Re: [S-R] Padina area families--Babuchna, Durgala, Dubovski +

  • savedbygrace1996
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 29, 2001
      Thanks for your response John. I found Padina in one of those
      traveler guides. The map shows it just a little northeast of
      Beograd. When my great-grandparents came over their place of
      residence was given as Lajosfalva.

      I've never seen "Babuchnova". That's very interesting. We're not
      really sure of the name origin although some of the family believed
      it to be Russian. I've also seen it spelled Bubuchna.

      I'll post my "to be translated's" in a separate post to the web.

      Thanks again,
      Tracy
    • John
      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 29, 2001
        At 01:31 PM 12/29/01 +0000, you wrote:
        >Thanks for your response John. I found Padina in one of those
        >traveler guides. The map shows it just a little northeast of
        >Beograd. When my great-grandparents came over their place of
        >residence was given as Lajosfalva.

        This would place your g-gparents in Serbia which is now
        Yugoslavia. Beograd is Belgrade. Lajosfalva is a Hungarian name I
        believe. What now is Slovakia was part of Upper Hungary until 1918. There
        was a town called Lajosfalva in Slovakia. It is now known as Ludovitova
        and is located a few miles north of Nitra in Western Slovakia.

        >I've never seen "Babuchnova". That's very interesting. We're not
        >really sure of the name origin although some of the family believed
        >it to be Russian. I've also seen it spelled Bubuchna.

        The "ova" ending is the feminine ending for many Slavic names. I believe
        the male family name would be Babuchna.

        John
      • frankly1us
        Message 3 of 9 , Dec 29, 2001
          --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@y..., "savedbygrace1996" <TracynPhillip@a...> wrote:
          > Thanks for your response John. I found Padina in one of those
          > traveler guides. The map shows it just a little northeast of
          > Beograd. When my great-grandparents came over their place of
          > residence was given as Lajosfalva.
          >
          > I've never seen "Babuchnova". That's very interesting. We're not
          > really sure of the name origin although some of the family believed
          > it to be Russian. I've also seen it spelled Bubuchna.
          >
          > I'll post my "to be translated's" in a separate post to the web.
          >
          > Thanks again,
          > Tracy

          Don't know your surnames, however...

          Padina is located 22 miles NNE of Beograd (Belgrade), Serbia
          (all that is left of former Yugoslavia)
          Before WW I, Nagylajosfalva (meaning large + Louis's + village in Magyar)
          was located north of Beograd in Torontál megye(county), Hungary.

          NATO and American airforces bombed Serbia in the 1990s.

          How are you ? English

          Ako sa más^ ? Slovak

          Kako ste ? Croatian/Slovene (Roman)

          K A K C T E ? Serbian/Bulgarian/Macedonian (Cyrillic)
          k ah k s t eh)

          K A K D E J| A' ? Russian (Cyrillic)
          (k ah k dy e l a )

          One of most common Slavic surname affixes is the one denoting gender
          of the bearer -ová (Slovak), -owa (Polish), and -oba (Russian).
          (Russians have three names : surname, first name and patronymic-
          which tells us the first name of the person's father)

          As a rule of Slavic grammar, female surnames end in -á, -ská, or -ová.
          The feminine form of the surnames is considered merely a separate form
          of same surname, not a distinct surname in itself.
          Babuchnová would be feminine gender form of name; family name
          Babuchna ?

          Many Polish surnames end in -ski or -cki.
          In older records you sometimes read -sky (before spelling rules
          were adapted); but in recent times tendency to insist on -ski.
          Probably a possessive affix added to name which evolved from person's
          characteristics (such as 'tall, short, etc.), occupation, or place of
          residence.
          If Dubovski was a Slovak surname it is spelled Dubovsky.

          Surname Drugala is associated with Vrbovce (Sk) Verbóc (H) in
          western Slovakia.
          and Spis^ská Nová Ves, Slovakia -interesting region.
          Germans, Slovaks, Rusyns, Croatians, Hungarians, and Poles.
          Don't know which group settled here first in 12th, 14th, and 16th
          centuries.

          Ellis Island Records lists in a German ship manifest :

          First, a mother, Maria Babuchna, age 25, Slovak, married.
          next, a Mihaly (Michael) Babuchna, Slovak, emigrated to the U.S.
          in 1912, age 5 years 6 months, from Nagylajos, Hungary, which
          was Nagylajosfalva misspelled.
          Next his brother Janos (John) Babuchna, age 1 year, 6 months.

          Then my maternal great GM (Frances Vidra) , age 61 , Slovak,
          now a widow, listed under a misspelled village in Upper-Hungary
          (now western Slovakia)
          That's a first for me. An actual related surname while researching other un=
          related surnames in ship manifest.

          What is strange is all the emigrants on page were Slovak and most
          from places
          located in western and eastern Slovakia.
          Except the Babuchna surname bearers and a few others were from Nagylajosfal=
          va (Yugoslavia)
        • savedbygrace1996
          Message 4 of 9 , Dec 29, 2001
            Thanks for all the very interesting information. THe Babuchna's that
            you found on the ship manifest are mine. Mihaly was Maria's husband
            and Janos was my grandfather. Mihaly made several trips to the U.S
            before Maria and the children came to join him but I only found one
            in the Ellis Island records. His naturalization papers have him
            emmigrating to the U.S. in March of 1910 onboard the Campania.

            Maria was the Dubovsky and a Paul Durgala was suppose to be her first
            cousin. He had at least two children: Palko and Anka.

            Some of the family is under the impression that the Babuchna's
            originated in Siberia, Russia.

            I sure do appreciate all your input.
            Thanks,
            Tracy
          • frankly1us
            Message 5 of 9 , Dec 29, 2001
              --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@y..., "savedbygrace1996" <TracynPhillip@a...> wrote:
              > Thanks for all the very interesting information. THe Babuchna's that
              > you found on the ship manifest are mine. Mihaly was Maria's husband
              > and Janos was my grandfather. Mihaly made several trips to the U.S
              > before Maria and the children came to join him but I only found one
              > in the Ellis Island records. His naturalization papers have him
              > emmigrating to the U.S. in March of 1910 onboard the Campania.
              >
              > Maria was the Dubovsky and a Paul Durgala was suppose to be her first
              > cousin. He had at least two children: Palko and Anka.
              >
              > Some of the family is under the impression that the Babuchna's
              > originated in Siberia, Russia.
              >
              > I sure do appreciate all your input.
              > Thanks,
              > Tracy

              The surnames Babuchnová, Dubovsky/Dubovská, and Durgala/Durgalová
              appear in the Slovakia censuses.

              A Andras (Andrew) Babuchna, age 27, emigrated to U.S. in 1907 from
              Nagylajosfalva (Yugoslavia)

              Paul (E) = Palko (H)

              In Russian B A B U CH N A
              6 a 6 y h h a (Cyrillic)

              inverted

              If so, surname religion should have been Russian Orthodox ?

              Of 18 surname Durgala listed in EIR, most were from Pinczéd, Bács-
              Bodrog megye, Hungary now located in former Yugoslavia (Serbia)
              Serbians also use the Cyrillic alphabet.
              Village Names:

              German: Ludwigsdorf
              Official: Padina
              Hungarian: Nagylajosfalva

              Location:

              Country: Yugoslavia
              N from Pancevo
              Postal Code: 26215
              Railroad station:
              Filial parish of: Glogau, Seffkerin

              Population:

              1931: 32 Germans

              Location:

              Country: Yugoslavia
              near Hodschag
              Postal-Code:
              Railroad station:

              Population:

              1921: 4,861 (350)
              1910: 4,955 (309)
              1880: 4,421 (393)

              Genealogical Records:

              Village name in FHL records:
              Church records available at FHL:
              FHL Microfilm Nr.:
              FHL Census Microfilm: Pivnitza in 1828: 622967

              Miscellaneous:

              Bibliography
              Earliest Appearance in History: 1650
              Earliest German Settlement: Before 1900
              Churches: Greek Orthodox/Bács diocese, Evangelical Lutheran/Bánya dioc=
              ese
              District: 5 - Hodschag
              Records in Parabutsch since 1785
              Records before 1785 in Hodschag

              You had better read Donauschwaben (German) URL below for
              Bánát and Backa regions.

              http://www.genealogienetz.de/reg/ESE/dsbanat.html
            • John
              Message 6 of 9 , Dec 29, 2001
                At 11:08 PM 12/29/01 +0000, you wrote:
                >Don't know your surnames, however...
                >
                >Padina is located 22 miles NNE of Beograd (Belgrade), Serbia
                >(all that is left of former Yugoslavia)
                >Before WW I, Nagylajosfalva (meaning large + Louis's + village in Magyar)
                >was located north of Beograd in Torontál megye(county), Hungary.
                >

                >NATO and American airforces bombed Serbia in the 1990s.
                >
                >How are you ? English
                >
                >Ako sa más^ ? Slovak
                >
                >Kako ste ? Croatian/Slovene (Roman)
                >
                >K A K C T E ? Serbian/Bulgarian/Macedonian (Cyrillic)
                >k ah k s t eh)
                >
                >K A K D E J| A' ? Russian (Cyrillic)
                >(k ah k dy e l a )

                Frank, is there a reference book that gives the names of the villages in
                Hungary over the past couple of centuries?

                In regard to the Russian greeting, K-ah-k po-zhi-vy-esh (phonetically)
                would be "How are you?" and K-ah-k dy-e-la would be "How's
                business?". I'm sure it's usage has given it essentially the same
                meaning. I was told the Russian dandies of the early 20th century replied
                to "Kak dyela" with "Kak sa-zh-a bi-ye-la". Translated it would be:
                "How's business?" and the reply "Like soot is white".

                Which reminds me of the one about two gentlemen sitting on a park bench in
                NYC talking. After about an hour one says to the other "You never asked me
                how's business?". The other then asks "How's business?". The first
                replies "Don't ask.".

                John
              • frankly1us
                Message 7 of 9 , Dec 30, 2001
                  --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@y..., John <jmatsko4@h...> wrote:
                  > At 11:08 PM 12/29/01 +0000, you wrote:
                  > >Don't know your surnames, however...
                  > >
                  > >Padina is located 22 miles NNE of Beograd (Belgrade), Serbia
                  > >(all that is left of former Yugoslavia)
                  > >Before WW I, Nagylajosfalva (meaning large + Louis's + village in Magya=
                  r)
                  > >was located north of Beograd in Torontál megye(county), Hungary.
                  > >

                  > >NATO and American airforces bombed Serbia in the 1990s.
                  > >
                  > >How are you ? English
                  > >
                  > >Ako sa más^ ? Slovak
                  > >
                  > >Kako ste ? Croatian/Slovene (Roman)
                  > >
                  > >K A K C T E ? Serbian/Bulgarian/Macedonian (Cyrillic)
                  > >k ah k s t eh)
                  > >
                  > >K A K D E J| A' ? Russian (Cyrillic)
                  > >(k ah k dy e l a )
                  >
                  > Frank, is there a reference book that gives the names of the villages in =

                  > Hungary over the past couple of centuries?
                  >
                  > In regard to the Russian greeting, K-ah-k po-zhi-vy-esh (phonetically)
                  > would be "How are you?" and K-ah-k dy-e-la would be "How's
                  > business?". I'm sure it's usage has given it essentially the same
                  > meaning. I was told the Russian dandies of the early 20th century replie=
                  > to "Kak dyela" with "Kak sa-zh-a bi-ye-la". Translated it would be:
                  > "How's business?" and the reply "Like soot is white".
                  >
                  > Which reminds me of the one about two gentlemen sitting on a park bench i=
                  > NYC talking. After about an hour one says to the other "You never asked =
                  me
                  > how's business?". The other then asks "How's business?". The first
                  > replies "Don't ask.".
                  >
                  > John

                  There are gazeteers that give names of villages over the centuries
                  for Slovakia and available only in Slovakia.
                  Some places had dozens or more different names over the years.
                  Was OP and then updated was successful and all printings sold out
                  in a week.
                  Cheaper trade paperback versions were also available in Bratislava.

                  Gazetteer by Milan Majté lists and indexes the communities with
                  their German, Hungarian, Slovak, Czech, Polish....names.
                  The Mormons have microfilmed this book.
                  Periodically new revised editions have been published.
                  It cost less than $10CDN in Slovakia

                  Nézy obcí na Slovensku za ostantych dvesto rokov (Place names in
                  Slovakia during the past 200 years) by Milan Majtén.

                  Or, titled " Nazvy obci Slovenskej republiky: vyvin v rokoch 1773-1997 ". =

                  "Names of settlements in Slovakia in last 200 years".

                  For example,Bardejov:

                  1773 Bartpha, Bartfa, Bartfeldt, Bardiow, 1786 Bartfeld, Bartfa,
                  Bardejow, 1808 Bartpha, Bartfa, Bardiow, Bardejow, Bardiuv, 1863-1913
                  Bartfa, 1920 Bardiov, 1927 Bardejov

                  Or, Hungarian (János) Dvorzsák Gazetteer (1870) is available at LDS FHCs
                  on microfilm film 599564 and on microfiche.

                  There is Hungarian Village Finder by subscription.
                  1 Full Year-- $29.95
                  Haven't subscribed as yet.

                  http://hungarianvillagefinder.com/

                  Then there is 3 Volume VLASTIVEDNY SLOVNIK OBCI NA SLOVENSKU
                  Dictionary of all villages in Slovakia with complete historic
                  data and pictures with all the old and new names for all villages
                  in current Slovakia from their first ever mention in written records.

                  Sold by that old Slovakia genealogy fraud Vladimir Linder who always
                  over-priced the books he sold.
                  Now he has grandchildren and perhaps he wants to retire.
                  His price for 3 volumes is US$ 675.00 (six hundred and seventy-five
                  dollars)

                  Formerly I used

                  K A K B bI || O >|< |/| B A E T E ? Russian (Cyrillic)
                  (k ah k v i p a zh i v a yet yeh)

                  Russian linguists suggested I change it.

                  Russian

                  How are things ?
                  kak dyela ?

                  What's new ?