SOPKO & MAZUR & BALUCH

  • lookingformore
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 12, 2002
      HI,
      Researching the following names:

      Michael Stephen Sopko, born 27 September 1881 in Czechoslovakia;
      died 5 December 1945 in Cleveland, Cuyahoga, OH. He was the son of
      8. Mike Sopko and 9. Ann Baluch. He married 5. Mary C. Mazur.

      5. Mary C. Mazur, born 29 September 1885 in Bohemia; died 22
      October 1967 in Newburgh Hts., Cuyahoga, OH. She was the daughter
      of 10. Stephan Mazur.

      Child of Mike Sopko and Ann Baluch is:

      4 i. Michael Stephen Sopko, born 27
      September 1881 in Czechoslovakia; died 5 December 1945 in 5615 Grand
      Ave, Cleveland, Cuyahoga, OH; married Mary C. Mazur.

      We know that they lived in Pennsylvania, in Star Junction, Fayette
      County in 1906 when their first child was born and they later moved
      to Cleveland, Ohio.

      Cindy

      Thanks!
    • frankly1us
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 13, 2002
        --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@y..., "lookingformore" <mikeandcindy@a...> wrote:
        > HI,
        > Researching the following names:
        >
        > Michael Stephen Sopko, born 27 September 1881 in Czechoslovakia;
        > died 5 December 1945 in Cleveland, Cuyahoga, OH. He was the son of
        > 8. Mike Sopko and 9. Ann Baluch. He married 5. Mary C. Mazur.
        >
        > 5. Mary C. Mazur, born 29 September 1885 in Bohemia; died 22
        > October 1967 in Newburgh Hts., Cuyahoga, OH. She was the daughter
        > of 10. Stephan Mazur.
        >
        > Child of Mike Sopko and Ann Baluch is:
        >
        > 4 i. Michael Stephen Sopko, born 27
        > September 1881 in Czechoslovakia; died 5 December 1945 in 5615 Grand
        > Ave, Cleveland, Cuyahoga, OH; married Mary C. Mazur.
        >

        > We know that they lived in Pennsylvania, in Star Junction, Fayette
        > County in 1906 when their first child was born and they later moved
        > to Cleveland, Ohio.
        >

        > Cindy
        >
        > Thanks!

        Probably

        1000-1500 surnames Sopko just in the U.S.
        120-180 surnames Baluch just in the U.S.
        5000-7500 surnames Mazur just in the U.S.

        Czech or Slovak ethnicity ?
        Surname religion ?

        Czech-Bohemia (including Moravia 1849-1918) was a kingdom
        (10th century-1918) and part of Austro-Hungarian Monarchy (1867-1918)
        It was an Austrian Kronland (province)

        Before WWI, Slovakia was part of Upper-Hungary (Felvidék) and
        part of Austro-Hungarian Monarchy (1867-1918) and earlier the
        Austrian Empire.

        In 1920, a newly-formed country of Czechoslovakia was created from the
        Austrian Crownlands (Bohemia, Moravia and Austrian-Silesia) and a
        portion of Upper-Hungary (Slovakia and Karpatho-Ukraine).

        (Until this time there was no country called "Czechoslovakia")

        Post-emigration surname information is of little value without clue
        to surname village/town of origin in Europe ?

        Surname listing in Passenger Lists ?
        Naturalization papers ?
        Family history ?
        Copy of surname Social Security application form SS-5 ?

        Surnames spoke what language ?

        How are you ? English

        Wie geht es Ihnen ? German

        Hogy Van ? Hungarian