Re: SOPKO & MAZUR & BALUCH

  • frankly1us
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 13, 2002
      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@y..., "lookingformore" <mikeandcindy@a...> wrote:
      > HI,
      > Researching the following names:
      >
      > Michael Stephen Sopko, born 27 September 1881 in Czechoslovakia;
      > died 5 December 1945 in Cleveland, Cuyahoga, OH. He was the son of
      > 8. Mike Sopko and 9. Ann Baluch. He married 5. Mary C. Mazur.
      >
      > 5. Mary C. Mazur, born 29 September 1885 in Bohemia; died 22
      > October 1967 in Newburgh Hts., Cuyahoga, OH. She was the daughter
      > of 10. Stephan Mazur.
      >
      > Child of Mike Sopko and Ann Baluch is:
      >
      > 4 i. Michael Stephen Sopko, born 27
      > September 1881 in Czechoslovakia; died 5 December 1945 in 5615 Grand
      > Ave, Cleveland, Cuyahoga, OH; married Mary C. Mazur.
      >

      > We know that they lived in Pennsylvania, in Star Junction, Fayette
      > County in 1906 when their first child was born and they later moved
      > to Cleveland, Ohio.
      >

      > Cindy
      >
      > Thanks!

      Probably

      1000-1500 surnames Sopko just in the U.S.
      120-180 surnames Baluch just in the U.S.
      5000-7500 surnames Mazur just in the U.S.

      Czech or Slovak ethnicity ?
      Surname religion ?

      Czech-Bohemia (including Moravia 1849-1918) was a kingdom
      (10th century-1918) and part of Austro-Hungarian Monarchy (1867-1918)
      It was an Austrian Kronland (province)

      Before WWI, Slovakia was part of Upper-Hungary (Felvidék) and
      part of Austro-Hungarian Monarchy (1867-1918) and earlier the
      Austrian Empire.

      In 1920, a newly-formed country of Czechoslovakia was created from the
      Austrian Crownlands (Bohemia, Moravia and Austrian-Silesia) and a
      portion of Upper-Hungary (Slovakia and Karpatho-Ukraine).

      (Until this time there was no country called "Czechoslovakia")

      Post-emigration surname information is of little value without clue
      to surname village/town of origin in Europe ?

      Surname listing in Passenger Lists ?
      Naturalization papers ?
      Family history ?
      Copy of surname Social Security application form SS-5 ?

      Surnames spoke what language ?

      How are you ? English

      Wie geht es Ihnen ? German

      Hogy Van ? Hungarian