Re: [S-R] Padina area families--Babuchna, Durgala, Dubovski +

  • savedbygrace1996
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 29, 2001
      Thanks for all the very interesting information. THe Babuchna's that
      you found on the ship manifest are mine. Mihaly was Maria's husband
      and Janos was my grandfather. Mihaly made several trips to the U.S
      before Maria and the children came to join him but I only found one
      in the Ellis Island records. His naturalization papers have him
      emmigrating to the U.S. in March of 1910 onboard the Campania.

      Maria was the Dubovsky and a Paul Durgala was suppose to be her first
      cousin. He had at least two children: Palko and Anka.

      Some of the family is under the impression that the Babuchna's
      originated in Siberia, Russia.

      I sure do appreciate all your input.
      Thanks,
      Tracy
    • frankly1us
      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 29, 2001
        --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@y..., "savedbygrace1996" <TracynPhillip@a...> wrote:
        > Thanks for all the very interesting information. THe Babuchna's that
        > you found on the ship manifest are mine. Mihaly was Maria's husband
        > and Janos was my grandfather. Mihaly made several trips to the U.S
        > before Maria and the children came to join him but I only found one
        > in the Ellis Island records. His naturalization papers have him
        > emmigrating to the U.S. in March of 1910 onboard the Campania.
        >
        > Maria was the Dubovsky and a Paul Durgala was suppose to be her first
        > cousin. He had at least two children: Palko and Anka.
        >
        > Some of the family is under the impression that the Babuchna's
        > originated in Siberia, Russia.
        >
        > I sure do appreciate all your input.
        > Thanks,
        > Tracy

        The surnames Babuchnová, Dubovsky/Dubovská, and Durgala/Durgalová
        appear in the Slovakia censuses.

        A Andras (Andrew) Babuchna, age 27, emigrated to U.S. in 1907 from
        Nagylajosfalva (Yugoslavia)

        Paul (E) = Palko (H)

        In Russian B A B U CH N A
        6 a 6 y h h a (Cyrillic)

        inverted

        If so, surname religion should have been Russian Orthodox ?

        Of 18 surname Durgala listed in EIR, most were from Pinczéd, Bács-
        Bodrog megye, Hungary now located in former Yugoslavia (Serbia)
        Serbians also use the Cyrillic alphabet.
        Village Names:

        German: Ludwigsdorf
        Official: Padina
        Hungarian: Nagylajosfalva

        Location:

        Country: Yugoslavia
        N from Pancevo
        Postal Code: 26215
        Railroad station:
        Filial parish of: Glogau, Seffkerin

        Population:

        1931: 32 Germans

        Location:

        Country: Yugoslavia
        near Hodschag
        Postal-Code:
        Railroad station:

        Population:

        1921: 4,861 (350)
        1910: 4,955 (309)
        1880: 4,421 (393)

        Genealogical Records:

        Village name in FHL records:
        Church records available at FHL:
        FHL Microfilm Nr.:
        FHL Census Microfilm: Pivnitza in 1828: 622967

        Miscellaneous:

        Bibliography
        Earliest Appearance in History: 1650
        Earliest German Settlement: Before 1900
        Churches: Greek Orthodox/Bács diocese, Evangelical Lutheran/Bánya dioc=
        ese
        District: 5 - Hodschag
        Records in Parabutsch since 1785
        Records before 1785 in Hodschag

        You had better read Donauschwaben (German) URL below for
        Bánát and Backa regions.

        http://www.genealogienetz.de/reg/ESE/dsbanat.html
      • John
        Message 3 of 9 , Dec 29, 2001
          At 11:08 PM 12/29/01 +0000, you wrote:
          >Don't know your surnames, however...
          >
          >Padina is located 22 miles NNE of Beograd (Belgrade), Serbia
          >(all that is left of former Yugoslavia)
          >Before WW I, Nagylajosfalva (meaning large + Louis's + village in Magyar)
          >was located north of Beograd in Torontál megye(county), Hungary.
          >

          >NATO and American airforces bombed Serbia in the 1990s.
          >
          >How are you ? English
          >
          >Ako sa más^ ? Slovak
          >
          >Kako ste ? Croatian/Slovene (Roman)
          >
          >K A K C T E ? Serbian/Bulgarian/Macedonian (Cyrillic)
          >k ah k s t eh)
          >
          >K A K D E J| A' ? Russian (Cyrillic)
          >(k ah k dy e l a )

          Frank, is there a reference book that gives the names of the villages in
          Hungary over the past couple of centuries?

          In regard to the Russian greeting, K-ah-k po-zhi-vy-esh (phonetically)
          would be "How are you?" and K-ah-k dy-e-la would be "How's
          business?". I'm sure it's usage has given it essentially the same
          meaning. I was told the Russian dandies of the early 20th century replied
          to "Kak dyela" with "Kak sa-zh-a bi-ye-la". Translated it would be:
          "How's business?" and the reply "Like soot is white".

          Which reminds me of the one about two gentlemen sitting on a park bench in
          NYC talking. After about an hour one says to the other "You never asked me
          how's business?". The other then asks "How's business?". The first
          replies "Don't ask.".

          John
        • frankly1us
          Message 4 of 9 , Dec 30, 2001
            --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@y..., John <jmatsko4@h...> wrote:
            > At 11:08 PM 12/29/01 +0000, you wrote:
            > >Don't know your surnames, however...
            > >
            > >Padina is located 22 miles NNE of Beograd (Belgrade), Serbia
            > >(all that is left of former Yugoslavia)
            > >Before WW I, Nagylajosfalva (meaning large + Louis's + village in Magya=
            r)
            > >was located north of Beograd in Torontál megye(county), Hungary.
            > >

            > >NATO and American airforces bombed Serbia in the 1990s.
            > >
            > >How are you ? English
            > >
            > >Ako sa más^ ? Slovak
            > >
            > >Kako ste ? Croatian/Slovene (Roman)
            > >
            > >K A K C T E ? Serbian/Bulgarian/Macedonian (Cyrillic)
            > >k ah k s t eh)
            > >
            > >K A K D E J| A' ? Russian (Cyrillic)
            > >(k ah k dy e l a )
            >
            > Frank, is there a reference book that gives the names of the villages in =

            > Hungary over the past couple of centuries?
            >
            > In regard to the Russian greeting, K-ah-k po-zhi-vy-esh (phonetically)
            > would be "How are you?" and K-ah-k dy-e-la would be "How's
            > business?". I'm sure it's usage has given it essentially the same
            > meaning. I was told the Russian dandies of the early 20th century replie=
            > to "Kak dyela" with "Kak sa-zh-a bi-ye-la". Translated it would be:
            > "How's business?" and the reply "Like soot is white".
            >
            > Which reminds me of the one about two gentlemen sitting on a park bench i=
            > NYC talking. After about an hour one says to the other "You never asked =
            me
            > how's business?". The other then asks "How's business?". The first
            > replies "Don't ask.".
            >
            > John

            There are gazeteers that give names of villages over the centuries
            for Slovakia and available only in Slovakia.
            Some places had dozens or more different names over the years.
            Was OP and then updated was successful and all printings sold out
            in a week.
            Cheaper trade paperback versions were also available in Bratislava.

            Gazetteer by Milan Majté lists and indexes the communities with
            their German, Hungarian, Slovak, Czech, Polish....names.
            The Mormons have microfilmed this book.
            Periodically new revised editions have been published.
            It cost less than $10CDN in Slovakia

            Nézy obcí na Slovensku za ostantych dvesto rokov (Place names in
            Slovakia during the past 200 years) by Milan Majtén.

            Or, titled " Nazvy obci Slovenskej republiky: vyvin v rokoch 1773-1997 ". =

            "Names of settlements in Slovakia in last 200 years".

            For example,Bardejov:

            1773 Bartpha, Bartfa, Bartfeldt, Bardiow, 1786 Bartfeld, Bartfa,
            Bardejow, 1808 Bartpha, Bartfa, Bardiow, Bardejow, Bardiuv, 1863-1913
            Bartfa, 1920 Bardiov, 1927 Bardejov

            Or, Hungarian (János) Dvorzsák Gazetteer (1870) is available at LDS FHCs
            on microfilm film 599564 and on microfiche.

            There is Hungarian Village Finder by subscription.
            1 Full Year-- $29.95
            Haven't subscribed as yet.

            http://hungarianvillagefinder.com/

            Then there is 3 Volume VLASTIVEDNY SLOVNIK OBCI NA SLOVENSKU
            Dictionary of all villages in Slovakia with complete historic
            data and pictures with all the old and new names for all villages
            in current Slovakia from their first ever mention in written records.

            Sold by that old Slovakia genealogy fraud Vladimir Linder who always
            over-priced the books he sold.
            Now he has grandchildren and perhaps he wants to retire.
            His price for 3 volumes is US$ 675.00 (six hundred and seventy-five
            dollars)

            Formerly I used

            K A K B bI || O >|< |/| B A E T E ? Russian (Cyrillic)
            (k ah k v i p a zh i v a yet yeh)

            Russian linguists suggested I change it.

            Russian

            How are things ?
            kak dyela ?

            What's new ?