Re: [S-R] Padina area families--Babuchna, Durgala, Dubovski +

  • frankly1us
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 30, 2001
      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@y..., John <jmatsko4@h...> wrote:
      > At 11:08 PM 12/29/01 +0000, you wrote:
      > >Don't know your surnames, however...
      > >
      > >Padina is located 22 miles NNE of Beograd (Belgrade), Serbia
      > >(all that is left of former Yugoslavia)
      > >Before WW I, Nagylajosfalva (meaning large + Louis's + village in Magya=
      > >was located north of Beograd in Torontál megye(county), Hungary.
      > >

      > >NATO and American airforces bombed Serbia in the 1990s.
      > >
      > >How are you ? English
      > >
      > >Ako sa más^ ? Slovak
      > >
      > >Kako ste ? Croatian/Slovene (Roman)
      > >
      > >K A K C T E ? Serbian/Bulgarian/Macedonian (Cyrillic)
      > >k ah k s t eh)
      > >
      > >K A K D E J| A' ? Russian (Cyrillic)
      > >(k ah k dy e l a )
      > Frank, is there a reference book that gives the names of the villages in =

      > Hungary over the past couple of centuries?
      > In regard to the Russian greeting, K-ah-k po-zhi-vy-esh (phonetically)
      > would be "How are you?" and K-ah-k dy-e-la would be "How's
      > business?". I'm sure it's usage has given it essentially the same
      > meaning. I was told the Russian dandies of the early 20th century replie=
      > to "Kak dyela" with "Kak sa-zh-a bi-ye-la". Translated it would be:
      > "How's business?" and the reply "Like soot is white".
      > Which reminds me of the one about two gentlemen sitting on a park bench i=
      > NYC talking. After about an hour one says to the other "You never asked =
      > how's business?". The other then asks "How's business?". The first
      > replies "Don't ask.".
      > John

      There are gazeteers that give names of villages over the centuries
      for Slovakia and available only in Slovakia.
      Some places had dozens or more different names over the years.
      Was OP and then updated was successful and all printings sold out
      in a week.
      Cheaper trade paperback versions were also available in Bratislava.

      Gazetteer by Milan Majté lists and indexes the communities with
      their German, Hungarian, Slovak, Czech, Polish....names.
      The Mormons have microfilmed this book.
      Periodically new revised editions have been published.
      It cost less than $10CDN in Slovakia

      Nézy obcí na Slovensku za ostantych dvesto rokov (Place names in
      Slovakia during the past 200 years) by Milan Majtén.

      Or, titled " Nazvy obci Slovenskej republiky: vyvin v rokoch 1773-1997 ". =

      "Names of settlements in Slovakia in last 200 years".

      For example,Bardejov:

      1773 Bartpha, Bartfa, Bartfeldt, Bardiow, 1786 Bartfeld, Bartfa,
      Bardejow, 1808 Bartpha, Bartfa, Bardiow, Bardejow, Bardiuv, 1863-1913
      Bartfa, 1920 Bardiov, 1927 Bardejov

      Or, Hungarian (János) Dvorzsák Gazetteer (1870) is available at LDS FHCs
      on microfilm film 599564 and on microfiche.

      There is Hungarian Village Finder by subscription.
      1 Full Year-- $29.95
      Haven't subscribed as yet.

      Dictionary of all villages in Slovakia with complete historic
      data and pictures with all the old and new names for all villages
      in current Slovakia from their first ever mention in written records.

      Sold by that old Slovakia genealogy fraud Vladimir Linder who always
      over-priced the books he sold.
      Now he has grandchildren and perhaps he wants to retire.
      His price for 3 volumes is US$ 675.00 (six hundred and seventy-five

      Formerly I used

      K A K B bI || O >|< |/| B A E T E ? Russian (Cyrillic)
      (k ah k v i p a zh i v a yet yeh)

      Russian linguists suggested I change it.

      How are things ?
      kak dyela ?

      What's new ?
      shto novava ?