
            it's better to learn slovak language.

            I recommend you to choose language which speak your friends or relatives :-)
            They help you to learn.

            If you looking for slovak or czech audios, you can try real audio.
            I recommend you:
            www.twist.sk - mews, fun... real audio and download audio files
            www.slovakradio.sk - slovak state radios - http://www.slovakradio.sk/rsi/index.html - there you
            can find short wave broadcasting in America too

            www.mesto.sk - slovak towns and cities

            internet portals -Slovakia:
            www.zoznam.sk
            www.superzoznam.sk or www.szm.sk
            www.atlas.sk
            www.centrum.cz

            internet portals -Czech:
            www.seznam.cz
            www.centrum.cz
            www.atlas.cz

            Slovak book shop:
            www.dunaj.sk (Dunaj - the river -Danube :-)

            Czech book shop:
            www.vltava.cz

            but I don't know if they have delivery to the USA.

            If you want I can help you to obtain slovak books or audios, because I am slovak inhabitant and I
            live in Bratislava (capital city of Slovakia). Write directly to mail email: riskalcik@...

            joseph

            --- PopeBela@... wrote:

            > Hi List,
            >
            > Just how close are the languages of Czech and Slovak?
            >
            > I may be visiting Slovakia next fall and would like to learn the language.
            > While I can find Slovak-English dictionaries and grammar books, I can't find
            > an
            > audio cassette or CD of Slovak. No luck on Amazon.com either!
            >
            > So, since I can't find any Slovak-audio, could I substitute a Czech CD/tape
            > if the languages are close enough?
            >
            > Thanks for any insight!
            > Chris

            =====

            http://auctions.yahoo.com
          • Milan Huba
            Message 5 of 11 , Jan 24, 2002
              Some people will tell you that Czech and Slovak are almost the same. Most
              Slovaks who live in Slovakia understand the Czech language because half of
              the radio and later TV programs were in the Czech language. But, as a
              person who grew up hearing and speaking only Slovak, I have a great deal of
              difficulty understanding Czech. As a matter of fact, I find it easier to
              understand Polish than Czech.

              There are plenty of Slovak language tapes available. Go on google.com and
              search for Slovak Language tapes.

              Milan Huba

              Message 6 of 11 , Jan 24, 2002
                Thank you for your information> If you could step back in time 1830's and you
                lived in or near Reichenberg, which at that time was considered Bohemia, what
                language would you have spoken? Would it be the same as what you described?
                Ray
              • frankly1us
                Message 7 of 11 , Jan 25, 2002
                  --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@y..., "Milan Huba" <illy@f...> wrote:
                  > Some people will tell you that Czech and Slovak are almost the same. Mos=
                  > Slovaks who live in Slovakia understand the Czech language because half o=
                  > the radio and later TV programs were in the Czech language. But, as a
                  > person who grew up hearing and speaking only Slovak, I have a great deal =
                  of
                  > difficulty understanding Czech. As a matter of fact, I find it easier to
                  > understand Polish than Czech.
                  >
                  > There are plenty of Slovak language tapes available. Go on google.com an=
                  > search for Slovak Language tapes.
                  >
                  > Milan Huba

                  Subject: Are Slovak and Czech different ?
                  It was addressed in this forum back in July 2001.

                  Czech is a Slavic (or Slavonic) language belonging to
                  a group of West Slavic languages which include Polish,
                  Slovak, Sorbian (Saxony, Germany), and Polabian, now
                  extinct.

                  The Slavic languages are more similar to each other
                  than are the Romance languages, especiallyin respect
                  to their basic lexicons, phonologies and morphological
                  structures.
                  Czech and Slovak are very similar and mutually intelligible.

                  Czech dialects are generally divided into four major groups:
                  Bohemian, Central Moravian, Eastern Moravian or Moravian Slovak,
                  and Silesian (Lach).
                  The Prague dialect is the basis for standard written Czech,
                  also known as Standard or Literary Czech.
                  The colloquial spoken form of the language is called Common Czech.
                  It is rooted in Central Bohemia but is spoken beyond this traditional
                  area.
                  Local dialect differences are increasingly subsumed by Common Czech,
                  which is itself influenced by local dialect differences.
                  The Eastern Moravian dialect is a transitional dialect between Czech
                  and Slovak.
                  The dialects are all mutually intelligible.
                  Bohemian forms of Czech are fairly uniform with greater diversity in
                  Bohemia; Silesian dialects are most diverse and some grade into Polish.
                  Czech has borrowed extensively from German.

                  Modern Standard Czech is the language of publication, education, and
                  cultivated speech, but it exists alongside Common Czech, a sixteenth
                  century development that in some cases rivals the standard.

                  Both Czech and Slovak descend from "Middle Czech," which was spoken in
                  fifteenth and sixteenth centuries, and ultimately from "Old Czech,"
                  which dates back to the eleventh century.
                  Although Czech and Slovak are closely related, they are considered
                  distinct languages -- a result of their political and linguistic heritage.
                  For example, the German influence on Czech, seen in the substantial number =
                  of loan words from German, derives from the period when Austria dominated Bo=
                  hemia and Moravia.
                  Slovak, on the other hand, shows signs of Hungarian influence, due to
                  political domination by the Hungarian Empire.

                  Czech is the offical language of the Czech Republic, spoken
                  by virtually the entire population of 10 million people.
                  It is closely related to Slovak, spoken in Slovakia, the two
                  languages in fact being mutually intelligible.

                  Slavic as a branch of the Indo-European family of languages,
                  is usually divided into East Slavic, West Slavic, and South Slavic.

                  East Slavic (Russian, Ukrainian, Byelorussian)
                  West Slavic (Polish, Czech, Slovak, Sorbian)
                  South Slavic (Serbo-Croatian, Slovenian, Macedonian, Bulgarian,
                  Old Church Slavonic)

                  Czech is a Slavic language written in the Roman script. The
                  foundations of the alphabet were laid by the great religious
                  reformer Jan Hus, in the early 15th century. The letters q, w,
                  and x are missing, while c is pronounced ts (e.g.,cena—price),
                  ch as in German (kachna—duck), and j as y (jazyk—language).
                  Acute accents lengthen the vowels (kámen—stone), while a circle
                  over the u produces a long oo sound (dum—house).
                  The chevron (carat) over c, s, and z produces ch, sh, and zh
                  respectively (cislo—number, kos—basket, zivot—life).
                  But n is pro-nounced ny as in "canyon" (dan—tax), e is pronounced
                  ye (mesto—city), and r is pronounced rzh, as in the name Dvorak.
                  The letter r serves as a vowel, producing such strange-looking
                  words as krk (neck), smrt (death), and (ivri (quarter).
                  Czech language doesn't like to use many vowels.
                  One Czech phrase is 'strc^ prst skrz krk' = stick your
                  finger through your throat. (Now that's hard to do ! Joke)

                  Czech alphabet uses certain diacritics : A~á,C^c^,D^d^,E~é,
                  E^e^, I'í, N^n^, O'ó, R^r^, S^s^, T^t', U'ú, U~u~, Y'y', Z^z^.
                  (As you can see except for certain ASCII equivalents below you
                  need to use Czech fonts and KB to replicate these diacritics)

                  So Czech and Slovak are both West Slavic languages.

                  Czech language doesn't like to use many vowels.
                  One Czech phrase is 'strc^ prst skrz krk' = stick your
                  finger through your throat. Now that's hard ! :-)

                  Slovak has some features that distinguish it from Czech.
                  43 letters of Slovak language are pronounced similarily
                  to those of Czech 40 letters.
                  Slovak has a flat vowel ä (Slovak pät=Czech pe^t, 'five)
                  a palatized l [written l'](Slovak majitel'a vs. Czech
                  majitele)
                  Slovak uses diphthongs ia, ie, io, iu, and Czech doesn't.
                  (Slovak zamestnanie vs. Czech zame^stnáni = employment)

                  Slovak uses dz and dz^ and does not have the Czech r^
                  (pron. rzh)[Slovak u'rad vs. Czech ur^ad =office]

                  Czech alphabet uses certain diacritics : A~á,C^c^,D^d^,E~é,
                  E^e^, I'í, N^n^, O'ó, R^r^, S^s^, T^t', U'ú, U~u~, Y'y', Z^z^.
                  (As you can see except for certain ASCII equivalents you
                  need to use Czech fonts and KB to replicate these diacritics)

                  But Czech spelling is among the most phonetic of all European
                  languages.
                  However, Czech spelling in the past differed quite a bit from
                  modern pratctice. Present day diacritical marks were introduced
                  about 1820. In the past a different system was used similar to
                  current Hungarian and Polish practices. For example, 'ch' was
                  'cz', 'v' was 'w', and 'sh' was 'sch'.

                  The main reason the spelling of Czech surnames varies was the
                  conversion of the Czech letters with diacritical marks into
                  German i.e. Dvorak - Dvorschak.
                  When the Czech immigrants moved to America they often dropped
                  the diacritics to reflect the actual pronunciation (i.e.Nemetz,
                  for Nemec), or retained the German spelling (i.e.Swoboda, for
                  Svoboda).

                  You can use ASCII characters only so far, and for e-mail, Netscape
                  automatically converts Central European (Win1250) to ISO-8859-2
                  (Internet) before sending. You must use what your correspondents
                  are using and most are using nothing !
                  MS Internet Explorer is suppose to be multi-lingual but it isn't.

                  Accent Marks ?

                  [Slovak diacritical marks c^,s^, z^, n^ can't be reproduced in
                  ASCII]
                  ('caret' should appear inverted above the letter, not next to
                  letter as above) This mark is called a mäc^en^ = 'softener' in Slovak.
                  Many use ~ or just ' to represent diacritics.

                  Slovak alphabet uses certain diacritics : A'á; Ä,ä ; C~,c~; D~,d';
                  É,é;I',í; L',l'; L`,l`; N~,n~ ; O',ó; O~,ô; ,R,'r'; S~,s~; T~,t'; U',ú
                  ; Y',y'; Z~`,z~.
                  A few marks can be made using extended ASCII code, but most require Slovak =
                  fonts and a Slovak keyboard.

                  Hác~ek in Czech (literally "little hook")

                  the two dots over a are called dve bodky = two dots (ä = s~iroké ä or
                  'wide ä and pron. same as e )

                  the dl'zen~ = prolonger is called dlz~en~ = long sign (as in á)

                  makc~en is called mäkc~en~ = soft sound (c~,D~/d')

                  vokán~ = cicumflex (ô)

                • monica wentworth
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jan 28, 2002
                    I thought these languages were as close as Italian and Spanish. But if they
                    are as close and US english and Brit english that's pretty amazing.

                  • Armata, Joseph R. (JArmata)
                    Message 9 of 11 , Jan 28, 2002
                      Here's a bit more input.

                      I learned Slovak the hard way as an adult, and when I started trying to read
                      Czech it was very very difficult. It seemed I had to look up every 3rd or
                      4th word, and some sentences I had to read many times until I understood the
                      syntax and could make sense of them. So from my perspective, the
                      differences between them aren't trivial.

                      A year or so ago I was talking with a Slovak visiting the US. He was in his
                      40s and had grown up under Czechoslovakia, where he heard Czech all the time
                      on TV and radio etc, and he understood it fine. But his young children who
                      grew up under the Slovak Republic have not been exposed to Czech like he
                      was, and he's amazed that they can't understand it. I think native Slovak
                      speakers of middle age and older find Slovak and Czech so similar because
                      they've grown up with both.

                      Joe

                      Message 10 of 11 , Jan 28, 2002
                        I not sure that I would agree that Czech and Slovak are as close as British
                        and American English. I have no problem speaking and understanding Slovak,
                        but have a great deal of difficulty understanding Czech. I have Slovak
                        relatives in Prague that I visit periodically. The Czechs there don't seem
                        to have any problem understanding my Slovak. I was told that they understood
                        Slovak because both languages were used on radio and TV. But, I haven't
                        been exposed to Czech so that when they talk to me in Czech, I understand
                        only about 50% of what they are saying.